Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alkylate fuel in classic cars?

Views : 1508

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 18:59   #1
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Alkylate fuel in classic cars?

G'day folks,

I've been busy shredding and chopping stuff in my new garden with a recently bought shredding machine...

...cos I'm working next to the rattly noisy dusty thing I've chosen to burn some seriously expensive "eco" fuel to try and improve the possibility that once I've actually cleared the jungle out back I might still be alive to enjoy my efforts.

Was just chatting to a mate about this stuff - mainly saying how effing expensive it is - and sent him a link =>

https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/catalog...timum-4t/5447/

"Aspen" also make similar stuff =>

https://www.aspenfuels.com/knowledge...kylate-petrol/

#####

Thing is the Kroon oil folks say it is also good for "classic cars" - so does any one / has anyone here ever used this type of fuel instead of normal pump unleaded?

In Holland the Kroon stuff and the Aspen stuff is about three times the price of pump fuel but if you were a classic car owner who only ever drives his car to the MOT station every year then these alternative fuels might be of interest as they are way more stable than pump fuel (in Europe anyway) where they keep on adding in ethonol / bio products that often separate and eat fuel systems.

Might not work out as good just yet for pump fuel and a stabaliser product but I thought I'd ask and mention it...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:23   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

The only references I can find on the interweb about this fuel being used in non garden machinery is some chap using it in classic motor bikes in Cornwall.

Oh well - perhaps worth investigating at another point in time
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:39   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

Oh yeah forgot to mention

Alternative manufacturer found providing a similar looking product Oest Oecokraft

#####

Also Apsen make a racing version for 4 stroke engines and other racing fuels seem to be using this technology too.

Cheapest I can find for the Aspen online is coming in at about 3.46 euros a litre if you buy a 200 litre drum

I'm buying 5L plastic bottles of the Kroon stuff at 19 euros for 5L which is 3.80 a Litre

(So like I said - not cheap fuel even by Dutch standards - in other parts of the world I'm sure some people will be spitting their morning cups of coffee at the screen when reading this!)
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 20:03   #4
Army
marches on his stomach

I haven't been driving for so long I didn't realise this was happening =>

E10 has just replaced Euro 95 in Holland so the ethanol content has been doubled.

Hmmm

Perhaps it is already time to consider these alternatives (!)
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 22:37   #5
Austinvolvo

Alkylate is a gasoline blending component made by joining isobutane and butylene or propylene. The result as a branched paraffin which, as the posting says, has no aromatics or olefins. This makes it a very stable product and indeed it probably has cleaner burning characteristics as well as much lower oxidation potential in storage. A fraction of this historically was used as aviation grade gasoline. Here in the states, i dont believe it is readily available as a stand alone product. If it was, I would probably consider it for use in lawn mower, etc as a winter fill that would not need stabilizer. I think it would be impractical to fuel a car with something you have to buy in gallon jugs at 3X the cost of gasoline.

Dean
Austinvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:33   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinvolvo View Post
Alkylate is a gasoline blending component made by joining isobutane and butylene or propylene. The result as a branched paraffin which, as the posting says, has no aromatics or olefins. This makes it a very stable product and indeed it probably has cleaner burning characteristics as well as much lower oxidation potential in storage. A fraction of this historically was used as aviation grade gasoline. Here in the states, i dont believe it is readily available as a stand alone product. If it was, I would probably consider it for use in lawn mower, etc as a winter fill that would not need stabilizer. I think it would be impractical to fuel a car with something you have to buy in gallon jugs at 3X the cost of gasoline.

Dean
Thanks for your comments Dean

It is indeed an expensive option (at the moment). I've yet to do the calculations but after say a lead replacement additive and a fuel stabaliser and then an anti-ethanol additive perhaps the gap in price isn't too bad if you buy in bulk.

I think it would only ever be useful for owners who don't drive very far each year.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 10:34   #7
Army
marches on his stomach

I thought I'd bump this thread back up the top as it looks like it is something that might become more relevant in the UK due to this thread =>

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318063