Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D5 EGR Code Fault

Views : 9538

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 13:39   #1
ComradeBT

Default V60 D5 EGR Code Fault

Hello all. My first time onto the Volvo forum so please forgive me if this informaiton is a repetition of issues others have posted on previously.

I own a 2014 V60 D5 diesel and last week an engine management warning light illuminated itself on my dash. I read that this could be an emissions warning problem so took my car into a Volvo dealership for investigation. Upon inspection (which cost me £80!) I was informed there was a EGR error which, from a download of the error codes, suggested there was a requirement for EGR cooler and also a 02 Sensor clear out.

I was told by the dealership the sensor had been cleared and then they thought (there wasn't absolute clarification at all on this) the best steps were to have an EGR valve/EGR cooler replace (A 25411 code) at a cost of £221 and also the following:

M V31370267 N/STOCK Gasket (at a cost of £20)
M V31370981 03C02 Gasket (at a cost of £18)
M V32213478 N/STK Gasket (at a cost of £9)
M V00988939 N/STOCK Sems screw (at a cost of £10)
M V36011509 N/STK EGR COOLER, EX (at a cost of £365)

A total of £684 + VAT !!!!!

All of the above came with no definition of what the issue might be, merely a suggestion there could be a problem with the emissions and that the receommended approach (presuambly from a print out the engineer simply read, rather than a response formed from a personal knowledge base). When pressed by myself on whether the issie was owing to a build-up of diesel particles in the exhaust I was told "Yes, that could be the case". It was totally unconvincing in response and at a total cost to me of £821 to fix the 'problem' I am wholly unconvinced.

The dealership simply expected me to give them the nod to get the work doen there and then and seemed non-plussed when I suggested I need to read up about this supposed issue rather than handing them over a 'blank cheque'.

About 2 hours after leaving the dealership, the warning light returned to the dash inside my car.

I was provided with a 4-page print-out from the dealership which includes the below:

VST Operation Number
98624-2 - cooling system EGR, modyfying acc. to TJ 30887
36001-2 - diagnostic trouble codes read / reset / known Diagnostic trouble codes with VIDA

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes
ECU - ECM P04D900
DTC - P04D900
Fault Type - Permanent

Text Description
* SPA vehicles removed since they are not involved
If Check Engline Light has been lit and DTC ECM P04D900 may have been posted, follow instructions under "Service". Reason for clogging may be ambient conditions, driving habitsm fuel content or a combination of these.

Service:
Follow attached instruction. To get correct hose kit and instruction, please see attachement "Variants EGR cooler rebuilding.xlsl". For any other DTC, follow fault tracing in VIDA. This TJ is only valid for DTC ECM P04D900

-- I hope the information above provides enough detail for someone to offer some advice to me on this. I've read of possible EGR issues and confusion of late so what should be the true, recommended action from this point?
Many thanks all!!
ComradeBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 16:46   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If the EGR is clogged up with soot and failled, then replacing it is the right solution.

EGR valves dont last forever.
The new EGR will last about the same as the old EGR.

The more longer journeys you do, the longer the EGR will last.
Likewise, the more cold starts and short journeys, the quicker the EGR gets clogged.

I read you post twice and everything sounds normal. What the dealer proposes will fix it.

Only cost saving option is to remove and clean the EGR and refit it yourself. Assuming the valve works OK after cleaning. It might not. Which may mean remove and fot a new one.

EGRs are great for emissions but a pain because they don’t last forever. Almost every car brand suffers EGR failures after 10 years / 100,000 kms.

Some fail earlier if driving habits produce a lot of soot.

So best thing to do is fit a new EGR cooler. That’s it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Mar 3rd, 2019 at 16:49.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 16:19   #3
ComradeBT

Hello. Thank you for the response.

I'm surprised the EGR has failed after just 4 years, especially as I do travel on a number of long, motorway journeys (and have done a lot of late specifically).

My concern is over the cost of replacing the EGR Cooler*. £800!!!! That's VERY expensive. Ok, so that is the Volvo dealership price where any servicing/maintenance comes at a higher cost. Would you recommend any Volvo affiliated/approved facility that would be cheaper than an actual dealership? Or, alternatively, would a regular car garage be knowledgeable enough to carry out this work?

Thanks,

Ben

* EGR Cooler - is this engine emissions part two-fold, in the form of an EGR Valve and also an EGR Cooler component too?
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:31   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

i thought your was d5 so to be clear is your 4cylinder vea engine or 5 cylinder engine

ecm-p04d900 cooler renewal then check egr valve for siezure sticky?
make sure its had new hose kit fitted also check inlet manifold temp sensor,e-map sensor for clocgging up O2 sensor clean out reset adaptions

is it on latest ecm sw?
have they done cylinder leak test ?

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 21:50   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

If this was a VEA (4 cylinder) engine then the work would have been done for free.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 22:27   #6
ComradeBT

Apologies, my vehcicle is a Volvo V60 D4 R-Design. NOT D5. I must've mistakenly typed that at the beggining of the post.

