Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 having intermittent difficulty starting

Views : 3766

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 22:20   #71
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Just in case I haven't explained very well

When you try and start, almost immediately you crank her over she fires up but then she immediately dies. Its all over in part of a second. Then you crank her over maybe up to 7 or 8 times over 2 or 3 minutes and then she'll start

Internet tells me mass airflow sensor or ignition coil for engine fires once, dies, then won't restart but the garage had a spark and fuel that day so that would eliminate the coil?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Sep 13th, 2019 at 22:31.
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 11:32   #72
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Just in case I haven't explained very well

When you try and start, almost immediately you crank her over she fires up but then she immediately dies. Its all over in part of a second. Then you crank her over maybe up to 7 or 8 times over 2 or 3 minutes and then she'll start

Internet tells me mass airflow sensor or ignition coil for engine fires once, dies, then won't restart but the garage had a spark and fuel that day so that would eliminate the coil?
THat's what i'm thinking. If it was an older car i'd be looking at the ballast resistor with symptoms like that but of course the 7/9xx don't have them on the ignition. However that does point to another item they do have and that's the ignition switch (or starter switch as Volvo call them) and a good way to test this is to get a length of wire, connect one end to the +ve terminal on the coil and the other end to the +ve terminal on the battery, then try starting it. If it fires and runs no problem, it indicates a faulty ignition (starter) switch. However, given the inetrmittent nature of the problem, you'd have to do this test several times when it was playing up to be certain. Just for fun, Volvo fitted a variety of starter (ignition) switches to the 7/9xx range and not all of them will work so a secondhand one is going to be hard to find unless you get the part number off the back of the switch. First thing to do is to do the test, it may prove fruitless but it may also indicate the fault.

Sorry i took a while replying last night, had a migraine then went to bed early because of it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 14:16   #73
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
THat's what i'm thinking. If it was an older car i'd be looking at the ballast resistor with symptoms like that but of course the 7/9xx don't have them on the ignition. However that does point to another item they do have and that's the ignition switch (or starter switch as Volvo call them) and a good way to test this is to get a length of wire, connect one end to the +ve terminal on the coil and the other end to the +ve terminal on the battery, then try starting it. If it fires and runs no problem, it indicates a faulty ignition (starter) switch. However, given the inetrmittent nature of the problem, you'd have to do this test several times when it was playing up to be certain. Just for fun, Volvo fitted a variety of starter (ignition) switches to the 7/9xx range and not all of them will work so a secondhand one is going to be hard to find unless you get the part number off the back of the switch. First thing to do is to do the test, it may prove fruitless but it may also indicate the fault.

Sorry i took a while replying last night, had a migraine then went to bed early because of it.
Thanks Dave. I don't explain myself very well I am afraid, sorry. It isn't intermittent, it does this exact same thing every single time I start. She fires but then dies almost immediately, then you have to crank her over for a couple of minutes. She seems to like not being cranked for a couple of minutes also yet I am sure she is not flooding.

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 14:43   #74
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I was still calling it intermittent as she behaved herself for a few days after you wiggled the wiring around #4 injector Ellie, i'm wondering if you have another wiggle in that general area if you can recreate the behaving herself again?

Worth doing the test with the jumper wire to coil +ve though, just in case the igniton switch is playing up - had that happen on my last 740 with similar symptoms to yours. Would behave itself for a few days then suddenly not start first time then all of a sudden spring into life as if nothing was wrong. Renewed the starter (igniton) switch and problem solved.

Took a bit of soul-searching though as i had to get mine from Volvo and it was ŁOUCH but worth it in the end to cure the problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 16:02   #75
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was still calling it intermittent as she behaved herself for a few days after you wiggled the wiring around #4 injector Ellie, i'm wondering if you have another wiggle in that general area if you can recreate the behaving herself again?

Worth doing the test with the jumper wire to coil +ve though, just in case the igniton switch is playing up - had that happen on my last 740 with similar symptoms to yours. Would behave itself for a few days then suddenly not start first time then all of a sudden spring into life as if nothing was wrong. Renewed the starter (igniton) switch and problem solved.

Took a bit of soul-searching though as i had to get mine from Volvo and it was ŁOUCH but worth it in the end to cure the problem.
Hi again Dave

It was only one single day, the day after the new cps was fitted, one cold hard start that she seemed ok on again, the other hot starts probably went ok because I gave it full throttle. Every single day before and after that had the same problem. I will get my garage to do the wire test when shes in in a few weeks, thanks!

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 16:58   #76
stegreg
VOC Member

did have a similar issue with mine a couple of times....turned out to be the ht contact point in dizzy cap, gave them a clean and got me home, so replaced both items.

on one other occaision. again cranking and no start....fuel pump fuse, dry connection. slid in/out few times and all was good.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 23:09   #77
samnbo

had this problem spent months spending and changing things no joy turned out new temp sensor was duff put old one back in started first time never failed since.
samnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:10   #78
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Finally, time to update!

Now starting first time on the button, hot and cold starts!

A few days before going to America I tanked up with petrol and lpg. This immediately resolved the cold start issue! It also quite improved the hot start issue but not entirely. At the very time of the start of the starting issue I had tanked up and initially suspected bad fuel but when I went back to the service station and asked if they had had any other complaints from other users but they said 'no'. I decided to run the fuel right down to very low just in case it was that rather than top up and mix good and bad fuel (even though no other users from that garage had a problem and I had convinced myself it couldn't be fuel since no one else had a problem).

Now that she was starting on the button on cold starts but still not entirely right on hot starts I wondered if when the garage cleaned the throttle body when I was on holiday and replaced the filthy fuel filter if that would resolve the hot start issues and it did!

Car is now starting on the button hot and cold, ever since I came back from holiday a couple of weeks ago. As well as a service, she had the throttle body cleaned out, new LED headlight bulbs fitted, the gearbox oil changed using the expensive Volvo recommended oil, new brakepads, MOT etc and is now running like a dream! Gearbox no longer has a faint whine when cold and the headlights, as recommended by Dave on another thread, are FANTASTIC!

As an added bonus, reference my previous post on Brickboards that a dodgy crank sensor can cause the very high revving on motorway driving, since the fitting of the new crank sensor that problem which I have had for years has gone! It was a pita because no doubt I used way more fuel on motorways and the only way to stop the revving was to to restart the engine and my previous garage had been able to resolve the issue!

Old Nov 10th, 2019, 10:03   #79
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you got it sorted in the end Ellie and welcome back!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: