Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Issue caused by Volvo workmanship..

Views : 1740

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 22:10   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonnmeister View Post
I am not particularly impressed with them to be honest. I will call them tomorrow and ask about the resistor tool, I am beginning to suspect it could be the clockspring on the SAS having an intermittent connection to the airbag? I just dont understand why it doesnt come on again straight away, if there was an issue with the airbag it would surely flag it up almost instantly?
you are right , but the test resistor is the definitive test , the car will need to be driven over 20 miles to test it of course
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 22:17   #12
thedonnmeister

well thank you very much for your help Clan, I will take it up with them tomorrow. I reckon I may have the two dealers batting off each other, whilst it is probably just a loose connection at the the back of the airbag/SAS, if they reckon it needs replacing and will pay for it... well crack on!
thedonnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 16:04   #13
thedonnmeister

They are claiming that there is no resistor tool, it is just the diagnostics they do.

However, I'm now going down the sales of goods act as it happened within a few weeks of me collecting the car (from Volvo dealer with Volvo warranty).
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 16:41   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
They are claiming that there is no resistor tool, it is just the diagnostics they do.

However, I'm now going down the sales of goods act as it happened within a few weeks of me collecting the car (from Volvo dealer with Volvo warranty).
what year is your car ? I have assumed later than 2004
Why did they change the steering angle sensor ?
does the SRS light stay on once it triggers ?
The code can be intermittent or permanent , it will be shown in the code readout which it is , all the fault tracing is listed under a link in the fault code list .

Here is a picture of the test tool , show it to them ! They are a volvo approved workshop I take it ?
The code indicates a problem with the CAPACITANCE of the circuit , Is it the correct Steering angle sensor ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRS test resistor.jpg (47.2 KB, 35 views)
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 18:58   #15
thedonnmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what year is your car ? I have assumed later than 2004
Why did they change the steering angle sensor ?
does the SRS light stay on once it triggers ?
The code can be intermittent or permanent , it will be shown in the code readout which it is , all the fault tracing is listed under a link in the fault code list .

Here is a picture of the test tool , show it to them ! They are a volvo approved workshop I take it ?
The code indicates a problem with the CAPACITANCE of the circuit , Is it the correct Steering angle sensor ?
My XC90 is 2010 60 plate D5 Polestar. I had the anti skid warning come up and the steering angle sensor was the culprit. The SRS light stays on once the warning has come up, but that is normally after a few miles of driving, the reset it yesterday and it hasnt come back yet, but its only driven 11 miles.

The code says intermittent on the code printout.

This is place is a full fat Volvo service centre....
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 20:05   #16
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Which dealer is this out of interest?
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 20:23   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
My XC90 is 2010 60 plate D5 Polestar. I had the anti skid warning come up and the steering angle sensor was the culprit. The SRS light stays on once the warning has come up, but that is normally after a few miles of driving, the reset it yesterday and it hasnt come back yet, but its only driven 11 miles.

The code says intermittent on the code printout.

This is place is a full fat Volvo service centre....
the only way to check if it is the air bag or the car is to do about 50 miles with the test resistor on instead of the air bag .
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 20:42   #18
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Which dealer is this out of interest?
if / when this is concluded however it gets to there, then publishing "who" the dealer/dealers are would help others,, publishing it while its an ongoing "thing" may hurt the chap's chances of an acceptable solution.

(IF they broke it, they fix it FOC , IF its just sheer bad luck ,,, different kettle of strawberries)
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 21:16   #19
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if / when this is concluded however it gets to there, then publishing "who" the dealer/dealers are would help others,, publishing it while its an ongoing "thing" may hurt the chap's chances of an acceptable solution.

(IF they broke it, they fix it FOC , IF its just sheer bad luck ,,, different kettle of strawberries)
I'm afraid volvo dealers do not think like that.
Put my car in for a fixed price brake fluid change, dealers managed to snap both rear bleed nipples, expected me to buy new calipers at £105 + vat each.

One I reserected the other I replaced with a factor part for £70.
I now change the brake fluid myself and grease the nipples every time.

Car in for service and oil pump gasket leaking, to fit new sump had to come off, to get sump off power steering pipes had to be disconnected. They snapped a union in the rack, I had to buy new rack and pipes, they graciously did not charge me labour to fit the rack. That added £200 to the bill.

They break it and then claim new part improves the car and with over 100k on it who can argue.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 22:00   #20
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

That’s outrageous, if you bump your car into someone else’s you don’t expect them to foot the bill. Your insurance repairs it ect. Imagine charging the person you hit because the new door the car needs improves the look of the car...... how does that make sense!

These dealers take the ****,and they have you by the balls and they know it. They break it they sort it. You don’t pay Volvo labour for a half arsed Job.

I’ve worked in workshops for a while not in the motor industry and yeah **** happens but you put it down to experience and make it right for the customer normally without them even knowing and move on.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post: