Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clicking noise from rear wheel

Views : 5793

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2019, 20:00   #1
HRA

Default Clicking noise from rear wheel

For a long time now I've noticed a clicking/tapping noise coming from the rear offside wheel. It's not unlike someone flicking a plastic cup. At first I thought it was an intermittent problem but now I've realised that I need the driver's window open to hear it and I need to be driving close to something like a wall or hedge to get the noise echoed back to me. I get the impression that it is louder than before, but maybe I'm just more sensitive to it.

The clicking is rhythmic and varies with the speed of the car. I get the click in all forward gears, coasting in neutral or coasting with my foot on the clutch. At a guess I'd say it was one click per turn of the wheel, but it is only a guess. Interestingly, I think I only get the click when I drive forwards - I can't hear any clicking in reverse.

I can't see anything fouling the wheel while it is on the ground. I've jacked the car up and turned the wheel both ways by hand but there's no clicking. I've jacked the wheel off the ground, supported it under the axle, started the engine and run the wheel in first, second and reverse gears but still no clicking. I've repeated the exercise with both rear wheels off the ground - no clicking. But as soon as I've got all four wheels on the ground and I'm driving there's the click again.

I've had the rear brakes overhauled at the local garage but the clicking is still there. At the same time I put the rear drums up on a lathe and turned them "true". (There was plenty of metal there so I'm confident I haven't made them too thin.)

I've topped-up the gearbox oil and the differential but that's made no difference. The wheel bearings feel OK (no obvious play in the wheel) and there's no growling noise of dying bearing. The noise has also survived a new tyre, and I think it was still there while I was driving around on the spare wheel.

I'm at the point of giving-up and taking the car back to the garage, but I imagine that searching for such an elusive problem won't be cheap. Before I do that is there anything obvious I've missed? Has anyone had (and cured?) the same problem?
HRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 20:52   #2
amazondean
amazondean

Take the guts out of the rear drum as much as you can regarding the brake sprongs and slacken the shoes off completely and drive up the road. I think it has something to do with the hand brake!

Last edited by amazondean; Feb 24th, 2019 at 20:58.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 20:59   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you're thinking about taking it to a garage how about one with MOT rollers so that they can gradually increase the wheel speed while you listen for noise.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 22:32   #4
HRA

Thanks amazondean. I did wonder about the handbrake, but I had the clicking both before and after the brakes were overhauled. The mechanic who did the job has been working there for years and the garage does quite a bit of work on classic cars, so I'd trust them to have put everything back in the right order.

If it is something to do with the handbrake why isn't there any clicking when I have the wheel off the ground? With a stand under the axle surely the brake mechanism and drum won't "know" they're in mid-air?
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 22:35   #5
HRA

Hi Derek UK. I was thinking along the same lines - surely it must click on a rolling road. But it doesn't need to be fast to get the click - even at walking-pace it's there. My wife kindly walked along beside the car this afternoon to confirm that the noise is coming from just one wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to HRA For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 23:26   #6
old fart
Master Member

Could it be the bearing faulty in some way that it only shows up when the weight of the car is on the wheel, but not when the wheel is in the air?
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 23:52   #7
HRA

Thanks old fart. I think it could be, though I'm not quite sure how. There's nothing different about the Amazon's wheel-bearings - they're just the same as bearings on lots of cars of that era and beyond. But I've never heard of one clicking like this.

If it does turn out to be the bearing then I'd be surprised that whatever fault is causing the click hasn't caused more drastic failure by now. I don't do many miles in a year but I think the click must have been there for the last 15,000 miles. It may be getting louder, but maybe that's my imagination.

I suppose that's one saving grace - whatever's causing it, it probably isn't going to let me down in a hurry. Now I've gone and jinxed it!
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 10:28   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm shooting in the dark here, but....

All the anti-rattle springs I've bought recently are terrible quality and break ending up inside the drum making an awkward noise.

That's the little U-shaped clip that slots in between the upper spring and the hand-brake actuating lever. It stopped the spring vibrating against the handbrake lever. I've just stopped using them.

You'll need to look inside the drums.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 10:47   #9
HRA

Thanks swedishandgerman - I'll put it on the list of things to look for.

I'm not sure that the clicking sounds like something broken rattling around in the drum - it seems far too rhythmic for that - it really is a steady beat. And it's odd that it only does it with the wheel on the road and not when I've got the car jacked-up. Does any part of the brake mechanism alignment change when the wheel is off the ground?
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:09   #10
dave morton

From a simplistic angle have you checked the tyre tread for a nail or stone that is caught in there as a nail is what my clicking problem was on my xc90.
dave morton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave morton For This Useful Post: