Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermostat question

Views : 347

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 14:46   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default Thermostat question

2004 XC70 D5 awd 212k

Hello, for sometime my thermostat has a small leak, but now its getting worst.
Is there any way we can remove and change the gaskets without having to remove powers steering pump and the all lot?

Many Thanks
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 16:09   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Depends where is the leak... often times it's simply the small hose that goes to the intercooler. Check it out first, to replace it, just disconnect the reservoir bottom sensor plug, lift the reservoir a little and drain it, then undo the small hose.

You may definitely want to replace the tstat if it's the original one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-The...0AAOSwdHxbqsio

If it's the seal in the middle of the tstat housing, you'll need a 1/4" wobble joint with a 1/4" size torx socket, may work without removing the pump but not sure. With the pump away you just need a 3/8" extension and torx socket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ctUJY_nnA

For the deeper gasket it's another story, not easy to reach even with the pump away (better to do this job when replacing the PCV)
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 19:06   #3
Anubisxc70
Master Member

2004 XC70 D5 awd

Mine is a diesel model...way different than petrol
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 20:09   #4
oragex
Premier Member

my mistake. maybe the thermostat was already replaced by a previous owner and he tried to reuse a gasket. It would be either the split gasket or the gasket at the bottom of the housing, should be quite easy to see which one is leaking
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 20:14   #5
R-P
Master Member

Getting the pump out of the way isn't such a big deal when you keep all tubes attached to it. And I did have some issues getting it (thermostat) loose, but eventually I did find some logic in the holes that give access to the bolts. Do note I bitched a lot. And I mean a lot, before finding that 'logic'.
You have to remove the complete housing and split it once you have it lying on the workbench (if that is needed in your case). And you cannot get a gasket for it either (I mean the gasket between the two parts of the thermostat housing, you CAN get a gasket with a new complete thermostat, which is a thermostat AND the two parts that for the housing, but that gasket is for between the engine and the thermostat-housing).

Thermostat ~10euro (original Gates iirc)
Thermostat + housing = >50 euro iirc.

2004 V70 D5 AWD

I have a bit-ratchet, a bit screwdriver and the appropriate bits (you only need torx iirc) and got everything loose, and apart from my bitching, without too much problems. I don't recall needing any special parts or e.g. my 6" Torx-screwdrivers, but I may be mistaken. But my toolbox is nothing special and I managed.

(EDIT: by the looks of it, you may need some sockets as well, see first pic, and I also see the 6" torx... )

Thermostat gasket used and (in plastic) new.

Gasket for inbetween the two parts of the housing: I cleaned this with a (fake) dremel. reused it and so far it hasn't leaked:

Last edited by R-P; Mar 17th, 2019 at 20:24.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 21:19   #6
Oodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post

If it's the seal in the middle of the tstat housing, you'll need a 1/4" wobble joint with a 1/4" size torx socket, may work without removing the pump but not sure. With the pump away you just need a 3/8" extension and torx socket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ctUJY_nnA

For the deeper gasket it's another story, not easy to reach even with the pump away (better to do this job when replacing the PCV)
Ditto. If its the same arrangement as the T5, the thermostat cover was fairly easy to remove with a long 1/4" wobble joint, but the main housing wouldn't come off without removing the intake manifold.
Oodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:13   #7
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Thank you for the reply.
I guess i need to replace both gaskets, so i might have to remove it all. In my case its better to remove it in 2 parts....even taking the power steering pump it will not make a big difference since the all lot is attached to a big frame....but assembly it in 2 ways it will not be an option the problem is a lower hidden torque screw...

I guess my thermostat is a Bilstein 34850
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190318_074840.jpg (168.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_074758.jpg (126.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_074748.jpg (155.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20190318_074741.jpg (192.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Mar 18th, 2019 at 08:18.