Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CTEK battery charger recommendations & advice

Views : 3918

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:30   #21
ITSv40
VOC Member

The CTEK charger and the like is designed for permanent connection when the car is not being used. My cars sit in the garage permanently connected and always 'on the button' ready to go. Not sure how a CTEK would cope with charging a low battery sufficiently to start the car.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:51   #22
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Low Battery Warning.

Daughter’s 2010 XC70 flashes up the “low battery” warning within a couple of minutes if engine off but radio on or a door/tailgate left open. First time it happened I checked the battery voltage. It was above 12.7v. Main dealer has been unable to give us a satisfactory explanation. ie: “don’t worry about it”.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:07   #23
Bioly1975

Default ctek

i have c tek 5.0 very happy with this product

but now im looking to buy some new accessory for it

https://www.hardwarexpress.co.uk/cte...SABEgKHQvD_BwE
Bioly1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:15   #24
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Daughter’s 2010 XC70 flashes up the “low battery” warning within a couple of minutes if engine off but radio on or a door/tailgate left open. First time it happened I checked the battery voltage. It was above 12.7v. Main dealer has been unable to give us a satisfactory explanation. ie: “don’t worry about it”.
Likely a failing battery, or a loose battery connection somewhere causing too much voltage drop.

Get yourself a CTEK Battery Sense, install it, and then monitor the battery in the app.

After a few days the Battery Sense app will give you a very accurate state of your battery.

I speak from experience, I installed it on my car last week, and it works really well. But my battery is good
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 09:28   #25
Ian21401
Premier Member

As far as I’m aware there is no voltage drop. Voltage measured across the battery terminals is 12.6 to 12.7. I’ve not heard of the CTEK battery sense but will investigate same.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 19th, 2019 at 09:30. Reason: Add text
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:48   #26
Ian21401
Premier Member

One thing that I need to understand is the car still showed “Battery Low Charge” when I turned on the ignition after charging was complete, and also even after starting the engine and switching off again.

I guess the car needs to be driven? or the cars battery monitoring system needs time work out the battery is now charged? Does anyone know the answer to this?
[/QUOTE] ( buzzman]

We also experience this phenomenon on our XC70, 2010, D5. When checked, the battery shows a good charge. I understand that there is some sort of battery state monitoring device attached to the positive terminal of the battery but I do not understand whether something needs re- calibrating, and if so, how. As the car seems to be fitted with a battery monitor I am not inclined to spend money on another similar device.
I would welcome a definitive explanation of this monitoring device/system, in layman’s language please? This is slightly off topic so thought I should start a new thread in relevant section.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 19th, 2019 at 10:56. Reason: Add text.