Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking sound when I changed the timing belt

Views : 3085

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 18:04   #1
Biotoxic
Master Member

Exclamation Knocking sound when I changed the timing belt

Hi, just started my engine for the second time and I noticed some knocking sound coming from the engine. I suspect that timing is a bit bad.
When I put on the new belt I aligned TDC(top dead centre) on the camshaft and crankshaft, but when I locked that belt tensioner in place, that TDC mark moved back about 2 cm(or about 2 tooth's back, counter clockwise) , could that be the problem?

Just made a video, listen.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 18:50   #2
britishmade1975

wooo watch out that dont bend a valve if the timing is out noty a expert but that sounds sick
britishmade1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 13:55   #3
Biotoxic
Master Member

Just adjusted timing by little bit, sounds better now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 14:08   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Still not right I'd say, still a bit of knocking going on there.

Do you want me to make a vid of mine running, to compare sound?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 17:57   #5
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Still not right I'd say, still a bit of knocking going on there.

Do you want me to make a vid of mine running, to compare sound?
yes please, that would be great, I have forgotten how my diesel sounded.. last time when I started it, it was on January 14th
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 20:23   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

There is something very metallic around 7 seconds into your vid.

I made this earlier...

+ YouTube Video

Bear in mind it would be slightly louder with the cover off.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 20:28   #7
CRH71

Your timing's out, for sure. Don't run the engine any further, and double-check then correct the cam timing.

My friend and I have just made the same mistake after an engine transplant!
CRH71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 21:56   #8
v8 rick

your valve timing isn`t wrong as if it were the damage would be done by now it sounds very much like your pump timing is just a little too far advanced this will cause the loud metallic knocking sound you here in your vid clip .
always turn an engine over by hand after fitting a timing belt or chain for that matter then if any resistance is felt it can then be investigated , if you just go ahead and turn the engine over on the starter its game over if the timing is out the damage will be done on the first revolution .

over the years ive fitted 100s of timing belts in my job as a diesel tech the other thing i always do is use tippex to highlight the timing marks before removing the old belt so that it aids refitting hth .

rick.
v8 rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:12   #9
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 rick View Post
your valve timing isn`t wrong as if it were the damage would be done by now it sounds very much like your pump timing is just a little too far advanced this will cause the loud metallic knocking sound you here in your vid clip .
My pump timing doesn't need to be adjusted, that's what vadis says, but there was 2 markings on the pump but I ignored that. Slowly that sound is disappearing.
At the moment I am a bit worried about alarm.... it doesn't work or my remote just need a new batteries. I have no problems to start my car with key, it just there is no sign that there should be alarm at all.
Car battery was disconnected for more than a month, maybe its something to do with that..
Thanks Baffler for that video.

Anyway, today I will make a list what I did with my car with pictures and description. After that there will be few more how to guides
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 13:05   #10
Biotoxic
Master Member

another thing, when I pump the brake pedal and when I am holding it down it slowly starts to release the tension, I don't see any fluid leaks under the car...
I've changed front brake discs.. nothing else, feels like it has some air in system... I will try to bleed them, hope this works.

Tags
diesel, engine knocking, timing belt