Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scotland Meet

Views : 1479

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 21:33   #1
locky2306

Now that the second meet has passed, and was so successful, I'm starting to plan the next one,and I would like some feedback.

Basically, I want to know what you all thought of the previous meets, locations etc, and the timing, as I am thinking about the same venues (for a wee while) used in rotation every 2 months.

Is there anything that I could do to improve the meets or is everyone happy with a chat, looking round each others cars and then eating time? possibly having time set aside for VOC Club Issues.

Would anyone be interested in certain items of club merchandise being made available at the meets?

The third location to be used would be either Dumfries or Gretna, could even have the first VOC wedding lol. Dates and final arrangements still have to be made.

Maybe this is one that some of the North of England members could get involved in??

If anyone has suggestions etc then let me know, and if your interested in the Borders meet, list your name below.

Lachlan
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 22:09   #2
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Not having been to the first meet I am asuming from memory it was near Strathclyde park area?

This is do-able for me.

Pitlochery is a bit of a trek, but beautiful and worth it, though probably not every time.

Dumfries/Gretna are spitting distance in comparison.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 22:28   #3
exup
Mr Indicisive

I might be interested in this too..
exup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 23:24   #4
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

It'd be rude not to! I'm up for it.

It's so easy and quick to get here from any direction. Maybe there is chance of a good turnout.

If anyone is coming from the north, have a trip via the A701 and come down the beeftub into Moffat. A fun wee road.

Three and a half hrs from Birmingham, two and a half hrsfrom Manchester, one and a quarter hrs from Glasgow, one and a half hrs from newcastle.
T-5ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 23:25   #5
locky2306

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
Not having been to the first meet I am asuming from memory it was near Strathclyde park area?

This is do-able for me.

Pitlochery is a bit of a trek, but beautiful and worth it, though probably not every time.

Dumfries/Gretna are spitting distance in comparison.
Yeah, thats right Strathclyde park, was a good one aswell.

I'm trying my best to make it fair for everyone, with regards to traveling.

Thanks for your input, and hopefully see you at next one
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:37   #6
raithc70

if your going down toward Dumfries then,

A road to experience
Off M74 south bound, Elvanfoot road, take the B797 towards Wanlockhead

Wanlockhead, at 1531 feet above sea level, is the highest village in Scotland

It is dark there most days, rainy and foggy, locals have torches for seeing during the day !!

then on towards the a76, then Dumfries.

Nice roads , but wierd location

Jase
raithc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 18:05   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

Don't know what the Strathclyde location was like but willing to give it a try.

Pitlochry was OK for me but if you are planning to use the same car park in the tourist season you may have problems. There is a big (big) layby (parking area) on the Pitlochry by-pass that could be used for a meeting place. Access to north or south for grub would be easy from there.

Format seemed fine with time for a chat and then food (plus the cabaret at Blair Atholl).

Dumfries/Gretna also doable for me and mine.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 19:31   #8
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Any chance of the title of this thread being amended to include Scotland/England border meet? We might get a few more members coming as a result.

Possible Dumfries location is Brewsters. Just off the A75 and easy to get to. ample parking and decent facilities.

Possible Gretna Location is Gretna gateway Outlet. Ample parking, good individual facilities but not any huge restaurants like Brewsters. BUT it does have loads of clothes, shoes and chocolate shops. Get where I'm coming from? Wives, girlfriends and children will love this place The men folk can look under bonnets for as long as they wish and might get a few brownie points for taking the other half to a shopping centre.
www.gretnagateway.com

Last edited by T-5ones; Mar 6th, 2007 at 19:38. Reason: broken linky
T-5ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 19:51   #9
locky2306

Thanks mate

I'm going to post the event details up under a different post, this is purely to get feedback from members, although very few have replied.

I've sent you a PM.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 21:26   #10
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Hello,

If the next event is going down to the borders I think that going to Gretna is a fairly good idea because the other half can have a look round the shops while we chat cars. Then go out for lunch to a local hotel. If the timing fits we will be there.

Thanks Jim C