In response to the previous post asking the below questions:

ecm-p04d900 cooler renewal then check egr valve for siezure sticky?
make sure its had new hose kit fitted also check inlet manifold temp sensor,e-map sensor for clocgging up O2 sensor clean out reset adaptions

is it on latest ecm sw?
have they done cylinder leak test ?

-- I have been provided with no additional detail from the Volvo dealership whatsoever. As I wrote in my original post, the dealership were vague on detail to say the least and merely told me the 'recommeneded approach from the code downloads'. When pushed on what the issue might be, I was only told it was owing to emissions particles. That's it. Nothing else at all.

£800 for uncertainty? I'm dubious to say the least.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 10:58   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBT View Post
Hello all. My first time onto the Volvo forum so please forgive me if this informaiton is a repetition of issues others have posted on previously.

I own a 2014 V60 D5 diesel and last week an engine management warning light illuminated itself on my dash. I read that this could be an emissions warning problem so took my car into a Volvo dealership for investigation. Upon inspection (which cost me £80!) I was informed there was a EGR error which, from a download of the error codes, suggested there was a requirement for EGR cooler and also a 02 Sensor clear out.

I was told by the dealership the sensor had been cleared and then they thought (there wasn't absolute clarification at all on this) the best steps were to have an EGR valve/EGR cooler replace (A 25411 code) at a cost of £221 and also the following:

M V31370267 N/STOCK Gasket (at a cost of £20)
M V31370981 03C02 Gasket (at a cost of £18)
M V32213478 N/STK Gasket (at a cost of £9)
M V00988939 N/STOCK Sems screw (at a cost of £10)
M V36011509 N/STK EGR COOLER, EX (at a cost of £365)

A total of £684 + VAT !!!!!

All of the above came with no definition of what the issue might be, merely a suggestion there could be a problem with the emissions and that the receommended approach (presuambly from a print out the engineer simply read, rather than a response formed from a personal knowledge base). When pressed by myself on whether the issie was owing to a build-up of diesel particles in the exhaust I was told "Yes, that could be the case". It was totally unconvincing in response and at a total cost to me of £821 to fix the 'problem' I am wholly unconvinced.

The dealership simply expected me to give them the nod to get the work doen there and then and seemed non-plussed when I suggested I need to read up about this supposed issue rather than handing them over a 'blank cheque'.

About 2 hours after leaving the dealership, the warning light returned to the dash inside my car.

I was provided with a 4-page print-out from the dealership which includes the below:

VST Operation Number
98624-2 - cooling system EGR, modyfying acc. to TJ 30887
36001-2 - diagnostic trouble codes read / reset / known Diagnostic trouble codes with VIDA

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes
ECU - ECM P04D900
DTC - P04D900
Fault Type - Permanent

Text Description
* SPA vehicles removed since they are not involved
If Check Engline Light has been lit and DTC ECM P04D900 may have been posted, follow instructions under "Service". Reason for clogging may be ambient conditions, driving habitsm fuel content or a combination of these.

Service:
Follow attached instruction. To get correct hose kit and instruction, please see attachement "Variants EGR cooler rebuilding.xlsl". For any other DTC, follow fault tracing in VIDA. This TJ is only valid for DTC ECM P04D900

-- I hope the information above provides enough detail for someone to offer some advice to me on this. I've read of possible EGR issues and confusion of late so what should be the true, recommended action from this point?
Many thanks all!!
this should be carried out FREE! it is well known problem by volvo dealers , go to a higher level .or another dealer ..
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 14:02   #8
ComradeBT

Thanks for that. It sound encouraging that there is belief Volvo should be carrying this fix out for free.

Is there any recall notice or information I can refer to or quote from to ask for this issue to be fixed by them gratis??
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:49   #9
ComradeBT

Would anyone be able to confirm the position with Volvo having to pay for an EGR fault on a V6 D4 engine please? Are there specific reports/notices/statements issues I can take back to the Volvo dealership with to hold them to account and ask them to cover the cost of the problem please?

Thanks all.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 12:42   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Coincidentally, mine went in to the dealers just this Wednesday following a major power loss (it had to be recovered due to becoming undriveable). The diagnosis was that the EGR valve had stuck open and - despite my belief that the replacement would be fully funded by Volvo - the dealer was only able to obtain a 50% goodwill gesture due to my car being over 4 years old (implying perhaps that if just a few weeks earlier I might have received 100%?). This work was quoted to be £370 (half the parts and labour) + £60 for the diagnostics, so a total of £430 for me to pay.

However, while replacing the valve they discovered that the cooler was becoming blocked and also needed replacing... fortunately this replacement WAS covered by a 100% Volvo goodwill payment. Even luckier, because the valve replacement labour was covered by the cooler replacement it resulted in me only having to pay a total of £373.

Only collected the car yesterday and it now seems fine. Shrewsbury Volvo have a computer terminal linked to Volvo UK that gives them an instant automated reply in regard to goodwill claims... Several questions are asked, including details of service history (mine has FVSH), was the car bought from a Volvo dealer (mine wasn't) and, oddly, is it your first Volvo (it is).

I have paperwork relating to the work and what exactly I paid for if you have further questions.