Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2.9 T6 2004 fuel consumption

Views : 531

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2019, 22:30   #1
jpx

Default XC90 2.9 T6 2004 fuel consumption

Dear all,
i'm a new owner of Volvo XC90 T6 2004.
the car works fine. No problems at all and no DTC errors to VIDA no check engine light, etc etc
but i think the fuel consumption is very very high.
i need help and opinions about that.
how many l/100km or MPG is your consumption when drive in the city.
and how many Km or Miles per tank.
my consumption is 19l/100km and i need to know what problem car have or how to check or what to check to resolve that problem.
jpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 09:32   #2
Moose Test
Master Member

Hello,

I run the V8, which according to the owner's manual, doesn't differ massively from the 2.9l T6 on paper when it comes to fuel consumption figures.

Based on my experience, 15 mpg (i.e. 19l/100km) is entirely within the range of what I would expect to get when driving in the city with traffic and lots of start stop junctions/traffic lights/roundabouts. Naturally, your city driving conditions will be different to mine, as may be your driving style. I tend to be driving alone when in the city, rather than loaded with passengers, which also has an effect. So 2-3 l/100km either side is nothing, for purposes of comparison.

I think your car is performing as expected, especially taking into account its age. The 'problem' is that these are heavy vehicles with automatic transmission and thus they don't get good gas mileage.

Last edited by Moose Test; Dec 16th, 2019 at 09:35.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:08   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx View Post
Dear all,
i'm a new owner of Volvo XC90 T6 2004.
the car works fine. No problems at all and no DTC errors to VIDA no check engine light, etc etc
but i think the fuel consumption is very very high.
i need help and opinions about that.
how many l/100km or MPG is your consumption when drive in the city.
and how many Km or Miles per tank.
my consumption is 19l/100km and i need to know what problem car have or how to check or what to check to resolve that problem.
The T6 will be doing about 18 mpg around town , you might just get 30 mpg on a longer run if you do not exceed 60 mph ....
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:15   #4
jpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Hello,

I run the V8, which according to the owner's manual, doesn't differ massively from the 2.9l T6 on paper when it comes to fuel consumption figures.

Based on my experience, 15 mpg (i.e. 19l/100km) is entirely within the range of what I would expect to get when driving in the city with traffic and lots of start stop junctions/traffic lights/roundabouts. Naturally, your city driving conditions will be different to mine, as may be your driving style. I tend to be driving alone when in the city, rather than loaded with passengers, which also has an effect. So 2-3 l/100km either side is nothing, for purposes of comparison.

I think your car is performing as expected, especially taking into account its age. The 'problem' is that these are heavy vehicles with automatic transmission and thus they don't get good gas mileage.
before a month my consumptios is 15l/100km....

Last edited by jpx; Dec 16th, 2019 at 11:17.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:46   #5
exodont

Hello,

i'm a owner of Volvo XC90 T6 2004 too and my fuel consumption is in winter about 14l/100 and in summer 12l/100 in mix city/highway driving

It depends also if you have a light foot and if you have a lot of start stop ...
exodont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:57   #6
oragex
Premier Member

How many km on it ?

It is difficult to recommend things from a distance, because there could be many factors. If you notice the consumption dropped from 15l to 19l/100km, I would start by lifting the car and turn each wheel to see if a caliper may be stuck. Also measure the wheel pressure while there - I think 35psi should be a good target

Also try getting gasoline from a different station.

The engine air filter is easy to inspect, but replace only if it's really dirty.

Another thing you can try is removing the spark plugs and inspecting them like here (remember which cylinder they belong) https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...rom-the-others

The spark plug tip must be like the 'clean' ones, a little white/grey. If you notice the tip is covered with oil or dark, etc, maybe there is an issue that can foul the front oxygen sensor. Just a few ideas, I recommend not replacing parts just to 'try' because it gets quickly expensive.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 19:49   #7
jpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
How many km on it ?

It is difficult to recommend things from a distance, because there could be many factors. If you notice the consumption dropped from 15l to 19l/100km, I would start by lifting the car and turn each wheel to see if a caliper may be stuck. Also measure the wheel pressure while there - I think 35psi should be a good target

Also try getting gasoline from a different station.

The engine air filter is easy to inspect, but replace only if it's really dirty.

Another thing you can try is removing the spark plugs and inspecting them like here (remember which cylinder they belong) https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...rom-the-others

The spark plug tip must be like the 'clean' ones, a little white/grey. If you notice the tip is covered with oil or dark, etc, maybe there is an issue that can foul the front oxygen sensor. Just a few ideas, I recommend not replacing parts just to 'try' because it gets quickly expensive.
Thank you for reply.
I had make full service before 2000 km so spark plugs I think it's ok. But I check again.
Front caliper dont stop the car. I have allready check that.
Also air filter is new and clear.
My car is like new condition.
I ask if I try to clean fuel sprayers and/or change os2 sensors (3 pices) and change air filter with k&n ....
What else to check I dont know.....

Tags
hi consumption volvo xc90