Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering box leak 544

Views : 1158

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 19:17   #1
lelshaddai

Default Steering box leak 544

I have developed a steering box leak that is dripping on the ground. Before I tear into it are there easy ways to replace seals without full removal of the box and column?
lelshaddai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 20:41   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelshaddai View Post
I have developed a steering box leak that is dripping on the ground. Before I tear into it are there easy ways to replace seals without full removal of the box and column?
If you are going to do the job by the book you need to remove the steering box so you can accurately measure the friction of the steering column for example.

Trying to replace seals with it in-situ would be in my opinion a pain in the arse - I think the job will go more quickly with the unit out of the car.

If you decide to remove it I'd look very carefully at the item before removal to work out which bit is indeed leaking. Looking at my steering box the most likely source seems to me to be the lower pack of shims at the end of the column - which is why I reassembled my steering box with a load of sprayed on Hylomar on each side of each shim
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 21:01   #3
lelshaddai

It is leaking out of the lower part of the steering box. It’s leaking out of the shaft then it runs along the Pitman arm and then leaks off of the Tie end rod.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 21:22   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Bite the bullet and do the job once and for all.There might be an alternative. recently on this forum there was some discussion re a steering box grease.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 21:36   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Remove Pitman arm noting the punch marks on the shaft and arm. They have to match up. Pick out the seal and replace. For you perhaps obtain from Mike Dudek or Eric-Planetman. Will it stop the leak? Probably. Will it last? Possibly. It will depend on how much wear there is in the bottom steering box bush and the amount of movement to the shaft it allows. A lot of movement will damage the seal quite quickly depending on the wear.
If you want to go further there is a refurb kit that provides new bushes and gaskets. Bushes need to be reamed to fit the shaft. New shafts with steering worm, which is part of the shaft are no longer available. Finding a better used box is your only other option.
Oil spec for the box is 80, the rear axle is 90. Use 90 for both. Do not use grease in the box. There are some thicker fluid greases that may feature in replies to this. The idea is that they reduce the leakage and that may be true. 160 that old Jaguars use for instance. Use at your own risk. It is very hard to get this out of the box if you decide it doesn't work. Bearing grease virtually impossible without a strip down.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 22:00   #6
lelshaddai

My Studebakers use cornhead grease in the boxes. Nasty, sticky stuff. I will look into replacing the bottom seal. This was my replacement box from a parts car. My original was seized and damaged. I am correct that the entire column has to come out with it? That is how I replaced it.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 22:54   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

From what I have seen the column does indeed have to come out.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:41   #8
Army
marches on his stomach

Not sure if this helps but you can remove (need to remove) the axle onto which the Pitman arm is fixed before you remove the long shaft that runs down the steering column (the part with the worm gear)

It is possible removal of the Pitman arm will be a pain in the backside - the one on my steering box wasn't too bad to remove but if I remember correctly I did need to apply a fair amount of heat before it would budge. I've had Pitman arms on other vehicle types causing me heaps of trouble before...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 09:57   #9
arcturus
arcturus

I managed to remove my pitman with a puller which I bought from ebay. I agree with Derek bite the bullet and get a full re furb' kit.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 15:19   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Did you get one like this George? The ends that go behind the arm have to be quite thin as there is very little room on the Volvo box. I have one of these or similar, and it worked on a Duett box (I think I got it back from you Simon?) It's different to the Volvo type.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-TI...UAAOSws65TodKc