Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad vibrations... ??

Views : 1535

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 17:01   #1
jasoncreasey

Hi folks,

I've just bought a '99/T V40 XS 1.8 auto' & I'm generally very happy with the car.

There's one particularly annoying thing however, which I'm trying to establish if it's a fault with the car or just a V40 design-flaw. The Volvo dealer is of course saying there's nothing wrong.....

There is, I believe, a bad vibration/resonance/boominess heard in the cabin (I presume transmitted from the engine or exhaust) when the engine's at around 4000 revs & upwards. It's noticeable even at a standstill (with the gearbox in 'neutral' or 'park' whilst holding the engine at approx' 4000 rpm,) but is of course more obvious whilst the engine's under load (i.e. accelerating hard whilst driving.)

Does anyone know if this pronounced vibration/boominess is normal with a 1.8 V40, or is there a problem? I've noticed a few reviews mentioning the engines are 'unrefined', but not sure if my problem is what they're on about.

Just one other thing: There's a difference in ride-height of approx 15mm between each side of the front suspension. (i.e. When parked on a level road-surface & the front wheels are straight, the n/s front wing arch is approx 15mm higher off the ground than the o/s arch (& therefore the gap between the top of the n/s tyre & arch is visually bigger than the o/s.))

Does anyone think this is normal (or at least within Volvo tolerances) or is it a problem?...

Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best,

Jason

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 22:58   #2
Mike Clift

Jason

I drive a 99 V40 T4 SE and have also driven a 99 V40 1.8 SE and have not noticed any boominess in either.

However, it may be that the SE spec has more "padding".

Try driving with the boot cover closed to see if that makes a difference and also cover the floor are with a few bags etc to see if any difference.

Plus, collapse the rear seats completely. I would expect that to be a bit noisier up front.

Not keen on the 15 mm difference. Have you checked tyre pressures are ok, tyre and wheel sizes are identical? Personally, I don't think what you describe is acceptable and would want the dealer to examine it in more detail. Have a look on their forecourt with a tape measure and see if their are others like it.

Hope that helps abit but do report back when resolved etc so we all know what the problem/resolution was.

Mike
V40 T4 SE Auto
Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:20   #3
Mav_UK

Hi,

I'd go with Mike, 15mm difference is not good. I've never had that on any car (including a 1978 Fiesta) so I'd get the front (and rear) suspension checked out.

Stu
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 14:02   #4
jasoncreasey

Hi Mike, hi Stu,

Thanks for your help & advice. I haven't had chance to try your suggestions yet Mike, but the car has been in to my local Volvo dealer for things to be checked out. It seems I'm a fussy git! :

As regards the boominess, they said there's nothing mechanically wrong with the car in any way & couldn't 'hear' any problems as such. At the weekend I ran into an old friend who has three V40 1.6's in his company fleet: he came for a drive in my car, I pointed out the boominess & he said all their cars do it too. So it seems there's a design-flaw (in my opinion,) with the 1.6 & 1.8 as regards cabin resonance from the engine or exhaust. The 2-litre incidentally uses a different down-pipe which is probably why there's a difference in the sound of that one at least....

I was right about there being a difference in ride-height, but HR Owen's technician said that it was correct, & normal: Volvo apparently set the suspension to compensate for the camber on english roads, so that the car is as level as possible when driving on the inside lane.... Would you believe it!!!!

I think I'll still write to Volvo UK about the boominess though... I'm going to have to live with it I guess, but I'm nevertheless suprised that it's there seeing as Volvo is supposedly a 'prestige' car manufacturer. If I get any response I'll let you know.

Thanks again guys. All the best,

Jason

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 14:16   #5
Mav_UK

I know that V40's suffer from more road noise than the 440's (Other halfs sister drives a '97 2.0 V40 and her parents replaced their 440 (now mine) with a 1.8 '98 (or 99) V40 and they are both far noiser than the 440 I now have. I've been told by mechanics that it's probably down to a couple of things - 1) It's an estate not a hatchback therefore more space for reasonance (think bass bins) and 2 it is heavier and designed to hold more weight therefore the suspension is likely to be stiffer allowing more transmission of noise from the wheels.

Chat later

Stu
Old Sep 17th, 2002, 14:46   #6
jasoncreasey

Hi Stu,

yes, that all makes sense...

Funnily enough though, the mechanic said that my car was in particulary good condition & very quiet in the cabin for a V40, which was perhaps why the boominess from the engine was more noticeable than would be usual. It's certainly less obvious when I'm on the motorway because of the road noise that you mentioned, but still it's there... at least I know it's there!

(Partly the problem maybe that my profession is sound-related, so I'm particulary in-tune with noise!)

cheers,

Jason

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:35   #7
Mav_UK

My advise:

Go for a long travel insomething like a Megane / 306 / Seat Leon / VW Golf. These cars all seem to have VERY noisey engines, with lots of road noise (at least the ones wehad in my old office did!). Then get back into your Volvo. Arhhhhhhhh Silence!

Stu

PS Don't try with with an Omega - went to Scotland from Leicester in my dads and when I got back into the Volvo I couldn't beileive how loud it was!