Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Volvo owner with a fixer upper - seeking pointers

Views : 2111

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2018, 11:05   #11
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Couple of pointers from me:

1) your sparks look bad. I would replace them whenever you can. Defo doesnt look like 15k ones and especially if you have "NGK" on receipt. My guess - garage bought 5 wrong NGK plugs, tried them on the car, car was working like s**t (T5 HATES wrong plugs) and put the OEM volvo back on. Plugs on our cars are hard to get as aftermarket ones (Bosch makes the OEM ones so that is the only direct replacement) and a lot of people have issues when replacing to "apparently correct" ones, either with spec or gap size or both. So either look for Bosch replacement or get set of OEM on ebay/Elk (seen them for 70euros). Set should last you for 60k atleast as those are long-life.

2) your air filter looks terrible (I expect a bid "ye, Duuh!" now :P)

3) USB+AUX is a really weird thing on your car, actually. 2005 version DID NOT have USB+AUX in any version, shape or form. Not until FL model 2008 when Volvo started making it optional. If you dig in the threads about our audio system, you will find out how weird and difficult it is (as for fiddling with it ) due to MOST fiber optic connections. Simply speaking - there are almost no options for upgrade/exchange/update of it once its in the car, except for 2 aftermarket systems (600e, give or take). Assuming you have standard dash and normal Volvo system, USB and AUX are most likely from FL version so I reckon you may have upgraded interior by previous owner (central console from 2008 model). Seen few ppl doing it. In the same time, those connections will not be active, ever, and maybe USB is only wired to charge the phone.

Have pics of interior, maybe?

4) Polestar badge - fingers crossed its actual factory upgrade, not only sticker, but you will be able to verify it in dealership. I am not familiar with polestar tune itself, but on most Stage1 tunes, the most noticeable thing is that car pulls much further than OEM spec RPM curve. On standard T5 the max torque is up until 5200rpm and after that it dulls down. After my remap I noticed car pulls like a choo choo until around 6500RPM.

What tyres (size & spec) that car sits on, btw? hard to judge from the pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 13:09   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

ditto on the plugs
gen volvo and pop those in the bin with the air filter,,, done
air filter = oiled filters + volvos = generally run like crap and end up taking out the maf
stock type paper filter (not expensive even @ gen parts prices)

mis fires and rough running are Very very common when non gen plugs are in a volvo , Even more so with a T engine,, yes bosch make the plugs For volvo TO volvo's own spec and yes Bosch own brand ones say "compatible" with T engines, but they are "next best match" Not 100% spot on like the made for volvo ones and run like a spanner in a spin dryer really,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 13:25   #13
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
ditto on the plugs
gen volvo and pop those in the bin with the air filter,,, done
air filter = oiled filters + volvos = generally run like crap and end up taking out the maf
stock type paper filter (not expensive even @ gen parts prices)

mis fires and rough running are Very very common when non gen plugs are in a volvo , Even more so with a T engine,, yes bosch make the plugs For volvo TO volvo's own spec and yes Bosch own brand ones say "compatible" with T engines, but they are "next best match" Not 100% spot on like the made for volvo ones and run like a spanner in a spin dryer really,
Agreed - with genuine Volvo kit you can be sure of 100% compatibility.
Plus, for the price of genuine kit you can get online why would anyone even bother getting aftermarket ones?
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 14:35   #14
dovado3gn
DOVADO3GN

Welcome to the forum and Volvo addiction buddy :P Rare to see another T5 AWD owner around hehe. I have a 2005 V50 T5 AWD aswell, but Automatic. Had it for abit over a year now, and im in love with it.

For spark plugs, I just recently replaced mine. Got Bosch 0 242 236 528, 5 units. They were already gapped from Bosch factory to Volvo spec. I did re check the gap with feeler gauge and they were all spot on. The ones i pulled out were Bosch units aswell, but platinum, not the original Iridium units that comes with the car from Factory. After installing the new bosch plugs, my car ran like new basically. No rought idle or anything. Drives like new. No missfire what so ever. I got all 5 plugs for 44€ including 24h shipping which was 4.99€. Some people say only go for OEM plugs, but these ones from Bosch performs just as good. And ive driven another T5 with Genuine plugs and there is 0 difference in performance and/or noise. So if you want to spend extra in buying Genuine, no problem. But they will perform as good as Bosch units, and will last as long as they are also Itidium like Genuine. They are badically genuine but with Bosch logo and it will save you money aswell.

Congrats on your new car, hope you will love it as much as i do :P
dovado3gn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dovado3gn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 21:25   #15
UltE

(Sorry for the slow reply; work)

Thanks everyone for abundantly more input and thoughts.

Through paranoia and to be future proof I'll do a compression test asap and gear up for a head off and all that goes with it. It does miss a tiny bit on start up which goes after a few seconds, not losing coolant though. Maybe plugs (they're certainly not helping. Air filter is dire so as said, a decent gen service set will improve things no matter what.

Being sold as suspect head gasket failure, but blowing oily smoke which has now gone, I'm no further forward really

Tyres are 205/50/17s, v5 says it's a T5 SE AWD, but sadly polestar says no. Always a bit disheartening to find past owners have been faffing with the car by adding fake badges and what knot. But still a t5 awd for not too much money (750) so I'm okay with that at this point. And though at the moment it feels like 220hp, I was surprised by the top end pull in that I feel a kind of 30% additional surge around 5k rpm onwards, not pushed past the red line though incase the gasket is fooked. Maybe chipped, wouldn't mind doing that though if not anyway.

Interior, no mode button on the face of the stereo so it's just a premium system for 2005, the usb does have power but as suggested, the centre console at least has been changed it would seem for a later one with the leads. Not a big issue as my old Nokia n8 still works well as an mp3 player with radio broadcast.

The seats are a bit worn so I was thinking to get another set anyway. Otherwise a compression test, service items and possibly (depending on test results) a top end refurb.

So there we go. Thanks for helping me solve the radio wonderment and pointers on plugs, gasket tests and your thoughts on ownership of the cars. This is my first Volvo so fingers crossed it serves me well
UltE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltE For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 21:52   #16
FunkyMelon
Master Member

If it is head gasket you won't notice a loss in coolant while it's very minor, you only need a drop or two down the cylinder wall to cause a misfire.

If you end up taking the head off make sure you shim the liners.

When Volvo increased the bore size in the old high pressure turbo T5 from 2.3 to 2.5 the cylinder walls got thinner, though not hugely common they can split even on a standard block. It's just a thin sheet of metal wedged between the liners that reinforces them.

Focus ST/RS chaps like to refer to it as the block mod. Definitely worth doing if you split it apart.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:44   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltE View Post
So there we go. Thanks for helping me solve the radio wonderment and pointers on plugs, gasket tests and your thoughts on ownership of the cars. This is my first Volvo so fingers crossed it serves me well
Wow, you really got it for nothing, although I get it it was technically a body with engine "gone". Almost like a barn find :}

205/50/17's are standard, allright, thought those look weird but it must have been only from photo. Pity with polestar badge but you can still tune it to nice 250-260 by independent tuner and enjoy more power. You are looking ion 400-500GBP territory, but well worth it once car is 100%. If you feel the surge over 5k it may or may not mean its already tuned, its hard to describe specifically, car WILL go to red line no problem if not tuned, its just you feel that over 5k its basically more pointless than shifting to another gear. If car actually pulls to redline with constant torque so its more beneficial to go over 6k, its most likely some tune on it.

Forgot to mention 2 things AWD specific you should be aware of:
- suspension parts are hard to obtain as aftermarket one. Specifically - rear shocks and springs are not available as aftermarket from anywhere. You can go as close as 90% match but its not perfect (ask me how I know) and in general, you either gonna "patch" it a bit or you have to go 100% OEM to retain its oem factory suspension setup.
Also, AWD lowering kits (if you ever consider) are non existent outside of Heico tuning kits so unless you botch your setup in DYI way, forget about lowering it

- there are exactly 4 fluids that are "non replaceable" as per Volvo but usually require immediate reflush if you want to have your car happy and trouble free:
- gearbox oil
- rear differential oil
- angular gear oil
- haldex AOC oil + AOC filter
Volvo service will usually inform you those are "sealed for life" but are not. And on my car, after 98k miles, those look like gunk&mud and not oils. If/when you decide to go ahead with it, let me know, will point you to full list of parts, oil specs etc. All together it cost me around 200e (pats+labour) to have all done at one go at my indie shop. Well worth to prevent any AWD related future issue.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 23:36   #18
UltE

Thank you again everyone!

