Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter

Views : 8833

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:48   #131
Dippydog
Premier Member

Like it or not,use it or not in many cases it is the cars that will go 0-62mph in milliseconds on their way to a warp factor 9 top speed and a gazillion bhp that get people into the showrooms and buying the dog slow basic rep mobile.It's all part of the "halo" effect similar to the old adage "race on Sunday sell on Monday".It will all be pretty academic in the not too distant future when autonomous vehicles rule the roads-that is until someone hacks the system and starts using them to play dodgems.
Dippydog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:58   #132
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Like it or not,use it or not in many cases it is the cars that will go 0-62mph in milliseconds on their way to a warp factor 9 top speed and a gazillion bhp that get people into the showrooms and buying the dog slow basic rep mobile.It's all part of the "halo" effect similar to the old adage "race on Sunday sell on Monday".It will all be pretty academic in the not too distant future when autonomous vehicles rule the roads-that is until someone hacks the system and starts using them to play dodgems.
Good point, how’re you gunna stop those who program out the limiter? There’s always a way no matter what, unless there’s a way to enforce it baring in mind we have limited police cover to do this.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 19:28   #133
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
So have a top end limiter.... Let’s be generous and say 75mph, I’m fairly sure manufacturers can combat some of these issues by using software on modern machines.
And using the machine where limits are different ?
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 20:40   #134
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
And using the machine where limits are different ?
Yeahhhh..... this where it becomes complicated i.e. Trucks and Vans.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 08:18   #135
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
So have a top end limiter.... Let’s be generous and say 75mph, I’m fairly sure manufacturers can combat some of these issues by using software on modern machines.
I am fairly sure that they cannot without multiple controllable gyroscopes able to change the balance of a bike. The thing would stand up on its own without a stand. I would hate to see a riderless one of those coming down the road.

But regardless, if the reason behind this concept of limiting top end speed was to save lives then they would just ban motorcycles and bicycles as it would save so many more lives.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 17:15   #136
The Thong
VOC Member

Well..... IMHO, cars should be limited towns without question, the limits are the limits as the laws are the laws and safety is safety. You’ll hear the roars of those who don’t want their driving experiences ruined. Motorbikes? Never had one but I’ve been in hospital with plenty of mangled up riders etc etc. Personally I think Volvo have the right idea but how it’s gunna affect their sales remains to be seen.
Speed isn’t the be all and end all of reducing deaths on our roads and this is proved by fatal accidents caused in limited speed areas like motorway roadworks etc. Lane hoggers are one of the biggest dangers on our roads and it seems to have become more popular since it became illegal (being bad feels good eh), I seen it a lot. All the best tech and speed limiters will never beat stupid but it can improve things a bit.

It’s been a blast chaps.

TT
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 18:22   #137
green van man
Premier Member

Every car, van or motorcycle has a biult in limiter, a point where it just will not go any faster, this will vary dependant upon the make and model of the vehicle and it allows some to go faster than others.

Introduce speed limiters as they have on trucks and you will have the same problem as trucks. Racing elephants.

My 5 ton works van is limited to 56 mph. Because it has a digital tachograph it is a true 56mph, I was there when the tachograph was recalibrated and saw the speed setting, if it had the older analogue tachograph it would of been set to 53 mph to alow for the inaccuracies of the monitoring system of the truck.
Now add load into the equation and 2 vehicles both limited to the same speed but one will be faster than the other and if behind constantly running up against the other and having to back off, loose momentum and it's costing time and fuel to regain it. So truck starts to overtake the slower one, 3 miles later he is passed, but it's a 2 lane motorway so all the traffic behind those trucks has been restricted to 56 mph. That is called congestion and now the road is clear those capable of 90 mph are doing it to make up lost time because in our busy lives no one but no one has thought to leave 10 minuits early to take account of racing elephants.

Now I have a car volvo tell me is capable of 136 mph, I accept the speed limit is 70 but I can forsee situations where I would break it and accept the consequences.
Mate had a phone call, his dad had been rushed into hospital and the outlook was not good. He admits to sitting on the M4 at 105 mph, the top speed of his car for the 60 miles of motorway that got him to the hospital, through the towns he observed the limits, had he been caught he would of accepted the consequences, he would not however in those circumstances of slowed down. He was able to spend time with his dad before the end.

As ever there are pros and cons but by in large I would rather have the option of a top speed I may never use but is there in case I ever needed it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 19:14   #138
Spike56
Master Member

As I said before I think it could be linked to the same system as Sat navs use so the speed would correspond to the legislated limits. Motorway variable speed limits? No problem! As stated. City driving, sorted. Autonomous driving will encompass this too. But. The effect on a bike would be catastrophic! They just don't behave in the same way! If you've never ridden a bike, you will not know the fear of power loss!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 20:09   #139
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

As I said before..

Limiter- yes. If accompanied by that "kill switch" that disables it and logs who and when used it, whilst also informing (internet connection?) authorities. If its a REAL emergency, it will be OK. If its not emergency, you loose licence or even go to spend some time "there". Makes you think twice about using it.

Oh.. And make that kill switch a big, red, mushroom type button in the middle of dashboard. The kind that machinery has as emergency stop

That's for morons to be tempted with
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 18:36   #140
Whippy
Premier Member

It's going to be like buying a car designed by a nanny.

The Guardian: Volvo to install cameras in new cars to reduce road deaths.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ce-road-deaths
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote