Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow dropping engine revs?

Views : 1699

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:36   #1
Sen1977

Default Slow dropping engine revs?

Hi Guys,

I have a 55 plate 2005 D5 185, recently I have been hearing what sounds like a noisy camshaft under acceleration, but not at idle, or off throttle, it has me baffled, I am pretty sure this is not a camshaft noise.
Today I noticed that if I come off full throttle and depress the clutch the revs hover and drop slowly, this doesn't happen when the engine is free rev'd it responds as it should smoothly up and down.

Could anyone help me with this? I am feeling its more fuel orientated but I do not know in what way.

Thanks Scott
Sen1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:38   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Could well be the DMF...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:44   #3
Sen1977

I hope it can't be, all replaced last week after the slave cylinder seal went, full lot done, slave, clutch, dmf.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:50   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Ooh! Yes, one would hope not in that case!
However it does beg the question, did this occur after or before the clutch work?
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:59   #5
Sen1977

Can't say I noticed it, but, I wasn't looking, now I'm worried, I have invested a lot of money in this car and it isn't going to last and give me back my return.
I am sure the 'cam' noise wasn't there. It would growl. but no noticeable rattles, off throttle it is whisper quiet.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:22   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

If in any doubt, and you had it done at a garage, they and the parts warranty should cover any issues, if there are issues of course... Was it volvo who did it? If not were they quality parts?
Of course this is based on one hasty suggestion, it could be way off the mark. I posed the question as I have experienced dmf equipped cars having a slow rpm drop, or brief increase, when changing gears, and, dmf's can make funny rattles/noises/vibrations which can be mis-diagnosed as other things. Hopefully this is the opposite, something else giving symptoms similar to a dmf!
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:36   #7
Sen1977

No, it wasn't Volvo, it nearly broke me as it is using an independent, I trust the lads who did the work, the parts will be good, LUK, I believe, and I know they will have done it right.
Thanks for your help, fingers crossed it isn't something really major as my pocket can't take anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sen1977 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:48   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah LUK should be ok.
Other things to check, aux belt tensioners, alternator pulley, etc, It could simply be you've developed a lazy tappet, or, it could be, thinking-on a bit to recent personal experience, an injector seal. If a seal goes it sounds just like a tappet, I thought for a long while my scenic had developed a lazy tappet, until I started getting fumes in the cabin when car at rest. I could hear that the 'tappet' noise had become more 'fluffy' sounding like a cracked manifold or leaking gasket. The sound came from the front not back of the engine though, and once I took the plastic engine cover off & checked injectors, there it was, no.3 all black and oily, chuffing away....
Luckily injector seals arent (usually) expensive or difficult to sort, you could do it yourself. Check out SiRobb on youtube, couple of vids on the D5 injectors/seals
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 21:52   #9
Sen1977

I have heard an occasional chuff when cold, and funnily enough I have just been watching SiRobb's channel, which inspired me to go out and have a good look at the injectors. They are ALL clean, no black at all, tho it appears someone prior to me has ventured in as one of the bolts on an injector is cocked over and it appears to not have gone in straight. Hoping this is not my culprit as removal could be difficult.
If it was a lazy tappet would it also be audible on idle and also when the engine was free of throttle input, off throttle coast?
The performance is still really strong, pulls like a train, only rattly now, just worried about doing harm to a good motor.
I also noted a leaking engine mount vacuum also. clamped the offending mounts pipe with some mole grips to see if that improves anything.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:01   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

This might interest you perhaps, if it is a tappet https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283172
Tappets can rattle at certain engine speeds, loads, etc, not always constant. Wouldn't cause the rpm issue though...
The noise could be exhaust manifold or gasket too.
You may have two things occurring, the rpm drop might just be the new dmf being all tight, whilst the noise could be un-associated.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Aug 29th, 2018 at 22:05.