Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

replacing brake discs

Views : 10376

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 00:15   #1
Cypher007
Master Member

Default replacing brake discs

im a bit of a noob on all the technicalities, but i understand the fu*z sorry police used to run 330mm front discs on there 850's. were there any changes made to the rear discs? and is it possible to get hold of these discs. also do the calipers and pads need to be changed?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:02   #2
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: replacing brake discs

Volvo did at one time offer a big brake kit of their own which was initially very expensive compared to the AP kit that retailed until recently for £1240 plus VAT.

I remember that there was a regular contributor here who did manage to get such a Volvo kit at an advantageous price...if he is still arround maybe he can remind us of his experience with it.

Otherwise, you really have to stick with some mix of standard size discs, maybe drilled, grooved or a combination with an aftermarket pad.

Worth remembering that under current EU directives, no compound may have characteristics more than 5% greater than that offered by the manufacturer.

EBC's ceramic Redstuff work well with any standard size discs priced at arround £85 plus VAT. There are a fair few now running standard size discs with Ferodo DS2500 compound at arround £122 plus VAT. Worth bearing in mind that particular pad shape with DS2500 does not presently conform to the EU directive.

I keep all this stuff in stock.... also have just got some stock of a Black Diamond pad that they claim is similar to the DS2500/Redstuff...same price as Redstuff.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME software for serious Volvo Tuning.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:06   #3
volvotuning

>Worth remembering that under current EU directives, no
>compound may have characteristics more than 5% greater than
>that offered by the manufacturer.

You keep changing this figure!!!! A while ago you said it was 15%, now you state 5%. Are you 100% sure it's not 17%?

Adam.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:18   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

One mistake from my earlier post.

The price of the DS2500 is £114 plus VAT delivered.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 14:37   #5
L7DDO

>>Worth remembering that under current EU directives, no
>>compound may have characteristics more than 5% greater than
>>that offered by the manufacturer.
>
>You keep changing this figure!!!! A while ago you said it was
>15%, now you state 5%. Are you 100% sure it's not 17%?
>
>Adam.

LOL Adam }(

S70 T5 SE.....Tweaked a little ;)
L7DDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 16:48   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

Is there nothing that the EU aren't prepared to stick their noses into? If your brakes pass an mot then they should be OK.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 17:04   #7
Simon J
Premier Member

Now, now children!!!!

But back to the original question. There are numerous threads on the board about the various brake upgrades, but they can be quickly summarised as:

Standard (in most cases!) 280mm

T5 (in most cases!) and also police upgrade: 302mm using the same calipers as the 280mm brakes but with an additional mounting bracket. These require 16" wheels, and even then, only certain (Volvo) ones will fit.

Volvo Performance Brakes: 320mm with completely different calipers.These require 17" wheels and any Volvo 17" one will fit.

I'm the lucky guy that got the 320mm set at a very advantageous price from Volvo but as Don said, they are incredibly expensive with a full retail price well in excess of £1500 and, I would have to say, they are not worth that sort of money. Although better than standard brakes, I was never entirely happy with them but I recently replaced the discs and pads (and at less than 30,000 miles also managed to get a contribution from Volvo to the cost!)and the new set are much, much better. In fact they are really good. But it's hard to avoid the conclusion that the AP set up is quite simply far better value for money. One of these days I'd love to try a car with the AP set just to compare.

And as for the EU Directive (often referred to as Regulation 90), I did a bit of research on that and it would seem that the requirement is for after market replacement items to have a performance characteristics within 15% of the original equipment. But from what I could find out, there is nothing that actually makes it illegal to use non Reg 90 brake pads. The idea is to provide assurances about performance so that consumers know what they are buying rather than to impose constraints on what can or cannot be sold. However, there are obviusly insurance implications in using non standard parts, whether Reg 90 or not. My insurance company - Volvo Insurance - imposed no additional premium once I told them that the brakes were Volvo parts.

I'm sure that some of those who have the AP kit can offer their comments as well
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 17:33   #8
volvotuning

You can get close to AP performance much cheaper, simply by going for a larger 302 mm Brembo disc and going with a Ferodo DS2500 pad. This setup has several advantages -

1. **Much** cheaper to buy initially
2. Much cheaper to buy replacement discs etc
3. They look standard, so they're not "in your face"

And for the road, they will provide more than enough stopping power. After all, the AP kits use Ferodo pads which is where the stopping power comes from in the first place.

Adam.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 17:41   #9
Simon J
Premier Member

I'd agree with Adam's point about brakes that look obviously modified. That is about the only real advantage the Volvo ones have over the AP set as they just look like bigger versions of the standard brakes - very unobtrusive. Here is a comparison between the 280mm and the 320mm on my C70

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/user_files/1215.jpg

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/user_files/1216.jpg
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 21:04   #10
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Standard spec brakes v big brake kit

I would like to correct an earlier post that compares the performance favourably of a standard sized plain disc with a Ferodo DS2500 pad with that of an AP kit.

Standard sized discs and pads have nothing like the stopping power of the much larger AP pad combined with its effect on the much larger disc.

Where the AP kit comes further into its own is when you try to stop a heavy and powerfull car repeatedly. The AP disc is fitted to an aluminium alloy centre bell that prevents disc distortion. The twin piston callipers apply pressure evenly over a much larger area.

If you attempt to break heavilly and repeatedly with any, repeat any combination of standard sized disc, be it plain or drilled or grooved combined with any aftermarket pad you will experience heat build up, fade and distortion of the disc...the more so in fact if you have a more aggresive pad material.

You will get a very marginal improvement in retardation with any new standard sized discs and a choise from the many standard and special aftermarket pads available on first and subsequant infrequant brake application. You will never, ever get the consistant, full and repeated retardation from standard sized components that you are assured of with an AP big brake kit or indeed from the offerings of some of their competitors.

It is fair to say that the cost of an AP kit is now very substantial against the depreciated value of earlier 850's and the 70 series vehicles, but the cost of high quality replacement standard parts also is a consideration in this respect.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com