Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with locking wheel bolt

Views : 2569

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:21   #1
Garett

Default Problem with locking wheel bolt

Hi guys, I've posted this on another forum so some of you might have seen it already.

I was cleaning my car in this lovely weather we've been having and I decided it'd be a good idea to take the wheels off and give the wheels and arches a proper clean. When I tried to take off the front OS wheel they were done up bloody tight, far far too tight. When it came to getting the locker off, the key slipped so I thought I'd take it to my tyre man who has an impact gun, he might have more success. Not to be, he had similarly bad luck and now the key is buggered.

What are my options? I spoke to the garage across the road from the tyre place who said they had the same problem on another Volvo a couple of months ago and he had to weld a nut onto the bolt to get it off. This would be at least an hours labour, maybe 2.

Would Volvo have a master key?

I believe I can get a replacement from McGard or Volvo but I need the key code, of which there is no record in the cars paperwork.

As far as I can tell there is no room between the outside of the bolt and the wheel to get a socket in.

This is the actual wheel bolt, its on a 2001 S60.
Garett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:38   #2
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Another pain caused by "Gorillas" showing what big men they are by completely overtightening components. Sad.

I can't find the post, but someone had this problem not too long ago, and by sending the photo to McGuard, they were able to send out another socket.

Anyone remember where the post is?

Many other ways. One is to use a Dremel and mark out and cut/grind faces on what's left to get a normal socket onto it.

You MIGHT be able to drill the bulk of it out. But you'll need some good brand drills and maybe a few of them.

Other than that, I would carefully spot weld the existing damaged socket to the nut and it will come off complete with the wheelnut. You'll need new ones afterwards

Let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:09   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I beleive there are only a few variations, and dealers have them all (though they may not admit it ...). I had a problem once (puncture and missing key), popped into a dealer and they whipped it off for me.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:10   #4
strawberrys40

Not a lot pf help here but to sympathise I have the same nuts or similar on my car and I am not using them for the this very reason

Good luck.
strawberrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:33   #5
Garett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
I beleive there are only a few variations, and dealers have them all (though they may not admit it ...). I had a problem once (puncture and missing key), popped into a dealer and they whipped it off for me.
I just spoke to my local Volvo dealer which is Doves in Blackburn, they said they can get Volvo to send them a master set of keys and they'll take them off for me for £50 + VAT. Seems reasonable.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:53   #6
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett View Post
I just spoke to my local Volvo dealer which is Doves in Blackburn, they said they can get Volvo to send them a master set of keys and they'll take them off for me for £50 + VAT. Seems reasonable.
On the other hand the original selling dealer may have the code after which you can order a replacement key for 18 euros at www.wheellockkeys.com/volvo
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:33   #7
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Found the post regarding contacting McGuard.

Here it is:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...mcguard&page=2

Hope it helps.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:52   #8
pdrvolvo
Master Member

If you manage too get the nuts off do yourself a favour and bin em.The Mc Gaurd type locking nuts are the worst design on the market bar NONE.They can cause you an awful lot of grief.I speak from bitter experience.

peter.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 13:55   #9
Master Member

Having recently found a set of Volvo alloys for my winter tyres I've been reading these threads about locking wheel nuts with increasing alarm

I've come to the conclusion that, with reasonable treatment, they work ok, but that it is essential to torque them no more and preferably quite a bit less than the other bolts

And that if the key or bolts start to show signs of wear it's time to replace them

And, essential, you have a set of 4 standard nuts so that if your car goes anywhere near a tyre depot/garage you remove the locking nuts yourself first and replace them when the car comes back

It's also important to have a torque wrench so that you know within a reasonable margin what you are doing. You can get one without spending the earth and you should avoid using it to undo wheel nuts
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 13:55   #10
Garett

Well on closer inspection the other 3 wheels have the same key but the one I am having trouble with has a different key. There is also a damaged bolt in with the wheel brace which looks to be the original off the odd wheel. So to me that says that a previous owner has had the same problem but replaced the damaged one with another locker! Error!

I already have 4 normal bolts to replace the locking ones, that was part of my plan when I set about trying to take the wheels off as I'd read about other peoples headaches on the same subject.

Thanks for the link I'll have a read.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garett For This Useful Post: