Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Washers

Views : 1238

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 09:11   #1
key76

Default Headlight Washers

I have a week old S90 T5 R-Design, and noticed that headlight washers seem pretty weak willed. I only know they are functioning because I see the pattern of light on the road change.

I have been driving a new XC60 as a hire car for the last 3 months while I waited for mine and the washers on that were very powerful and caused a huge mist (and noise) as they sprayed. Which is a huge contrast to my S90.

Stood outside my car to test when I got to work and saw washers activate and a gentle jet of water spray the lights. You could stand next to it and not get wet. In the XC60 I would have been soaked by spray standing even at the drivers door.

Is the S90 just less powerful as it’s not an SUV and therefore not likely to get caked in mud, or is something awry? Both headlight washers are same so assuming normal. Windscreen washers work fine and same as in XC60.

Thank you
key76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 19:15   #2
finnster

My V60 ones spray seem to be quite powerful, they spray a mist that when it hits the lights it also goes over the bonnet (Pretty much how i expected they should work) so by your description it doesn't seem right as mine isn't an SUV.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 19:18   #3
key76

I am visiting dealer next week so they can resolve a couple of post-delivery issues, so will mention it then.

As an aside. My previous car, an E Class Mercedes, had full adaptive LED matrix lights and had no washers. I thought they were only required on xenon.
key76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 10:40   #4
Jackysi

They are only required on Xenon correct. Not sure why manufacturers add these to LED headlights. They're completely useless anyway. I've never seen those actually clean anything off the headlights.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:54   #5
daverey

isn't there something about it being a requirement for all headlamps that produce over ???? lumens?? I think the problem is that most xenon lamps do, so usually have washers, but in theory any halogen or LED lamps producing the same lumens would also need them (although I don't think Halogen or most LEDs are capable of this).

I also think that in Sweden for a period - and maybe even now - headlight washers were a legal requirement, so maybe we all have them as a hangover from this?
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 21:18   #6
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

XC60 is the pretty boy of Volvo. In other forums where i am registered i have heard same thing... XC60 all fine, other models not that much. Makes any sense or any damn logic? No. But this is tge reality.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:46   #7
xsaab
Master Member

This article is worth a read re headlight washers
https://www.carlightblog.com/2013/10...washer-system/

Enjoy
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote