Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with locking wheel bolt

Views : 2557

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 17:04   #11
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett View Post
Well on closer inspection the other 3 wheels have the same key but the one I am having trouble with has a different key. There is also a damaged bolt in with the wheel brace which looks to be the original off the odd wheel. So to me that says that a previous owner has had the same problem but replaced the damaged one with another locker! Error!
Don't you just wonder about some folk!
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 19:08   #12
GMad
Premier Member

Try an old socket that's a little too small to go over the lockib nut and hammer it on!
This usually works and if it does? Do the same with the other three and chuck them in the bin, then replace them with standard nuts.
Tis one of the first jobs I do on all cars I own/have owned for a while and saves the hassle of being stuck in the future..
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 20:05   #13
friedfrog
Global Warmer

I've had this problem with my last S70, my brother in law has had the same problem too.

We took ours to ATS, £5.00 for them to get it off. Bought a replacement nut (non locking) from the scrappers for a quid.

Try ATS before shelling out for a master key etc.

Atheism; A not for prophet organisation.
friedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 20:15   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
On the other hand the original selling dealer may have the code after which you can order a replacement key for 18 euros at www.wheellockkeys.com/volvo
Thats a bargain , bite their hand off for that !
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 20:26   #15
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Try an old socket that's a little too small to go over the lockib nut and hammer it on!
This usually works
and if it does? Do the same with the other three and chuck them in the bin, then replace them with standard nuts.
Tis one of the first jobs I do on all cars I own/have owned for a while and saves the hassle of being stuck in the future..
Not with these! They have a spinning steel collar to prevent just that.

Totally agree about binning them as they are the most consistentl parcel of crap on the market

Last edited by S60D5-185; Mar 25th, 2011 at 20:29.
S60D5-185 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 20:32   #16
yorkiet5w

Looks like i i don't have the locking wheel nut key for my car, just bought it. And mine are the same as yours. I know you can buy an "easy off" tool that fits over it and should grip in enough to get it off. Im going to try an old socket that will just go over it and a big hammer approach !
yorkiet5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 20:36   #17
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Not with these! They have a spinning steel collar to prevent just that.

Totally agree about binning them as they are the most consistentl parcel of crap on the market
Really? That looks remarkably similar to the (non spinning collar type) I removed and binned on both my old V70 and current S60.
No matter if it has a spinning collar, the way around that is, cold chisel the collar off (easier than it sounds) and then do similar to my original description with a smaller old socket. Simples..
Also works 99.9% of the time.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 21:35   #18
spanishsteve

Hi, I have the same problem. I have been looking at some of the threads and it appears quite common. Halfords and Screwfix both do a kit for approx £15 and £20 respectively which is a reverse thread type of socket which you use with an impact driver. I'm going to wait until I get some replacement normal wheel nuts before I buy one of the kits to try and get them off. Another option is to hammer on a socket over the top and try and get it off. Let me know howbyou getb them off and how much, if you dont mind.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 22:57   #19
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Really? That looks remarkably similar to the (non spinning collar type) I removed and binned on both my old V70 and current S60.
No matter if it has a spinning collar, the way around that is, cold chisel the collar off (easier than it sounds) and then do similar to my original description with a smaller old socket. Simples..
Also works 99.9% of the time.
Exactly what I have done, twice... The outer collar chisels off and then an impact socket (an ordinary one will shatter) hammered over, does the job.

Bin the f*&$^%g lot of them and just use normal nuts or bolts. Do people really still steal wheels???!!!! These days, they just take the car
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 22:05   #20
Garett

Problem now sorted for anyone who gives a shiny one!

3 of the bolts were the same, all McGard and 1 was a newer McGard, this was the tricky one.

ALL 4 of the locking wheel nuts had been over tightened to such a degree that the key just disintegrated, so I saw little point in getting Volvo to use their 'master set' (probably really just a random assortment off odd ones!) as they would more than likely break too, same with sending a photo and the old key back to McGard in Germany for a replacement on warranty.

The 3 older ones were small enough to get a locking wheel nut removal tool on them and with some serious hammering, a large bar and brute strength they were free.
The other was a little more tricky, as there was no room between the bolt and wheel to fit a larger socket or otherwise. They welded a nut on and tried to undo it with a scaff bar which apparently bent! So they drilled the head off, going through several drill bits in the process to remove the wheel and welded another bolt on eventually freeing it. All that took about an hour so ~£50 on labour.

All replaced with OE Volvo non locking wheel bolts.

If you have McGard locking wheel bolts on your car make sure they never ever get tightened more than just 'nipped up' or remove them and dispose of them immediately to save yourself the aggro!
Garett is offline   Reply With Quote