Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Metallic "clank" when changing the gear

Views : 2809

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 12:49   #1
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Default Metallic "clank" when changing the gear

Hi all
I am trying to track down the issue that annoys me recently (due to recent weather I drive much more with all windows open). When changing the gear I hear metallic "clank" from the outside of the car, obviously coming from gearbox/clutch side, but noticeable mostly from outside.
Its like this:

1st gear accelerating
depress clutch (clank)
gear change to 2nd (clank)
release clutch (clank, clank)

repeat on 2nd, 3rd etc. Noticeable mostly when driving slowly and accelerating gently without much torque.

I also hear "clank" when depressing and releasing clutch without gear change, while driving on any gear.

Funny thing is, I had the same issue on my old S40 for 6 years, and on this car since last year when bought, just normally you dont hear it too much when driving with windows up.

any ideas please?
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 07:19   #2
Rusty1

I have a similar noise on my C30 D2 (78k miles). I've had the car from new and remember it starting to make the noise fairly early on. At that time I put it down to backlash being taken up in the drivetrain with each use of the clutch but I suspect that the DMF is contributing as well. Even when new a DMF has a certain amount of play designed into it and it will rock backwards and forwards with each gearchange.

As with yours it's most obvious when changing from 1st to 2nd, less so from 2nd to 3rd and after that I don't hear it (I haven't tried depressing the clutch without changing gear). I'm not worrying about it at the moment, if it is the DMF starting to complain the noise isn't bad enough for me to do anything yet.
Rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 08:25   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Do you get the noises if you lift on/off throttle at say 3000 rpm in second without pressing the clutch? If so search for axle ping (I.e. Driveshaft bolts)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 19:48   #4
thats not gone wel

Quote:
Do you get the noises if you lift on/off throttle at say 3000 rpm in second without pressing the clutch? If so search for axle ping (I.e. Driveshaft bolts)
whats the fix for this? I've seen somewhere about XC90 bolts being used as replacements but I'm not sure if they fit 100%

cheers
Previous: 03 Volvo S40 Sport Lux
thats not gone wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 10:01   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thats not gone wel View Post
whats the fix for this? I've seen somewhere about XC90 bolts being used as replacements but I'm not sure if they fit 100%

cheers
Buy genuine new bolts and torque them down correctly. The axle ping issue is known on P2 based models - not sure how much of an issue it is on the Ford based cars though but his symptoms sounded alike.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 11:50   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
No, in my case it seem to be related only to clutch & gearshift movement. Never noticed it otherwise.

Rusty1 - heh, once you mentioned it, the only common denominator with by V50 and old S40 was DMF... Maybe its just "the way it is" with loose/old DMF?...
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 14:11   #7
Welton
Premier Member

Mine does this and weirdly more noticeable with the air-con running (although this might relate more to the heat of the gearbox oil in general).

Sounds a lot like the driveline 'shunt' you used to get on old RWD cars - it's a bit like a "ker-thunk" kinda noise. You can recreate the noise by coasting along with the clutch depressed and work through the gearbox without releasing the clutch - each gear will give this ker-thunk noise.

I've had the gearbox oil changed THREE times aswell.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 14:53   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Mine does this and weirdly more noticeable with the air-con running (although this might relate more to the heat of the gearbox oil in general).

Sounds a lot like the driveline 'shunt' you used to get on old RWD cars - it's a bit like a "ker-thunk" kinda noise. You can recreate the noise by coasting along with the clutch depressed and work through the gearbox without releasing the clutch - each gear will give this ker-thunk noise.

I've had the gearbox oil changed THREE times aswell.
+1 for having "clunk" when changing gears with clutch depressed, noticed it myself! But do you say that initial "clunk" related to pressing clutch without even touching the gearbox is related to the same issue or is it separate noise? I always wondered if one is related to clutch plates engaging/disengaging and another to simply worn out gear lever connectors or something...

Also confirm that sound did not change after changing gbx oil. Seem not related at all.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 17:02   #9
Nick Warwick

I have the ping issue on my V50 D5, does anyone have a link to the correct bolts?

Cheers
Nick Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 10:25   #10
LizardOfBodom

Gonna reply to myself as I am digging trough a lot of information recently, and come across this info below. Then it occured me that is actualy the very issue I am having and fingers crossed - maybe can be cured with this upgrade.

(Long story short - I need to replace the under battery engine mount as its shot, but instead of using 2005 rubber model I will go for updated hydraulic kit as recommended by our US friends. Reading about it in the volvo bulletin also points out that this update MAY cure side effects like that pesky clunking noise. I will update this hopefully in September when all parts are replaced and I can say if it worked so stay tuned)

Volvo bulletin below:

------------------------------------------------

NOTE! THIS DOCUMENT SUPERSEDES THE PREVIOUS RETAILER TECHINCAL
JOURNAL 16762, DATED 01-31-2008. TJ 16762 and previous TNN 40-05 have been split
up into four different documents categorized by their proper function group. PLEASE
UPDATE YOUR FILES.
AFFECTED VEHICLES:
Model Type Model year Chassis range
S40 544 2004 - - 190213
V50 545 2005 - - 194445
* At the time of this writing
DESCRIPTION:
S40 & V50 customers may complain of a clunking noise during shifting or when applying and
releasing the accelerator pedal. It is especially noticeable on cars with manual transmissions
during low speed driving and when making a 1-2 shift. The customer may also complain of a
slight vibration through the floor or seat at low engine RPMs (approx 1800-2000).

MATERIAL:
Description Quantity Part Number
LH Engine Mount Kit (includes hydraulic mount, bracket & bolt):
M56: 1 30778930
AW55: 1 30778931
M66 (includes hydraulic mount, bracket, bolt, and intermediate lever): 1 30778932