Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 vs S90 suspension

Views : 930

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 20:34   #1
deanphoto

Default V90 vs S90 suspension

Evening all,

New owner of V90 R-Design here. Is there a difference of damper tunes/spring stiffness between the S90 & V90 R-Designs on the standard passive suspension? I test drove a 5000ml old S90 which the dealer advised had the same suspension however, my new V90 feels so much stiffer. It's so stiff I can't actually use it for the purpose that I bought it for.

Any ideas?

Last edited by deanphoto; Sep 18th, 2018 at 20:38.
deanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 20:43   #2
MCV60
Master Member

Wheel size the same?
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:54   #3
deanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Wheel size the same?
Yes, both running the standard 18" wheels.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 22:21   #4
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanphoto View Post
Evening all,

New owner of V90 R-Design here. Is there a difference of damper tunes/spring stiffness between the S90 & V90 R-Designs on the standard passive suspension? I test drove a 5000ml old S90 which the dealer advised had the same suspension however, my new V90 feels so much stiffer. It's so stiff I can't actually use it for the purpose that I bought it for.

Any ideas?
Watching with interest (and fear) just ordered a V90 R Design..
Berkshirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 22:37   #5
T4ylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. I collected mine Friday and have already done over 1000 miles with another 430 miles trip tomorrow and I have no issues with the suspension and ride quality and mines sitting on 20’s.
T4ylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 00:00   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, both running the standard 18" wheels.
Try the tyre pressures, maybe there are on the high “eco” setting?
Lower them to the lowest recommended setting and see if there is a marked difference.....!
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 06:08   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Evening all,

Any ideas?
If it is THAT stiff, get the dealer to check whether they have removed the delivery packing that stops cars bouncing around on transport factory delivery trucks. If there is literally no suspension movement, it is dangerous and should be limited to 25mph maximum speed.

If that is as it should be, get them to check that the correct springs have been factory fitted. I suspect that there are many potential springs to choose from, depending on the intended model.

Last edited by Quacker; Sep 19th, 2018 at 06:11.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:10   #8
deanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Try the tyre pressures, maybe there are on the high “eco” setting?
Lower them to the lowest recommended setting and see if there is a marked difference.....!
I have checked this (as per my original post). The car was supplied with 40psi per corner, rather than the standard 33. It made a difference, for sure, but it's still incredibly stiff.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:15   #9
deanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
If it is THAT stiff, get the dealer to check whether they have removed the delivery packing that stops cars bouncing around on transport factory delivery trucks. If there is literally no suspension movement, it is dangerous and should be limited to 25mph maximum speed.

If that is as it should be, get them to check that the correct springs have been factory fitted. I suspect that there are many potential springs to choose from, depending on the intended model.
I'm fairly certain that the delivery spring spacers (or whatever they're called) have been removed as I can't see anything obstructing the springs. The salesman is going to speak to the service techs tomorrow to see if they suggest anything. If everything is as it should be then I fear I might have to return the car and order either an R-Design on air or an Inscription.

Last edited by deanphoto; Sep 19th, 2018 at 07:22.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:21   #10
deanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
As per below it will depend on your expectations. To me it feels like Volvo has chosen to use Audi's previous 'tuning' route with their S-Line models and just dropped the ride height and placed firmers springs on the car, without thinking about the ride quality. Sure, it helps maintain body-roll but at what cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ylor View Post
I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. I collected mine Friday and have already done over 1000 miles with another 430 miles trip tomorrow and I have no issues with the suspension and ride quality and mines sitting on 20’s.
It's exactly this. I need a supple ride as I use the boot-space to photograph from, towards other cars (I'm a car photographer). I'm not expecting Range Rover levels of refinement but both the primary and secondary damping is incredibly firm. Far firmer than an RS6..!