Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Decent Spanners

Views : 1084

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 18:31   #1
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Default Decent Spanners

Here's a question for you. Is it possible to buy metric spanners with close tolerances? I've recently removed some brass components from my car but couldn't find suitable spanners. I have now measured these components with a micrometer and found that I was actually using the correct size spanners even though they were a little bit loose. Of course, using a loose-fitting chrome vanadium spanner on brass causes damage to the brass. One of the components measured as 11.00mm and the other as 19.00mm (cold), so they are precision made components. My 19mm spanner is about 19.3mm, measured with vernier calipers. I have a similar problem with sockets.

William
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 19:03   #2
keithyboy
Master Member

I've got various different msakes of spanner from cheapies to dearies and suspect that there is a degree of tolerance in the manufacture of them. Halfords kit is pretty good. Why not take your caliper down there and have a measure?

My blog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK AT MY RUBBISH BLOG
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 19:33   #3
kenny
Master Member

i bought a full set of snap-on spanners years ago when i was working full time on the tools and they have been great, never slipped broken or damaged a nut or bolt unless they were really rusty.
they were very expencive at the time but well worth it.
leave your number with your local garage and the sales rep will contact you.
mac tools are just as good some would say better.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 19:36   #4
Oilydad
Premier Member

Default Best Spanners

I've got a very large selection of tools built up over the last 40+ years. Some are good ones I've picked up at Car Boots and Re-cycling centres, some I've paid good money for. I've probably got over 300 spanners alone in all shapes and sizes, rings, open ended, obstruction, ratchet, angled, curved, splined, you name it. Never buy cheap (bargain shop type rubbish) tools though. Not worth the money.

For brass components, I nearly always use a set of Draper Mini spanners that come in a set of 10. Haven't seen them around recently, but they are very very good, and I've used them absolutely loads of times.

One way to get round your problem is to use an older slightly smaller than you need open ended spanner, and gently grind or file the jaws, to get an exact fit. I've had to do this on a couple of occasions. It's not ideal but can prevent damage to brass or other soft metal components which, generally, won't need a lot of force to remove. With care you can get an exact fit.

The question really is.........how often are you going to use/need such tools, and are they worth the outlay? Are they just for a one off job, or for a job that you will do quite frequently?

That's a question that only you can answer.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 20:15   #5
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Thanks for the good replies chaps. Most of my spanners are the expensive chrome vanadium ones from halfords and they seem to be good for most things. But, some of the engine & fuel system components get rounded off using these spanners. I'll do as keithyboy suggested and measure the spanners before buying. Also, I'll shop around. I'm sure I'll find some good spanners if I look hard enough but I bet they'll be very expensive. I have just thought: I have a second-hand tool shop near me in Worthing so I might give them a try first - I've never been in there before. If they have what I need they're bound to be cheaper than buying new tools.

Cheers,
William
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 00:05   #6
tigtog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Thanks for the good replies chaps. Most of my spanners are the expensive chrome vanadium ones from halfords and they seem to be good for most things. But, some of the engine & fuel system components get rounded off using these spanners. I'll do as keithyboy suggested and measure the spanners before buying. Also, I'll shop around. I'm sure I'll find some good spanners if I look hard enough but I bet they'll be very expensive. I have just thought: I have a second-hand tool shop near me in Worthing so I might give them a try first - I've never been in there before. If they have what I need they're bound to be cheaper than buying new tools.

Cheers,
William
try ebay for snap on stuff some goes nice and cheap
tigtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:01   #7
Hinckley

I have a Stahlwille 19mm spanner that measures 19.15mm and my Stahlwille 1/2"d socket measures 19.12mm both have had a fair ammount of use, if the nut is exactly 19mm you could try wrapping masking tape or similar around it - the masking tape I have measures 0.15mm thick. I have in the past taken up a small gap because I didn't have the correct spanner by using a feeler gauge between the nut and the spanner.

Cheers,
Pip
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:44   #8
Trekker

snapon, britool both very good.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 13:26   #9
James_N
VOC Member

Just bought one of these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165572

Very good for the money, and lifetime guarantee too
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 13:38   #10
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

I like your idea Pip - thinking 'outside the box'. If I can't find suitable spanners I might just wrap some electrical tape or masking tape (whatever fits) around the part. The issue here is not the strength or 'quality' of the spanners/sockets but how snug the fit is. I'll still have a look for some better spanners first, but after Christmas when things might be a little cheaper.

William