Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tesco Super 99 or 97 Octane

Views : 6867

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:30   #21
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I switch between Tesco 99 and V-power. I can't say there's much difference between the two because I alternate so much. One thing I will never do again is put 95 in! What a load of rubbish! OK for some cars but not for mine. It felt like a non turbo and really suffered in the cold. I would sway slightly towards V-power because of the cleaners in it but tesco is on my route home so I don't mind putting 99 in it.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 19:26   #22
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

I use different fuels for different cars. I live all of 100 yards from a Tesco petrol station, but only the Probe goes there for fuel.

The C70 and the Passat get taken for a 3 mile drive to the nearest Shell. I've only used regular Shell in the Volvo, but the Passat (because of the remap) has to have super. I tried the BP optimax and the car seemed much less responsive than on V-Power.

As a result, my cross Europe route for next month has all the Shell stations plotted on it LOL

Just as a matter of interest, is there any reason to use the V-Power in the T5 as it is standard (for now!)?
Nunchukhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 17:47   #23
Georgey dee
Premier Member

97 upwards is a must for any cars that have been moded. There's must less risk of 'Deting' if the fuel is 97 or above especially in cold weather. As some of you may know you could set your MBC in the summer and find the boost increases on those crisp winter mornings.

As for a standard car,,,,, well the ECU does 'learn' what fuel your using, thats why some companies claim that you use less fuel on super therfore saving money,,,,HHMMM.

Your T5 will after 10 miles of driving learn that super is in it and wind off the fuel... The difference being that if you need more it's there in the form of increased octane.

The other way to cope with this is to increase your fuel pressure with a remap but most remaps insist on super anyway because it saves you having to change your injectors and fuel pump to cope with the increased power.

Having said all this volvos do cut the ignition before the engine killer 'deting' happens.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:56   #24
Greyhound1

Default Hmmmm...

I'm totally confused over what is the best fuel to use. In the past I always felt that Esso fuel gave me more mpg and the cars (various makes inc Volvo) felt smoother and more responsive. My last half dozen or so cars have all been Vollys and each seems to behave differently on a given fuel. My last 3 940's (all 2.3 LPT) seem to behave slightly better on 97RON but I'm really not sure about the improved consumption claims. Recently I've been trying the Tesco 99RON fuel and while I feel it gives me a tiny bit more ooomph, I'm worried about various reports I've seen on here about it not being so clean. Tesco state that it is cleaner than all the competition so who is right? What I can say is that locally, 97Ron from BP & Shell is around 102.9 per litre. Tesco 99 Ron is 98.9. A saving of around 20p per gallon.
In the past we used to complain that fuel had gone up by say 2p a gallon. Now we complain that fuel has gone up by 2p per litre. In English that's about 10p per gallon. We've all been conned!
A bit off topic but allied: (Can't find any specifics in the forums) Anyone out there got any recommendations re spark plugs for 940 2.3 LPT? I always found NGK worked best in Fords (Dim and distant past when I couldn't afford a real car!) So.... What's best in a 940?

Happy motoring...

Greyhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 13:17   #25
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
97 upwards is a must for any cars that have been moded. There's must less risk of 'Deting' if the fuel is 97 or above especially in cold weather. As some of you may know you could set your MBC in the summer and find the boost increases on those crisp winter mornings.

As for a standard car,,,,, well the ECU does 'learn' what fuel your using, thats why some companies claim that you use less fuel on super therfore saving money,,,,HHMMM.

Your T5 will after 10 miles of driving learn that super is in it and wind off the fuel... The difference being that if you need more it's there in the form of increased octane.

The other way to cope with this is to increase your fuel pressure with a remap but most remaps insist on super anyway because it saves you having to change your injectors and fuel pump to cope with the increased power.

Having said all this volvos do cut the ignition before the engine killer 'deting' happens.
Sorry georgey dee,

but pretty much all the above is totally wrong!!
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 13:20   #26
st5ve
S60 R

Hi Bob can you explain in lay man terms what is wrong with what he said please.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 13:31   #27
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Yes Bob,

please elaborate. Which part of what georgey Dee wrote is wrong or inaccurate.

97 upwards is a must for any cars that have been moded?

less risk of 'Deting' if the fuel is 97 or above?

standard car the ECU does 'learn' what fuel your using?

Just curious if Georgey got that wrong.

cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 13:52   #28
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttacornwall View Post
Hi Bob can you explain in lay man terms what is wrong with what he said please.
well for one the ecu wont lean out the fueling when running higher octane fuel, meaning you need to get a remap to raise the fuel pressure!!!

you use less fuel because you can run more ignition advance (higher cyl pressure thus more efficiency) and thus get more torque from the same amount of fuel and air, which means the ecu can inject less fuel for the same torque as before.

thats the advantage of higher octane fuel.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 13:56   #29
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigapumbu View Post
Yes Bob,

[I]97 upwards is a must for any cars that have been moded?

cheers
I can answer that, but would really need to hear why its considered a must on an engine that can vary timing and fueling.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 14:26   #30
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
I can answer that, but would really need to hear why its considered a must on an engine that can vary timing and fueling.
I ain't technical and thats why I too would like to know the answer. Always heard that modified cars "should" use higher octane but don't know the reasoning or put it this way, the benefits of using that fuel.

perhaps you are able to explain and thats why I asked.

thanks

cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote