Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many miles?

Views : 2642

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 20:31   #11
Terminator
VOC Member

The Captain is right. I am now getting 4 litres more in the tank than I was during the summer.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 20:57   #12
fidel
Comrade

That explains then why the gauge gets down to the final 1/4 it lasts longer than when it is warmer.
fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 22:24   #13
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

With regards to cold weather & LPG ........it is a fact that cars without an auto change over WILL NOT start on LPG if the temp is under 5 degrees.

having said that MOST cars DO have auto change over ...My Disco does not, it starts on LPG from the first crank .....I have now fitted an auto change over switch..........

The point I'm making here is if yer change over switch fails & it's winter yer car will never start, some cars have Manual change over but the owners never use em & when the weather turns cold the first thing they do is bell the RAC / AA ect saying "Oooooo me car broke can yer fix it please"

when in actual fact ................there's bugger all wrong with it !!!!!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 10:22   #14
Faust
Master Member

I've got exactly the same car running on LPG, and that's pretty much what I get. (I get slightly less, as most of my miles are at 70)

My system switches over automatically, though I had it adjusted to switch over at a slightly higher engine temperature. I found it didn't run particularly well on the LPG (kangaroo impressions) when colder.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 12:17   #15
fidel
Comrade

I have noticed that, it does that a wee while longer to change over from petrol to LPG.
fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 21:15   #16
JezF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
do gas conversions do any damage to the engine,heard somewhere they do.
Not on Volvo's. It's valve seat recession, Saabs and Fords suffer as well as most Jap cars.

You should loose around 20% on gas, my best has been 25 mpg, worst 16, averages at 20.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 11:17   #17
jrtonks
2001 V70 T5

Cam,

I had a 406 estate running on gas and the valves went on that. Cue expensive repairs. Whole head had to be done.

You can buy a Flashlube system which basically injects Flashlube into the inlet manifold and lubricates the valves. This is supposed to prevent them from recessing. It's pretty easy to fit.

I've only had my V70 T5 for a couple of weeks but intend to fit the Flashlube system again when I get half a chance. I'm not sure how it will work with a turbo though! I think I'll check with the manufacturers first.
jrtonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 18:09   #18
itguy

I believe (from the local LPG fitters I spoke to) that there was a certain model year of T5 that there was a change in manufacturing material of the head/valve seats and following this date there is potentially an issue. I seem to remember it was post-03.

I remember at the time knowing that my engine would be ok being a 2000, but a look into it on www.lpgforum.co.uk might help..
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 18:10   #19
itguy

Should have said - 7k miles on my LPG (BRC) conversion and no sign what so ever of any issues at all. No flashlube.
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 11:37   #20
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Smile Lpg

Hi
I ran a 1951 Austin A40 Devon with a MG 1500cc eng , for 30 years on LPG ,
I converted it myself, I was a Plant engineer Forklifts etc, as far as I know its still running, I used a Tartarini 66 vaporiser and except for the filter I only fitted one diafram. I had to use a comercial fridge solinod and had to rewire the coil for 12v [ it was a mains one]I rebilt the engine a few times but was never bothered by valve regresion, I would start on LPG exept on very icy weather . I would also run on petrol for about 20 miles a month to deposit some lead on the seats for lubeing the seats of the valves.
of course now lead free petrol would mean I would have to use flash lube .
Forgive spelling as I always say I was an injneer not a scribe.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote