Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

known issues or happy drivers of XC60 SE lux 2014>17

Views : 1538

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 18:44   #1
Rjhobday

Default known issues or happy drivers of XC60 SE lux 2014>17

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here. I'm looking to purchase a XC60 SE Lux 14 onwards model. I have my eye on a few that are under 50k miles.

Is there anything I should be keeping my eye out for when buying one of these? Known issues? Parts that wear excessively quick? Etc? Or any owners current or previous or have been stung? Or just happy owners who recommend it?

Just basically wanted to get some information and a general feel from the horse's mouth (you owners) on the motor essentially

Thanks in advance
Rjhobday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 19:58   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Unless you buy an AWD variant, then it'll almost certainly have the 4-cylinder VEA engine... it's a great engine but has known problems associated with the EGR and cooler, so it'd be worth checking that the upgraded/modified parts have been fitted. This thread covers this issue pretty throughly:- https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 20:48   #3
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

I would echo the above EGR comment. I have the XC60 SE Lux Nav 8 speed auto 2015 with the VEA 2ltr 181hp engine. With the exception of the EGR replacement under warranty it has been bomb proof over its 90k miles.I tow a considerable amount of time and the 8 speed Aisin built autobox is first class. Forget the sealed for life claim. Towing the g/box does require an oil change every 2nd year and Volvo now specify every 5 years for non towing. Pulls extremely well and in sublime comfort. There's a reason a Stockholm Cinema has Volvo car seating!
Only minor niggle is the lack of an engine oil dipstick (its electronic!)
So do check the EGR has been replaced from the original and you should have a reliable and comfortable car.

Last edited by Dash300; Mar 1st, 2019 at 20:49. Reason: added XC60
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 13:11   #4
smudgers

I agree with whats been said. Great car, super smooth auto, very comfy.
The 2.0 engine is let down by the already stated problems, BUT Volvo seem pretty good on repairing the known issues for free or for a small contribution.
Would it stop me buying one.?
No
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 15:57   #5
BEJ

Had mine for 3 1/2 years now and the only time it has been in the garage was for a factory recall to change a suspect fuel pipe. It has done 32,000 miles and is still on the original pads and discs and no EGR troubles.
As said above, a superb, comfortable car, with a seamless change from the 8 speed gearbox. It is remarkably quick on accelleration for a 2 ton motor car.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 16:09   #6
WABB
Volvo Owner

I've owned a 63 reg D5 SE Lux (215bhp) Nav G/T & currently have a 17reg D5 SE Lux (220bhp) Nav G/T - both very reliable vehicles. One sat nav issue with the 63 car took 2/3 weeks to resolve but courtesy car was provided (an XC70) but other than that reliability has been excellent. I found Murray Volvo in Edinburgh to be a good dealer but sadly has now been taken over by John Clark. I ran the 63 car to 45k miles over 3.5 years on with no other issues (no pads/discs/DPF etc required). The later car is a slightly better drive, however the XC60 will never be the quickest, quietest or cheapest to run but I have found it hard to beat as a very good all round package. I would advise you to go for the latest model in your budget, with full Volvo service history. Hope this helps.
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 18:28   #7
AngloScot
Master Member

I've had mine from new (April 2014)and done 35k miles and never had a problem, most comfortable car I've ever had. I have only changed the front tyres and there is still lots of tread on the rears. The EGR problem hasn't happened on mine so fingers crossed it doesn't. When washed the car still looks like new. The seats are brilliant. Still love it.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:04   #8
Mick787

I've had my 65 plate manual D5 AWD for almost two years. Probably the best car I've owned to date. Have a 'police dipstick' fitted as a part of any deal you do; I also had the Polestar upgrade done to put it to 230bhp when it was on offer recently. The car always does 37mpg, it sounds superb and pulls like a steam train.

The worst thing about ANY car ownership are the main dealers, every aspect of them stinks. I've yet to find an honest and trustworthy one.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 17:42   #9
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I'm on my 2nd XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic SE Lux.

1st I did around 20,000 mile in 16 months, only issues were a new battery (at about 5 yrs old) & a replacement Alternator replaced not long after getting it.

Current car is a 2015 MY with lots of Toy's & Polestar (I got it when I purchased it), pulls really well esp when in sport & growls really well. I can do a 300 mile drive & get out without feeling any ill effects. The ABL & AHB with the xenon lights are the best I've ever had on a car. Sound system (H & K) is fantastic. Everything just works as it should & really easy to use.

I wouldn't swap it for anything, well apart from a new shaped one with all the toys which may be on the radar later this year.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 15:17   #10
mbrain

As above with the EGR mod.

Also, check the fuel filter has been changed on every other service, i.e 2nd/4th etc or 36k/72k. Changing it cured the stalling on my 181 D4.
I bought mine a year ago at 42K. Now on 57k.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote