Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 calipers - are they a pair ?

Views : 368

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 13:17   #1
Volvoldermort

Default 240 calipers - are they a pair ?

Hi forum !!!

My father purchased these calipers several years ago as spares to the 240 estate; they're refurbished ( i believe ) by XL / Remy.

Now the larger of the two resembles a 240 caliper but i'm questioning the ATE one because it's smaller with different features.

Am i just being a complete idiot ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2431.JPG (93.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2432.JPG (111.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2433.JPG (94.0 KB, 20 views)
Volvoldermort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 14:34   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Admittedly I could be confused (am just in for grub mid changing the calipers on my 145....) but they look completely different to each other. I agree the nearer one in your pic looks like how I remember the 240 one to look, but the other looks far smaller - perhaps only 3 pistons? Unless I'm mistaken that would make it a front caliper for a Volvo Amazon?
Can anybody else confirm.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 14:42   #3
Volvoldermort

You are correct - as i said in my post, the top one is smaller but they were packed and sold as a pair.
Volvoldermort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:46   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The lower one is a 4-piston caliper, which makes it 200-series compatible (except for the very late, ABS-equipped cars) while the other is a 3-piston caliper, which I suspect belongs to an Amazon or P1800. A matched pair they most definitely are not

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 12:15   #5
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Both are 4 piston calipper.

No 740 is with 4 piston calipper. Maybe in first year.

No Amazon.

I think one is with vented disc, the other not.

So: one is P1800E/ES or 140 (and maybe very early 240, I don't know if they where with solid discs), the other is 164 or 240 early

won't match together.

have a nice day, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:07   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The early 244DL/245DL (up to 1979/80) had solid front discs; all others had ventilated front discs with necessarily thicker front calipers.

Although the mountings are identical the calipers are not interchangeable.

If the original poster's calipers are both 4-piston then it is possible that the upper one is for a 240 - some cars had ATE brakes at one end or the other although every 240 I've worked on had AP-Lockheed (Girling) calipers all-round.

The 900-series cars used sliding-calipers up front as, it would appear, did the 700-series cars so neither caliper is suitable for one of these cars.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 16:08   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

Unfortunately the numbers cast into 240 (at least) caliper bodies bears no resemblance to the numbers quoted by suppliers like Brookhouse (I know cos I just looked at my spare set - the weekend's 140 calipers had to go back as deposit). Similarly their numbers are not the same as the likes of Skandix, so......
If you as bored/housebound as I am this afternoon (!) have a look at the numbers shown on-line and you will see they say single-circuit calipers for the Amazon range are different to dual-circuit brake cars, Girling and ATE are different front/rear for the 140/164 range, ditto the 240 range (excluding ABS cars which are different again). Note that No CALIPERS AMONGST THESE GO ACROSS THE RANGE!
Therefore my recommendation: note the numbers on yours then take 'em back, if only to ask them to prove what you have.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote