Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The art of Chip Tuning.

Views : 16009

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 18:46   #21
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
There are further developements on www.t5d5.org

I have to say that the point has been aired there that some well established forums have been very, very reticent to host any posts whatsoever on this subject and therefore really are letting down the Volvo community.

Regards, Don.
I take it you are making reference to these comments then Don:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Drivealot
What suprises me is the fear that people have of telling the truth about such issues on public forums. With one forum being quite clearly in the pocket of a commercial interest, and another fearing litigation from commercial parties. much truth has been stifled in the interest of not rocking the boat.
I can only assume the former refers to VPCUK and the latter the VOC and I doubt neither party can make a credible case to deny those comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Drivealot
It' suprising how many people have been silenced, it's not just a handfull. in the last 24 hours I must have seen about 20 seperate examples.

I was of the misguided opinion that these internet forums were for people to share information and assist each other, but it seems that on the Volvo scene they have been hijacked, by individuals who have very effectively threatened, or bought the site owners to prevent any negative publicity.
This has cost many of us a small fortune as we were not able to make informed decisions on what to do

The behaviour of the UK volvo forums has sadly fallen into the realms of the East German, cold war Stazi. quite frankly being affraid to speak up has no place in a society that prides itself in free speech.

The comments of Volvo owners that I have heard over the last few weeks are very similar in nature to those of people I personally know who have lived through totalitarian dictatorships.
Comments such as "it didn't come from me" "I don't want to cause problems for anyone" "if I'd said that I'd be banned" " I would have said, but I didn't want to cause trouble" and many others in his thread, and the messages I've recieved all re-inforce the suggestion that there has been some sort of arm twisting going on behind the scenes.

I think it's about time that other Volvo forum owners took a long hard look at themselves, and ask if they really did partake in a coverup. The comments here by certain owners are irrefutable proof of an attempt to hush up certain negative opinions of certain operations.

I have solid information that certain parties have threatened legal action against various forums carrying negative info. even though those threats were empty ones, they were enough to worry the owners into removing the comments.

It's a sad and sorry state of affairs that seems to be comming to an end. It was only a matter of time before somebody wouldn't lie down and take it.
I don't know about you but I think Sir Drivealot, is in my book, genuinely a candidate for a Knighthood for "Services to the Volvo Community!!"

The fact remains that the company in question can respond to these comments on the T5D5 forum but is refusing to comment, undeniably because they will not enjoy the 'immunity' they have become accustomed to, or possibly because it is indeed all true and they can make no defence whatsover anyway.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:00   #22
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
i find it slightly ironic what mikest5r has to say about the vpcuk forum
But then again wasn't he banished into the distance (albeit temporarily) when he took on the company in question, whilst offering forum users a substantially better deal on Koni FSD kits?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=Koni&page=4

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:08   #23
PNuT
MaDMaN

unsure of that case... all i know is i got called a few choice names by mike for suggesting i may get banned from that site...

i have to say i dont fear getting banned from any site for speaking the truth!

the vpcuk site & VT seem to have a very close relationship....

what i dont really understand from mikes point of veiw on the vpcuk site is he seems very happy with VT????
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:21   #24
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Seems to me a lot of peeps don't want to comment on the T5D5 forum

Cheers
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:22   #25
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Seems to me a lot of peeps don't want to comment on the T5D5 forum

Cheers
who is running the t5d5 forum?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:29   #26
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
who is running the t5d5 forum?
The members mate..................
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 19:54   #27
S60-MBS
VOC Member

"who is running the t5d5 forum?"

Us!....you,me,him and them running t5d5.org

Last edited by S60-MBS; Sep 16th, 2007 at 20:07.
S60-MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 20:20   #28
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

I applaud t5d5 for providing a place for members to voice their experiences without fear of recrimination.

I also think it is vital to let potential customers know about these bad experiences so that they may make an informed choice on the performance upgrades they choose.

Well done guys.

Last edited by MissDMeanor; Sep 16th, 2007 at 20:46.
MissDMeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 20:31   #29
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Yeah I second that. The whole idea of a community is to help other people / share information etc. I've been trying for almost a year to find out certain things on here (VOC) and over on VPCUK and there always comes a point when someone pulls the thread or locks it etc. It's bloody annoying especially when all I am doing is figuring out whats the best way to proceed with my car. Finally we have somewhere on http://www.T5D5.org where we can ask whatever we like & get undiluted opinions from Volvo owners about where to go, where not to go, what upgrade worked & more importantly what upgrade didn't work etc.

The case of Chris and his VT hybrid going bang doesn't seem to exist over on the VPCUK forums. You'd think it never happened. Surely things like this should be highlighted on an owners forum. If the tuners want to add to the discussion to say why it was a one off, or the reason why it wasn't their fault etc then even better. At least that way new members & those starting to upgrade can make informed choices. At the moment it's just crazy.

This forum hasn't exactly helped either. By banning VT this place has become part of the same problem. They should be allowed to put their side should anyone make comments about them. Agreed that the whole SW / VT warring posts made by the same people were getting damn annoying, but this site is supposed to be for the members so we can see what's really going on out there.

Last edited by carpy; Sep 16th, 2007 at 20:47.
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 20:57   #30
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

From what little I have read about performance tweaking of cars (Volvo's in this case.. ) it is very dependant on the car being tuned/tweaked.
No two cars are going to be exactly the same.

Different methodologies of tweaking said cars will also give different results.
So an MTE map and a RICA upgrade, while both giving improved performance, will be different.

SO which is "better"? Given the above comments about the secretive nature of what happens for each method, where else do people have to find out?
Here of course. Unless said tuners decide to use what can only be described as underhanded tactics to stifle this information and other people finding out about it.
Sorry, but if I say that on my car an MTE was crap and have the data to prove it, I'll post it. If I go to a place like volvo performance tuning and get crap service - I'll say so.
That is MY liability. As per terms on this forum that I accepted - I accept responsibility for those comments I make.
Be advised though, it maybe the an MTE on another car is fab... Or another garage is better. etc.. But we should know about both the good and bad...

An openness to this would be a much better way of working. Each tuner does have something to offer (depending on the car you have - well most do as there are some to be avoided at all costs I hear) and openness will help people identify the right place, people and methodology for their needs, budget and car.

So..... More openness please, and can our forum please advise of those commercial agents/companies who threaten the forum so that we can "Avoid Like Plague"...

And also, any claims made by commercial tuners etc need to to be backed up with some form of proof - preferably independent.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Sep 16th, 2007 at 23:22. Reason: My Bad Typing!
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote