Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230e to b230ft

Views : 1137

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2022, 20:12   #11
panda529e699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you have a few tools you could do it yourself Joe. Have a look on YouTube for videos on DIY head porting, here's one i watched recently and it covers pretty much all you need to know. Admittedly it's just one head from a Pontiac (i think it was) V8 engine so some things won't apply. Have a watch of it and see if that fits in your skill-set, if so, get the various tools and give it a go. Most of it is common sense as you'll see.

https://youtu.be/As36dt7waBw

I forgot you were doing a K-Jet turbo conversion Andrew, i'm guessing you're limiting the boost to ~4psi max?
Yes, will be using the super unleaded as well, looking forward to the final bit hopefully over the weekend.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 20:57   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Yes, will be using the super unleaded as well, looking forward to the final bit hopefully over the weekend.
I'm looking forward to your write up on it Andrew - i assume you're doing one?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 21:09   #13
panda529e699

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your write up on it Andrew - i assume you're doing one?
Will do 😉
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:36   #14
JDW3696

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Hi
I should have my B230E turbo upgrade finished complete in the next week, so will post some pics if that helps. I've done it in 2 stages.
I can't go mad with the boost being the high compression engine, but already it's a lot more responsive.

Andrew
Great thankyou.
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:48   #15
JDW3696

Thankyou for all the advice. Definitely not going to get a 940. I bought my 740 with 50,000 miles on it, now 75,000 and it's mint. I personally prefer 740s anyway.
Any mods I'm doing are purely because it's my everyday car and it can all be put back standard if I ever sell it which I won't.
I'll look at just doing some light work on the engine. The manifold in the engine let's it down anyway as everything else is spotless so a new manifold would be worth doing, regardless of the performance improvement or lack of, electric fan and possibly camshaft, headwork, in my eyes will just improve and already excellent engine.
I did read that the vx3 doesn't work so well on a b230e. Is this not the case?
Thanks again for all the advice.
All the best
Joe
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:05   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The VX3 cam is not as good as the V cam you likely already have.
Gains from a manifold are small but come in torque low down rather than peak power and results will depend on supporting mods.

Back to your turbo swap idea it is not as hard as been made out. You do need the full donor package of engine with sensors and ECU's along with intercooler and hoses. Wiring it is too time conuming to pick out a 940 loom so best to just fit a conversion loom. You need a turbo exhaust system. The speed signal is taken from the dash and does not matter if you have a 12 or 48 tone ring on the axle.
Conversion can be done over a couple of days
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:21   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The speed signal is taken from the dash and does not matter if you have a 12 or 48 tone ring on the axle.
It will either be a 12 or 96 tooth reluctor ring in the back axle on a 1988 car. If it is a 96 tooth ring, there is a converter mounted next to the ABS ECU, this divides the number of pulses by 8 so the same speedo can be used and the speedo expects to see 12 pulses per turn of the wheel.
With the later 940, that was standardised at 48 teeth so each turn of the wheel gives 48 pulses.

If nothing else, it will confuse the living daylights out of the speedo either causing it to read half the true speed or 4x the true speed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 11:27   #18
JDW3696

Thankyou. As nice as it would be to have a turbo it would be a shame to change such a low mileage b230e. I'll look into manifolds and headwork for now and go from there. I'm an absolute novice when it comes to mechanics so currently searching for someone who knows their way around a Volvo in Hertfordshire, London are.
Thanks again.
I'll keep you updated
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 11:28   #19
JDW3696

Thankyou. As nice as it would be to have a turbo it would be a shame to change such a low mileage b230e. I'll look into manifolds and headwork for now and go from there. I'm an absolute novice when it comes to mechanics so currently searching for someone who knows their way around a Volvo in Hertfordshire, London area
Thanks again.
I'll keep you updated
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 14:10   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
It will either be a 12 or 96 tooth reluctor ring in the back axle on a 1988 car. If it is a 96 tooth ring, there is a converter mounted next to the ABS ECU, this divides the number of pulses by 8 so the same speedo can be used and the speedo expects to see 12 pulses per turn of the wheel.
With the later 940, that was standardised at 48 teeth so each turn of the wheel gives 48 pulses.

If nothing else, it will confuse the living daylights out of the speedo either causing it to read half the true speed or 4x the true speed.
The axle is not being changed so there is no issue. You are thinking about a problem that is not there
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote