Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Update on overheating issues

Views : 1193

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 20:40   #1
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default Update on overheating issues

Having installed a reco unleaded head, new water pump and hoses I now have the same/similar problem as I had before all the work. Today I forgot to check the coolant level before driving on a 16 mile round trip. All had seemed well apart from the level in the radiator being too high and blowing water out of the over flow pipe, no expansion tank. Anyway on the return joourney after 3 hours the engine overheated. Having allowed it to cool down it took 2.5 litres of water to top it up. The only journey before this and after the work had been the same 16 miles round trip with a 3 hour break and no problems. I flushed the engine and radiator before and after the work and all ran clear. I am wondering if the radiator is the problem and the down tubes are clogged but have no idea how i can test it at home. Any ideas?
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 22:24   #2
old fart
Master Member

How about removing the thermostat, and see if that makes a difference?
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 07:18   #3
niveketak
66 Amazon

I had wondered about that but unless the thermostat is knackered then shouldn't need to do it.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:11   #4
old fart
Master Member

It's the only way to find out if it is knackered though. I had one that boiled within a couple of miles but was fine once the thermostat was removed, and fine with new one fitted, and it only takes 5 minutes to remove it.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:25   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm really, really sorry that this is so basic, but by chance you haven't put the thermostat in upside down, have you? Easily done!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:56   #6
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I'm really, really sorry that this is so basic, but by chance you haven't put the thermostat in upside down, have you? Easily done!
and I am good at doing daft things like that so will have a look this afternoon
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:56   #7
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
It's the only way to find out if it is knackered though. I had one that boiled within a couple of miles but was fine once the thermostat was removed, and fine with new one fitted, and it only takes 5 minutes to remove it.
Will have a look this afternoon.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 10:57   #8
niveketak
66 Amazon

OK having taken Derek's advice I jacked the front of the car up high and ran it with the heater valve open. The car got nice and hot so I tried the heater, cold. I let it cool down but noted the two heater hoses were not warm. Removing them reveled no water in the hoses but some in the metal heater radiator pipes. I thought I would be clever and fill up the two hoses but this just caused the water to go down the overflow pipe. I am thinking the heater radiator may be blocked so will try and flush that out before I go any further. Could someone kindly take a picture of the hose layout to the heater for me, they went back as they came off when I changed the head but there is no guarantee they were on right in the first place as the previous French owner was a bit of a bodger when it came to mechanicals I discovered.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 12:23   #9
old fart
Master Member

I'm assuming these are correct, as the heater works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.JPG (126.7 KB, 19 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 12:28   #10
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
I'm assuming these are correct, as the heater works.
Thanks for the picture mate much appreciated.

Just a question from the image, does the hose from the base of the heater matrix go to the L shaped pipe on the head or to the red metal pipe down the side of the head. Difficult to see on the pic.