Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power while driving

Views : 7885

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 19:09   #1
dundonald

Default Loss of power while driving

I've got a 2005 XC90 Executive that I've owned for six months with no problems until now.

I was driving at about 50mph when the acceleration started jumping erratically, as if changing quickly between 3rd and 4th. Then the car stalled and I had to pull over rather dangerously. All the warning lights came on. The ignition re-started and I managed to drive home with the acceleration jumping furiously on the way up hills but remaining calm and normal on the flat and down hills.

I got home and called the AA who inspected it, checked the computer but found nothing wrong. It drove perfectly normally.

Two weeks later a similar thing happened again, this time on a motorway. Acceleration felt weird and bumpy so I slowed down and then suddenly it stalled and I had to pull over. This time it wouldn't re-start. I was towed to a service station, the battery was recharged and the car started straight away and drove with no problems.

The AA again found no faults. He suggested it could either be the fuel pump, or something to do with fuel pressure, or a computer problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?
dundonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 21:23   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I have not experienced this myself, but would be 100% sure that VIDA would be able to retrieve errors pertaining to your problem if hooked up.

Its worth getting a good independant with the kit or a main dealer to pull the codes for you...

Sorry that is not the answer you are looking for, but the AA man will probably only have limited generic diags and not the dealer level stuff that will 99% likley answer your problem.

If VIDA does not give the actual failure, it will certainly record several clues that will help diagnose the issue.

If you do get VIDA to pull codes, its worth getting all errors reset as VIDA will in future show you how many occurences of any errors there have been, so if you know you start from zero now...

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 23:03   #3
400-ascona
Premier Member

Is it a D5? Sometimes its as simple as the diesel fuel filter. Not sure what the issue is, but my brother has had similar problems.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:48   #4
adonis kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Is it a D5? Sometimes its as simple as the diesel fuel filter. Not sure what the issue is, but my brother has had similar problems.
I had exactly the same symptoms on an old Vitara of mine. Turns out it was the fuel filter. Maybe cheap enough just to quickly replace as a precaution. Hope this helps, Richard
adonis kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adonis kebab For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 15:59   #5
Bertie A
Bertie A

Default XC 90 D5 loss of power

I have a similar intermittent problem, at motorway speeds only. No stalling as yet, but the car won't accelerate. Yellow triangle and "engine Service Required" appears. At constant throttle it recovers itself after a minute or two, and switching off momentarily seems also to recover it, but that's not a completely sensible solution. It would therefore seem likely, or at least possible, to be one of the sensors in the engine management system. Has anyone else had this and got to the bottom of it, please?
Bertie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 20:05   #6
lesk

had avery similar experience with my 54plate, d5, changed fuel filter which needs you to exert more force than you think reasonableonto the plastic housin and problem appears solved.

les
lesk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lesk For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 17:33   #7
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

There's also a hose to / from the Turbo that is known to leak and / or get blocked causign simialr symptoms - sorry I don't know which particular hose it is, as it has never happened to me, but I overheard another XC90 owner talking about the problem a few weeks ago.
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:47   #8
chf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie A View Post
I have a similar intermittent problem, at motorway speeds only. No stalling as yet, but the car won't accelerate. Yellow triangle and "engine Service Required" appears. At constant throttle it recovers itself after a minute or two, and switching off momentarily seems also to recover it, but that's not a completely sensible solution. It would therefore seem likely, or at least possible, to be one of the sensors in the engine management system. Has anyone else had this and got to the bottom of it, please?
The swirl valve was responsible for generating that error message on mine. Volvo replaced just the arm and not the entire valve. There is a separate post in this forum.
chf is offline   Reply With Quote