Also thank you lizardofbordom for reassuring me that I didn't pay over the odds for the car and highlighting the suspension and all wheel drive gubbins that I'll need to keep in order.

When cleaning the car the other day I found an ominous switch located behind the waterfall facia. After a multimeter check and some pondering I tried plugging my phone into the 3.5mm Jack in the centre console and learnt that it's an overide for the audio for aux input. Interesting and pleasing to discover.

I've been driving the car more now. Still zero visible smoke thankfully. I can't figure out the uneasy feeling i have with the suspension over bumps. Is it just me being used to my previous car (lexus) or is there something worn out I wonder. No real knocks or clunks exactly but feels so harsh on heavier impact bumps in the road. Same on the back when too, feels harsh and uncushioned. ...mmm ought to get under it and check trailing arms or shafts come to think of it. Might just be me adjusting to a focus chassis with some good miles though.

Anyway, love the engine of course. All in all I think it flattens at higher revs to make me think it's not chipped. Great torque though, even in 6th at 1k rpm it pulls like as though it were in third. I'd like to remove the air filter housing and reposition the ecu for more space and less heat on the ecu (ecm?), with better cold air feed but it's a bit of a costly change to make it seems with elevate kits and what knot. I'd want all the original bits intact too to return to factory spec at any time.

Not sure yet on price etc but I don't need the boot liner/protector in the back. You know, the big old black rubbery tray. It's a proper V50 Volvo extra that I've no need for, just incase anyone is after one otherwise I'll pop it on eBay soon.

Compression tester should arrive soon, then a regular service sooner and a specific service later on the diff and gearbox etc. Need to keep this car in good running order

Thanks again everyone!
UltE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltE For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 11:00   #19
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltE View Post
When cleaning the car the other day I found an ominous switch located behind the waterfall facia. After a multimeter check and some pondering I tried plugging my phone into the 3.5mm Jack in the centre console and learnt that it's an overide for the audio for aux input. Interesting and pleasing to discover.

Ok, now it has become even more interesting. Obviously your car was used by an enthusiast (list of all interior mods you mentioned) so that is yet another aftermarket or DYI contraption to go around stupidly restricted stock audio. Can you try to find more about it, see where it goes (must be connected to some kind of an aftermarket box) and say more about audio quality etc? Just from description it looks to me it is some kind of wired FM transmitter piggybacked to the antennae of the radio (when switching the switch it basically overrides your FM antenna), am I right? Also, it may happen you have bluetooth aswell as some of those kits have it - did you try to search for active BT device with your phone?

As for "harsh" ride- its possible nothing is actually wrong, but you being used to Lexus now finds yourself on a different chassis and suspension type so maybe its only subjective? Also possible that previous owner fiddled with suspension already (are you able to see if those are VOLVO ones or some aftermarke?) and fitted for example rear shocks from FWD version. Those will fit but will result in a very "hard" impact on bumps, due do different travel lenght and compression. You can feel the dampening difference between OEM fronts and aftermarket rears (again - ask me how I know :P).
Its a pity you cant get some history from previous owner - especially if he was a volvo fan (and it looks like) he may have done other mods you are not aware of, and with such cars its always better to know.

As for moving the ECU and installing cone filter- well, to be honest, it is debatable as for its sensibility. Our US friends did a lot of such mods and generally except for change of sound you are not gaining much. Our stock air filter is rated to well over 260HP so if you are hoping for HP gain just from cone - you may be unplesantly surprised (as for cost vs gains). Then, it doesnt really make sense to move ECU as it wont be in anything's way. But thats up to you, read about it and decide.

And you are right as for torque on pull - our car is brilliant as for gear spacing and low-end pull. Never driven a car before that allows me to safely overtake on 6th and where 6th gear is actually a pulling gear, not just overdrive. A great pleasure to drive, whoever ordered T5 with geartronic I think missed a lot.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 13:05   #20
iainmd

"typing on my phone so bare with me"

I'll politely decline your invitation to undress ;-) I will gladly bear with you though :-)

I know Clan reckons T5s don't have undertrays but mine certainly did from the factory.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: