Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To: Center Console post 2008 in pre 2008 P1

Views : 3988

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 17:47   #1
Daim
Brit in Germany

Default How To: Center Console post 2008 in pre 2008 P1

Hi all!

Well, I've just finished an extensive interior upgrade and thought I'd share my experiences and make a "write up" for all

A word of advice: this is a ONE WAY modification! You CAN NOT return to old condition again!

Okay, to start with, you need several parts... Well, several means quite a few These will be highlighted throughout the process with parts numbers, so you know what you will want. You do NOT need many skills. It is an awkward but not hard conversion. You just need a bit of time, a few tools and some patience I'll do this write up/how to in some easier steps...

Step 1:
Unlock ALL doors and remove battery pole.
Remove front seats (little covers on rail cover the screws which hold the seats in place) - I found it easier to remove the steering wheel on the driver's side, as it lets the seat slip out...
Remove center console (radio stack, center screws in center console, etc.)

Once you've done that, you will have a rather empty interior. This picture shows my seats but also that, what you have to remove. The silvery box to the right of the picture (between the seats):

As you can see, there are quite a few parts there, which will all need to be removed bit by bit. The most important thing to remove is the black "Airbag Sensor" (made by Conti on a side note ), This is held in place by 4 torx screws. Remove the connectors first and then remove the box. Do NOT drop it! Store it WELL out of sight, as it is very sensitive and can't do with any impact forces!

Step 2:
Now you can start removing more parts. The handbrake has to be removed. It is held in place by 3 screws. Remove these screws. The handbrake will then be held in place by the cable which runs to the rear cables also by a little wire for the handbrake light (that warning light in the dash). The little light cable is only clipped into the switch. Unclip it and done. Loosen the tension off of the handbrake cable by undoing the nut next to the lever. You can, if you like, take the nut right off to gain as much slack as possible.

The handbrake cable is wedged in place under the car. To get to it, you are best (if you can) to use a car lift (workshop etc.). Lift car and when underneath, loosen the heat shield just before the first "curve" in the exhaust system and push it forwards. You can then see this:

As you can see in the second picture, the wires are held in place by that black bracket. Simply pull the single cable (that what leads downwards in the picture) out and it will simply unhook.

Now you can remove the entire handbrake as such.

Step 3:
Now it gets tricky. Or not really tricky... Now you have to do a fair bit of work

Remove the box which sat behind the handbrake lever by cutting it off. Important: it may be easier to remove the carpets. I didn't need to do that, as I had enough movement and tools for it. If you use an angle grinder, make sure you cover everything inside with nonflammable materials and also cover the glass!

I used an airpowered Dremel-like tool with some blades. No sparks at all... Was important for me. So, this is how it then looks:

Now you can remove the front plate, on which the airbag sensor was screwed to:

Step 4:
So, we've removed all that stuff we don't need anymore. Now you can get busy fitting the new stuff.

The most important part to fit, is the base carrier. The problem is, this part (#9123233) won't fit completely, as the pre-2008 models lack two mounting points. This is the part as a whole (with handbrake lever):

I found it best, to half that part. It doesn't cause any fitting issues, you just have to remember to alter a few little parts...

Right, so half it. I've marked the cutting lines in the next picture:

So, after cutting it, you end up with two parts. The part with the handbrake lever (if you buy one used, make sure it has the cable! If not: buy new!) is required. The area with diamond-looking-lines is where the airbag sensor is to be mounted.

Step 5:
Now you can mount the console frame/base. It is held in place by 3 screws (longer than the ones the old handbrake lever was mounted with) which fit in the three visible holes (lay it on the tunnel in the middle and align the holes, you'll see what holes are important).

Thread the handbrake cable through the hole in the floor and tighten all up:

Now you can refit the airbag sensor:

If you look closely, you can see the metal bracket which holds the waterfall up. This needs a little trimming on the left (you'll feel it when you move the handbrake lever up and down!). Simply give it a rub off with a file...

Step 6:
Now you can rewire the handbrake switch. The old cable isn't long enough. Simply extend it a little bit and plug it into the position it should sit in.

Before you can fit the console itself, you'll want to cut the carpet a little on the left of the handbrake lever. Simply trim about 2 cm off the edge around that area, otherwise it will interfere with the handbrake mechanism.

Step 7:
We are now going to refit the entire console. Important: the opening where the waterfall slides into has a little "pin" sticking out towards the front of the car. This would normally fit into the opposite opening on the lower floor bracket. As we lack it, you can cut it off.

Before putting the console in your car, you'll need to fit the old wiring harness. Luck has it, that the old one can be taken and fitted. Simply slide the clips back and forth and clip into the areas where the power sockets will be and it will be plug and play

If you have an AUX in socket, you'll have to find a way to move it to the rear of the armrest console. I haven't had time to figure a way out, but as soon as I have, I'll update this thread

So, all plugged in, you can put the console in your car. The newer consoles have to be screwed in in a different procedure. Normally you would mount the console, screw it in, then fit the waterfall, screw that in, cover over the mounting points and done. Not here.

Fit the console, don't push it right back into the correct position. Now put the waterfall in place and screw it in. When you have done that, you need to push the entire console forwards until the mounting points align at the front. Screw in place and then put the screws in the armrest compartment part.

When that has been done, you can then assemble the rest of the parts, like the little clip which goes around the handbrake lever opening (should be #39850614). Only when you are satisfied with the position of the parts, should you put the trim sections in... Like the compartment behind the waterfall (which has to be removed before you can remove the waterfall again).

I needed a few trial and errors before I got it all fitted in a satisfying position

When it has finished, you can step back and look at it all

Step 8:
Getting the handbrake to work again, you'll need to put the cable back into place. So back in the lift/hoist, hook the cable back in place and then put the heatshields back in place

Important is now to put tension back on the handbrake cable. The new center console has a little cover inside the center compartment (under the blind) which can be removed and you gain access to the tensioning nut. Give it a few turns. You should be able to get a good tension by pulling the lever, checking how many clicks it requires and then trying again. I find 3 clicks (tops) to be good. Everyone has their own perferance.

Step 9:
Last steps are to fit the seats again and also connect the battery. If you removed the steering wheel as well, refit that before connecting the battery.

Final comparisson:
This is the "before" version of the interior:

This is the "after" version of the interior:

As visible, I also did an R-Design upgrade as well

If you have any questions, don't hesitate! I've probably forgotten to add half of it all but I can't see where I forgot stuff

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 18:00   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

It will take me a while to get through the post fully and is certainly a job I'll get round to doing sometime later this year.

Thanks for write up Daim, top job well done!

Just need to get on and source some parts.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 18:04   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, I of course didn't list a few parts, which are included in the entire thing, like the little compartment behind the waterfall, the trim around the blind, etc.

There is also a little issue: if you have the DSTC button in the middle there, you'll need to somehow move it. Means you'll probably have to somehow change the switch and say use one of the additional switches like for BLIS or so...

As my 2007 has the DSTC on the scroll wheel (indicator stalk), I didn't need to worry about that... But it still is possible

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 17:21   #4
Welton
Premier Member

You are a brave man!

Impressive conversion though for sure! well done.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:

Tags
vaiotag