Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 gearbox option

Views : 476

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:34   #1
SteveE83

Default XC60 gearbox option

Hello,

I am new to volvo having been other makes for a number of years.

I am looking at getting an XC60 around a 15 to 16 plate car and have come across one which states it is a manual but has a Geartronic option as an added extra. Whilst looking at the limited pictures I can view it looks like it has a manual gear sticknd a clutch. Am I going mad or is this possible for it to be manual and automatic?

I know that like with many other makes volvo make a automatic gearbox that has the option to shift the gear selector to the side and use it in a semi manual way.

Any info or advice that could clear things up in my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Thans
Steve
SteveE83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 16:44   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I have never heard of it and I will only buy a manual car. My MY10 xc70 is about the latest to have manual gearbox option.
Geartronic offers manual overide of the top 3 gears only, as I found out on a test drive and in truth found to be neither fish nor fowl , as it didnot give the engine braking nor the gear selection of a true manual .

Given all manufacturers drift to auto only this will be my last volvo. Next tow car will be a full fat 4x4 toyota.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 17:06   #3
SteveE83

Hi Paul.

That's why I was getting confused also. Thanks for getting in touch though!

Steve
SteveE83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveE83 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 18:54   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I have never heard of it and I will only buy a manual car. My MY10 xc70 is about the latest to have manual gearbox option.
Geartronic offers manual overide of the top 3 gears only, as I found out on a test drive

Paul.
Which car was that on Paul ? I’m sure that daughter’s V50 had manual override on all gears. I wasn’t familiar with the system so I tried it on a hill descent when we test drove it. Not so sure about her present XC70 but I will check it out when I get the chance as I know that it has a “hill descent” feature.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 19:10   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Which car was that on Paul ? I’m sure that daughter’s V50 had manual override on all gears. I wasn’t familiar with the system so I tried it on a hill descent when we test drove it. Not so sure about her present XC70 but I will check it out when I get the chance as I know that it has a “hill descent” feature.
2017 XC90 Ian.

That also had Hill decent but I only tried it in 1st as the salesman told me that was the only gear it worked on. The top 3 gears I found out about when I tried to manually select 3rd gear and found it would not shift down from 4th. It would shift up and down 4th 5th 6th only.

As I said I like manual gearboxes, the test drive was to see if I could live with auto . It confirmed my prejudice and I didn't buy it. Will hang on to my manual xc70 for a bit, when I change it will be for a full fat 4x4 toyota.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 22:43   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

I still drive a manual and, on balance, I think that I prefer it. Daughter bought the V50 I spoke of and I drove it frequently. It did not have a “hill descent” mode. I was quite happy with the override of the “geartronic”. When the lever was moved over to select “geartronic” the dashboard display changed from D to display whatever gear the gearbox was actually in at that time, ie 1 or 2 etc. and the displayed number changed as one changed gear. “Simples”. However,
when “geartronic” is selected on her present XC70, the display changes to S, which I suspect relates to “Sport”. It only changes to display the actual gear when one actually changes up or down. Both she and I don’t like that all and cannot understand the logic of whoever designed. Yes, the “hill descent” is only selectable when in 1st gear. When I drove Range Rovers on the “job” I simply changed into low ratio and kept my foot off the throttle and off the brakes. I had control.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: