Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crank locking tool for 940 B23OFT

Views : 2123

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 11:38   #11
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphead View Post
No it's a 16v, same engine as the mk2 Golf GTI

Everyone asks excitedly if it's a VR6 or G60 and lose interest when they find it isn't.

I found a little pool of coolant sitting atop the Volvo's water pump earlier so I'm going to leave the belt change till I get one of those as well.

Was told to change the water pump at the same time but then found out that genuine Volvo ones are not built well now like the ones fitted when new. Might just be gasket and rubber bits that are weeping so just get them replaced and keep the old pump!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 11:44   #12
Ralphead

Mines not quite stock but easy enough to change back, although I've been offered an ABF engine from a mk3 GTI with twin webers that should be kicking out around 175bhp.
I've fitted polybushes, Weitec springs and dampers and a Janspeed exhaust.
I like that they look kind of timeless, I thought of doing various cosmetic things to mine, clear indicators, tinted lights ect but I'm leaving it standard now.

They're still so cheap to buy I'd stick a few in a dry shed if I had one, and some money.. A chap I know struggled for months to sell a slightly tatty looking but really good 16v, he ended up taking £450 for it. Loads of good roadworthy ones are being broken for spares because a lot of the owners like polishing more than driving and think it's their right to make their money back. That's not what having older cars is about, you have to be prepared to lose almost everything you put in.
Ralphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 11:48   #13
Ralphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFish View Post
Was told to change the water pump at the same time but then found out that genuine Volvo ones are not built well now like the ones fitted when new. Might just be gasket and rubber bits that are weeping so just get them replaced and keep the old pump!
Good point there. I saw the coolant and thought it a good excuse for a cuppa.

I finally solved my long running oil leak last night (was the genuine Volvo oil filter I fitted) so turning up the boost is going to be a major distraction for a little while.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:01   #14
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I had a Volvo pump fail a while ago. There was a problem with an internal seal so it leaked out of the hole in the bottom of the pump. I fittd an aftermarket one and the bearings got very loose quite quickly.

I've now tried another Volvo pump and so far it's been OK. I'd like to think that the Volvo pumps have better quality bearings in them especially as they cost a bit more, don't rule out a genuine pump completely.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:02   #15
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

So volvos parts for older cars are going in the same direction as there cars...thank you Ford! They must be the best out of the lot but if its working replace seals and should be happy

I need to Google that ATF engine point but you don't seem to be a boy racer type with a Volvo and Viva in your shed.

Like it either stock or low with chrome BBS and you gotta yellow tint front low lights especially if you got a dark paint job.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...0&bih=640#i=40

Last edited by FossilFish; Sep 9th, 2012 at 12:04.
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 17:18   #16
Ralphead

Boy racer no, but I do like going too fast on the twisty B roads round here. Handling's more important than power and that's where the Corrado shines. Mine's lower than I meant it to be but it does look good, just don't mention speed bumps, car parks or the Torpoint ferry, we got stuck on it..

The Viva is far from standard, no interior, Opel Manta engine, LSD, Spax suspension. But it's not on the road, there's some bodywork and then a satin black paint job to do. Oh and some better brakes..

I'll pull the pump off a 100k mile 940 scrapper a mate has, it's over 50k younger than mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphead For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 19:04   #17
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

There's a beat up manta in white around my ends, I have always fancied that and the Monza with plush brown interior! My dads back garden is a grave yard to C20 XE Redtop's would be nice to use on of them. And love the Senator

Loving the pic of the squrril having a peek! and looks good low on those rims
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opel-senator-1375039_b_61fd103de28fb5ba.jpg (32.5 KB, 7 views)
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 23:22   #18
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Ralphead, what's a Corrado doing with 4-stud wheels - shouldn't it have 5-stud ones?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 00:35   #19
Ralphead

Thanks, I saved the wheels off a mk2 16v GTI that the police had ordered to be crushed! I said I'd buy some "parts" off it and leave the VIN plate for the crusher but no dice.

I like the rear drive Vauxhalls. There's a rusty 24v Senator in a garden near me, I'm eyeing up the engine for my Viva, now that would shift!

The VR6 Corrado's had 5 stud wheels, the rest were 4 stud.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 15:39   #20
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphead View Post
The VR6 Corrado's had 5 stud wheels, the rest were 4 stud.
Aaaahhh! every Corrado I've seen had either 5-stud wheels or centre-caps to cover the hubs, hence the question.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote