Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 starting issue

Views : 2436

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 13:56   #21
Aaronpkelly89

Hi guys thanks for all the advice. On the matter of the battery.....the battery was completely dead when I got the car. I put in a relatively new heavy duty diesel battery I'd bought for an old diesel focus a year ago. The car was scrapped and only had battery about a month or two so I kept it. The battery seems to be the exact same dimensions as the battery tray is designed for and any other car I've tried it on started right away but I do understand this is a bigger diesel engine. Just dont want to be buying another battery unnecessarily if this is not the issue. Although I have some doubts as when the battery is fully charged and I hook my other car up with jump leads the car seems to stand a better chance.
Going by your advice and the fault readout....theres definitely a timing issue that needs addressed but it would be nice to rule out a simpler fault.

Thanks
Aaronpkelly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:07   #22
Aaronpkelly89

Hi guys problems persists with this car....tried a brand new super heavy duty battery and outcome was the same. Pump timing was identified by a few members on here which has to be the issue.
Unfortunately I have yet to find a mechanic who will even entertain attempting to sort the issue. Excuses range between I've never worked on old volvos or I'm not familiar with the sort of work involved. It wouldnt take much to save this old girl i would say but it's looking increasingly unlikely that it will see the road again. Car is solid just needs the pump timing to bring her back from the brink.

Does any members here from N.Ireland know of anyone that would be fit to help? Car is based near city of Derry airport.

Any help is very appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200203-163255_Gallery.jpg (62.0 KB, 6 views)
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 22:20   #23
Dancake
Premier Member

The trouble with these engines is that it isn't a two minute job to check/set the timing. The cam pulley that drives the fuel pump needs to be removed to make sure the camshaft is correctly positioned in relation to the crankshaft. Whilst you're in that far it would make sense to replace the fuel pump belt, the idler and the tensioner.

It's possible that the issue lies purely with the fuel pump timing setup, but the standard engine timing needs to be checked as a matter or course. The correct software and VCI also helps considerably (VOL-FCR) when checking the dynamic pump timing, but there aren't that many people who have it over here.

If it was the pump timing at fault, it's something I would sort out at a leisurely pace over a few days if it was my own car, taking my time to deal with any issues that may arise whilst doing the job etc, but it could be worthwhile contacting Simon Chambers at Beechill garage near Carryduff. He's a former Volvo master tech, and he could probably give you an idea of just how much it would cost to rectify the issue. These cars are worth keeping on the road in my opinion.

Last edited by Dancake; Feb 8th, 2020 at 22:22.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 23:55   #24
Aaronpkelly89

100% agree Dancake it's just finding someone near me that's willing to take the work on, not proving to be easy. I had hoped the fact the engine is an old vw audi engine would have made the finding of a mechanic that would do the work easier. Dont want to give up on the car. Thanks for the pointers
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:56   #25
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Yes.. I'll add my two pence worth to those who think this is a timing issue. It almost certainly is. I had similar problems years back with my Tdi, both when I blew the engine in UK, and when the car was stuck in France after an engine rebuild.

To check the dynamic timing on the fuel pump with any degree of accuracy you do need software, and of course know that the crank timing is set up correctly. I ended up getting VOL-FCR and set mine up with live data when I got back to UK. I'd managed to set it up manually (with luck) and that got me home.

Its also worth noting because this has happened to me at a later date.. that the serrated drive wheel on the camshaft which drives the fuel pump is not keyed, and this can move. It only needs to move a smidgeon and it will effect your fuel pump timing.

So.. ensure your crank timing is spot on before touching the fuel pump. It all sounds a bit of a pa-lava, but its actually quite straight forward really once you get into it.

One guy on here who helped me out with the timing when the car was stuck in France was Andy aka NI_Volvo_Nut He lives in Ireland, not sure where, but maybe drop him a PM and ask his advice. He certainly pointed me in the right direction at a time when I was pulling my hair out, and for that I'll always be grateful to him. Click on the link, or look him up in search.

Good luck, and hang onto the car.. they're great motors.

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654

Last edited by tdidave; Feb 9th, 2020 at 11:31.
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 18:20   #26
Aaronpkelly89

Thanks TdiDave....I will look him up and hopefully he can help me out....I dont want to give up on the car but things are not going my way at all this far. Have you still got yours on the road? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaronpkelly89 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:59   #27
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronpkelly89 View Post
Thanks TdiDave....I will look him up and hopefully he can help me out....I dont want to give up on the car but things are not going my way at all this far. Have you still got yours on the road? Thanks
No problem.. I hope Andy can help you out in some way.

Yes, my car's still on the road and going strong. 267,000 miles now.

Don't give up on the car. What seems a huge problem now will vanish into the mists of time once its done.. and it will be. I know it.

By the way there are videos on YouTube concerning this procedure, plus I posted a PDF regarding cambelt changes and pump timing on this particular car. Download it and have a look. Its at the link below.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303488

Dave..

The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:59   #28
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Thanks for the recommendation Dave and I hope you are keeping well mate

Aaron and I have chatted and the car is coming to me to hopefully sort, MOT and get this lady back on the road. Opposite sides of Northern Ireland but sure lol!!

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:48   #29
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Thanks for the recommendation Dave and I hope you are keeping well mate

Aaron and I have chatted and the car is coming to me to hopefully sort, MOT and get this lady back on the road. Opposite sides of Northern Ireland but sure lol!!
Great stuff Andy.. so glad you can help Aaron out. The Volvo family at work.

Me.. I'm well thanks mate and the old Tdi is still purring.

By the way.. I've put you're name forward for a knighthood..

Look after yourself.

Dave..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 21:50   #30
Aaronpkelly89

Thanks again Dave for recommending Andy, looking forward to getting the old girl back on the road very soon due to his much needed help. Excellent forum for Volvo owners. Thanks to everyone for all the advice. See you soon Andy!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaronpkelly89 For This Useful Post: