Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo s40 2.0d 54 reg, turbo problem

Views : 2604

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 20:45   #1
paulcodurham

Default volvo s40 2.0d 54 reg, turbo problem

hi all, im having trouble with my car im looking for advice or if someone has had simular problems, here i go, the turbo doesnt boost properly, when you drive the car the turbo boosts but not as it should, if feels like its holding back and it works then stops for a second then kicks in then the car goes into limp mode sending message engine system service required and then the car sounds like a bag of ****, but then when turned off and restarted its fine untill i put my foot down,
i have had new turbo pipes fitted, also blanked off egr valve
also whe turbo is making quite a loud owl noise when reved up
please has anyone got any advice its been like this for afew month and starting to cost money, thanks all from paul
paulcodurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 21:08   #2
Lee '71

This is the sales thread (ie items to sell), you'd be better off and get some replies by reposting in the main section.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 21:13   #3
paulcodurham

im new to this lol ill have a look
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 13:54   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Moved it for you

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 14:24   #5
copperknob

It's not turbo fault you got its going into limp mode then when you switch off ignition it clears itself then drives ok..egr sticky ,fuel air leak take your pick get codes read and come back
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 19:25   #6
paulcodurham

egr been blanked off, it was doing it befor blanking it off its not gone into limp mode for some time now im wondering if it could be the turbo boost sensors
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:50   #7
copperknob

Could be I also had strange fault going into limp mode turned out to be glow plug relay .it was driven through water and shorted out kept bringing up tc valve could be anything get code read and come back
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:44   #8
paulcodurham

had the car pluged in and its bringing up no codes. still have the problem with the turbo, when i drive it i cant take it over 2.5 thousand revs or the car goes into limp mode untill i switch it off and start it up again, the turbo is making a loud owl noise, checked all pipes for turbo and all seem fine also sometimes turbo stops working alltogether and sounds like the exhaust it blown, there is no smoke or anything, its got me baffled lol any suggestions? loike culd the wastgate be stuck or could it be a sensor?
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 15:02   #9
Cosmin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcodurham View Post
had the car pluged in and its bringing up no codes. still have the problem with the turbo, when i drive it i cant take it over 2.5 thousand revs or the car goes into limp mode untill i switch it off and start it up again, the turbo is making a loud owl noise, checked all pipes for turbo and all seem fine also sometimes turbo stops working alltogether and sounds like the exhaust it blown, there is no smoke or anything, its got me baffled lol any suggestions? loike culd the wastgate be stuck or could it be a sensor?
Hi Paul,

Had some similar problems with my 2.0D MY2005. My simptoms were: started the car and turbo was ok until i idled for more than 10-15 seconds and it cut out. If I restarted the car is was ok until idle. It was pretty consistent and there was no real difference in the sound of the car and it didnt go into limp mode. The problem turned out the be the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module), in other words the throttle admission valve. Maybe you should have a look at this.

Cheers,
Cosmin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 23:10   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

sounds like classic symptoms of either a rip/tear in a boost pipe or intercooler or pipe.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote