Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what the diffrence with v power and tesco 99 octane

Views : 2642

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 21:47   #11
Ross9
Master Member

My 300 bhp Impreza Sti Type R loved OPtimax/ v-power ( we were all getting v-power for a month or two before it was launched, was in the optiplop tanks) far more than any other fuel.

Jacqs T4 was notably sluggish on other fuels apart from optimax (been off the road having a big spec done so never had v-power) and I never run my Rover on anything but optimax and now V-power, truth be told I fill it with v-power and 2 tins of octane booster per tank before a track day, or half a tank and 1 tin for a drag day, but then I rarely use it as it's just for fun and everythign about it is for performance above all else.

Ross

Last edited by Ross9; Nov 14th, 2006 at 21:50.
Ross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 08:31   #12
charlesboya
charlesboya

Default V Power vs Tesco 99 Ron

There is a very good sight at www.thorneysport.co.uk which compares the two !
This company appears to have carried out a very thorough piece of research and is very favourable towards the Tesco fuel.

cheers,
charlesboya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 18:19   #13
charlesboya
charlesboya

Default V Power vs Tesco 99 Ron

Sorry Guys, the correct web address for the research details is:

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

cheers,
charlesboya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 18:54   #14
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesboya View Post
Sorry Guys, the correct web address for the research details is:

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

cheers,
For what its worth John’s tests was with Optimax not V Power and I think he got a fair bit of stick on a well known performance car forum regarding the results, however after running mine for over 18 months on Tesco 99 I agree with him. My views are still out on V power as I’ve not tried it, but can’t help being sceptical it’s the same stuff as Optimax re-badged. Will be happy to be proved wrong though as any improvement in performance is welcome.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 19:38   #15
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
My views are still out on V power as I’ve not tried it, but can’t help being sceptical it’s the same stuff as Optimax re-badged.
i think you should try it gary, v-power claim a higher octane rating of 99 RON (Optimax was 98 RON) meaning that the fuel burns more effectively, additives in the fuel to reduce the loss of energy in the engine by reducing friction in the cylinders.
it also claims that the fuel contains cleaning agents designed to remove unwanted deposits from your engine. Shell says V-Power can clear years’ worth of build-up in just a few tankfuls.
it really does improve the mpg and performance in my car....
cheers
jod
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 19:47   #16
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
i think you should try it gary, v-power claim a higher octane rating of 99 RON (Optimax was 98 RON) meaning that the fuel burns more effectively, additives in the fuel to reduce the loss of energy in the engine by reducing friction in the cylinders.
it also claims that the fuel contains cleaning agents designed to remove unwanted deposits from your engine. Shell says V-Power can clear years’ worth of build-up in just a few tankfuls.
it really does improve the mpg and performance in my car....
cheers
jod
Your round? lol.............. 40 litres should it
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 19:54   #17
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Your round? lol.............. 40 litres should it
tbh gary im not sure it is that dear..comparitively, jo always fills up at abridge where it is cheaper than my local tesco for 99ronny in dunmow...dont ask for prices i dont fill up....or pay...lol
cheers
jod
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 20:11   #18
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
tbh gary im not sure it is that dear..comparitively, jo always fills up at abridge where it is cheaper than my local tesco for 99ronny in dunmow...dont ask for prices i dont fill up....or pay...lol
cheers
jod
Househusband, I thought so mate, has your better half got any likewise friends lol
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:06   #19
peteS40

Round here tesco 99 ron is 2p+/litre cheaper than shell v-power. Also the tescos that sell it seem to be 24 hr garages but the shell I go to isn't. I'm trying the tesco stuff now. I was using an octane booster additive with the v-power but I'm not with the tesco stuff. I think I'm a bit put off because I think I had a bad batch of the v-power the other week. At the moment I seem to be having some fuelling problems in general though so can't really comment but have filled up twice with the tesco now. My mpg is cr*p anyway but even if nothing different between the two, the tesco is cheaper... I know it doesn't seem like much but it's typically £1 each time I vist the petrol station and I do seem to be visiting an awful lot at the moment...

Pete
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 13:00   #20
steveT4

Unhappy

I have a T4 and it loved the Optimax, but it was 5-6p per litre more than the standard unleaded. Not a problem as the economy and performance improved. I then was moved to the V-power and it was about 6-7p per litre more, and again not a problem. But when I went to fill up the other day the V power has gone to 13p more than the standard. Is the V power really worth double the extra over the old Optimax?
Is this price difference the same everywhere or is my local garage just charging too much - they say they don't set the price!...
steveT4 is offline   Reply With Quote