Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wading depth on flooded roads

Views : 5517

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2012, 13:28   #1
RM955I
Premier Member

Default Wading depth on flooded roads

What with all the flooding we've had I've been thinking a lot about wading depth as I've had to go through some fairly deep flooded roads: obviously the penalty for getting it wrong is massive due to hydraulic lock but I've used common sense and the proper technique of going slowly but fast enough to create a bow-wave (I've seen some right idiots go hammering into water far too fast).

I was just curious about other people's experiences of 'fording'/'wading' and whether there is actually a specified wading depth for different vehicles other than the XC range which have one quoted.

Luckily my 2005 V70 2.4 petrol has the air intake up high, behind the grille underneath the slam panel...but still worried that there should be other factors to consider when assessing whether to wade through or not and I'm always slightly worried about pushing my luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 13:33   #2
S60 PNV
VOC Member

this is why the 4C models need a "Ford" mode where the suspension jacks the whole car up 8 inches off the ground
S60 PNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 14:01   #3
CPH

This is only my personal choice but I generally won't ford water if I think it will come up to the sills.

Hydraulic lock is a major problem and I don't think even water at sill depth would pose a problem where this is concerned but I don't like the idea of chassis cavities being filled with water.

I think the advice from motoring organisations is to avoid standing water deeper than half a wheel deep.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 15:59   #4
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
What with all the flooding we've had I've been thinking a lot about wading depth as I've had to go through some fairly deep flooded roads: obviously the penalty for getting it wrong is massive due to hydraulic lock but I've used common sense and the proper technique of going slowly but fast enough to create a bow-wave (I've seen some right idiots go hammering into water far too fast).

I was just curious about other people's experiences of 'fording'/'wading' and whether there is actually a specified wading depth for different vehicles other than the XC range which have one quoted.

Luckily my 2005 V70 2.4 petrol has the air intake up high, behind the grille underneath the slam panel...but still worried that there should be other factors to consider when assessing whether to wade through or not and I'm always slightly worried about pushing my luck!
As a matter of interest where would I find the "wading depth" for my XC70?? Been through some pretty deep water recently.

Also. cautionary tale, pal of mine drowned his A4 petrol in 12" of water, sucked water in, motor u/s, car write-off, and to add insult to injury the AA wouldn't come out to him 'cos it was "his own fault" !!! The "fourth emergency service" - don't believe it....... AG

Last edited by Auldgit; Nov 26th, 2012 at 15:59. Reason: missed words
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auldgit For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:06   #5
subaqua
Master Member

and please be careful where the water is moving. what seems like a slow moving stream can move 2 ton of metal very very easily.

Cymraeg ac yn falch
subaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:29   #6
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Having worked in an area that was prone to flooding, one of the biggest issues they had was people driving through and creating the bow wave. This would then cause a swell that would go over the sand bags and flood their house... understandably they were getting a bit pi$$ed off with them....

If you can avoid it do so, even if it is going a longer route.

Personally I wouldn't drive a petrol through any depth of water; the electrics are too delicate. Also the height of the bonnet isn't that high if someone else is coming towards you creating a bow wave; the clapotis that results may well go into your air intake.

As someone has said, it doesn't take a lot to push a car sideways; in fact in Aus it's quite common for people out 4wding in a group for the pickups to get washed downstream, whilst the Land Cruiser/Patrol is fine; it's all to do with the weight in the back.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:34   #7
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldgit View Post
As a matter of interest where would I find the "wading depth" for my XC70?? Been through some pretty deep water recently.

Also. cautionary tale, pal of mine drowned his A4 petrol in 12" of water, sucked water in, motor u/s, car write-off, and to add insult to injury the AA wouldn't come out to him 'cos it was "his own fault" !!! The "fourth emergency service" - don't believe it....... AG

If its the new shaped XC70 the details are:-

Vehicle Ground Clearance, mm 210
With 2 Persons, mm 195
Wading Depth, mm 300
Approach Angle 19°
Departure Angle 24°
Breakover Angle 20°

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Document...-pricelist.pdf

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:38   #8
GMad
Premier Member

Unusual question?
My policy has always been, if it's too deep, the car will come to a grinding halt.
If it looks like it's too deep, I don't bother trying
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:47   #9
CPH

I also won't even think about it if I can't see the end of the flood.

I guess the bottom line comes down to: how much is your car worth to you as a tool/asset vs how much it is worth to you to ford this section of flooded road?

I can't imagine that in many scenarios the inconvenience of not making it to your destination on time, or even at all, outweighs the repair/replacement cost of your car should the worst happen.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:52   #10
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
If its the new shaped XC70 the details are:-

Vehicle Ground Clearance, mm 210
With 2 Persons, mm 195
Wading Depth, mm 300
Approach Angle 19°
Departure Angle 24°
Breakover Angle 20°

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Document...-pricelist.pdf
No mine's an '07. The brochure for mine doesn't seem to give details, but I expect it will be similar to the later model. Cheers AG
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote