Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 T4 and 2.0 T4 diffs

Views : 1780

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 13:27   #1
Mav_UK

Hey All,

Just been looking for prices for a T4 (comparing UK and Holland) and noticed some diffs. The 1999 T4 (11k GBP - 33% cheaper than over here in holland) has a 1.9 engine. The 2001 T4 has a 2.0 engine.

Anyone know why the diff, and what differrence it makes to power / drivability?

Cheers

Stu
Old Sep 5th, 2002, 16:12   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: 1.9 T4 and 2.0 T4 diffs

stu

have a quick look at

http://host12.ipowerweb.com/~carthri...s=&threadid=93

off the www.clubvolvo.com website, look at the postings made by dan f
he is the man you need to speak to about x40's, seems to know bl**dy everything !!

later

scott

GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2002, 00:16   #3
storksb

Not sure on the exact details, but the phase 1 T4 has a smaller displacement and when the phase 2 came out it had a new engine with 1954 ish cc. I believe though that they both have the same power rating.
Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:38   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Scott, you are too kind.... ;-)
I have just done my homework with these cars as I don't want to do any damage if I modify anything......

Another thing to bear in mind, after reading the above referred to thread, is that the T4 is only 1.855 litres (PI) or 1.948 litres (PII), so 13psi will not get much more than 200 bhp for that engine size unless you start adding things such as VVT on all valves etc, etc....
Hence it being referred to as a High Pressure Turbo. I believe SAABs version is HOT or High Output Turbo.
Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:38   #5
Mav_UK

Always wondered what the HOT stood for....

Drove a 93 2.0 HOT (200bhp) once. In a straight line it was great, but I didn't rate it's cornering, or driver enjoyment much. Are the T4's enjoyable to drive as well as being quick?

Stu
Old Sep 6th, 2002, 14:38   #6
Mike Clift

Stu

Drive a "normal" V40 then drive a T4 version.

One of them will make you smile quite a bit more - I'll leave you to decide which !!!!

Perhaps the only downside is the slightly harsher suspension set up but you soon get used to it.

Mike

V40 T4 SE Auto
Old Sep 8th, 2002, 08:13   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Stu.
I find my T4 to be immensely fun to drive.
On corners I just try to drive like you would any other FWD car, of course you have to allow for the extra power and also allow for torque steer if you press the fun pedal a little hard on exiting the corner.
The DSA doews a marvellous job of reining in the power if needs be , so there aren't many worries.

I think the T4 does a grand job of being fun to drive.
Like anything, once you are used to the car you can push it a little further and a little harder.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2002, 07:15   #8
Mav_UK

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies,

The harsh ride is going to be fine, it *can't* be as harsh as my spitfire (racing suspension with 1" of travel left and it never hits the bump stops...)

I'm going to see if I can have a go in my other halfs fathers 1.8 (98 / 99 I think) and then try to find a T4 just to see (but I can guess how much fun a 200bhp Volvo is.........)

Chat later

Stu