Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cam belts...do they really go ping

Views : 4180

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 15:51   #41
RichardK850
Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkir View Post
The belt had been changed at 60,000 and was stamped clearly in the service book. In all honesty the car had travelled nearly 20k in the twelve months from me purchasing it before the belt went but even so for the belt to go at 90k ish is still a PITA when it was changed at 60K.

I've driven a whole plethora of different vehicles and IMHO german marques & swedish are far more better engineered and reliable versus lesser marques.
Ah, you didn't mention it had been changed

The Vauxhall Omega is German, anyway. It's an Opel. Though, it seems part of your problem is that Vauxhall are useless for customer service (isn't every marque now, though...).

I'm a fan of Japanese engineering, if not their actual run of the mill cars. (I do like the stuff that is utterly insane, though. I tried to convince my girlfriend she would like a Nissan Pao, she's having none of it).

Not goth. Just wears black. Geeky, retro, musician, writer, fixer.
RichardK850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 16:38   #42
capt jack
VOC Member

For what they cost, and considering the potential disaster, I'd agree that the cambelt should be changed at around three-quarters of it's theoretical service life. On my 97 V70 the published interval is 80K or 8 years. Mine was changed at 50-oddK and then again at 120k.

I got the work done by Volvo. It's much the same cost as an indy (£220 or so), and I reckon if it ever went bang there would be grounds for a claim on Volvo.

Got the auxiliary belt changed at the same time too. It has to come off anyway, and it's only a few bob!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 18:12   #43
Crispy-d

Oh right! I thought the Essex V6 was OHC like the 2.8i engine. Ah well, that explains why it's quite a tappety engine then! I'll have a look at that Panoz-Zytek engine - sounds pretty unique.

I actually did some project work on experimenting with valves on engines last year. It was actually found that for speed, precision and reliability, mechanical valves are still the best. We tried solenoids, but the ones that were available to us were rubbish, and never really worked properly. The ones they used in the F1 engine did work, but they are very complicated and require a lot of work to setup properly. The thing is, an electrical solenoid can never be as fast as the mechanical lobe hitting the valve. There is always a slight delay, and although that can be accounted for, it still limits the ability to rev. Hydraulics, let alone pneumatics were seen to be far to 'lazy' systems to work sufficiently.

The hydraulic tappets seem to work well these days, especially with the thinner oils. The hydraulic tappets in my younger brother's Vectra 2.0 seem to be rubbish in comparison to my ones though. He's already had a valve go, and it taps like mad, especially when cold. Even on a cold morning, mine's as quiet as a mouse!

So the RX-8 sounds like a good setup then! I understood it just 'burnt oil' as if it were leaking like an old Fiesta or something! If it injects it, then I suppose that explains it - and I can see why it's running life is also increased. When I say it 'needs to be revved' I mean in driveability respect. As in it makes it a pain to drive round town when there's little torque at lower revs. I don't know, admitedly, as I have never ridden in one. But compared to a V8 which will pick up well from pretty much any rpm, the rotary engines I thought were quite laggy. Almost like having a big turbo. A bit tedious to drive at slow speeds, and only really make sense when you're revving away merrily. A modern CVT gearbox (which are also supposed to be really effective these days) mated with a couple of ****el engines actually sounds perfect! Especially if they've got the seals sorted out. A suppose a turbo would sort out some torque for me when zipping around town...!
Crispy-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 21:17   #44
kjkir
T5's, drool.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK850 View Post
Ah, you didn't mention it had been changed

The Vauxhall Omega is German, anyway. It's an Opel. Though, it seems part of your problem is that Vauxhall are useless for customer service (isn't every marque now, though...).
Aye yes the Omega was an Opel all right and was wholly engineered and built in Germany, but I felt that the engineering on the car was as pants as the Vauxhall non customer service!!!!! Needless to say GM aren't on my christmas card list.

Well as has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, cars are just not no longer built to last. Yes manufacturers have extended service lives but cynical old me feels that this is just yet another way to extract more hard earned out of us all when it comes to the larger more intensive services that an extended regime entails!!!
kjkir is offline   Reply With Quote