Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High emissions

Views : 3674

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 13:59   #11
B20F
Master Member

First I would check the lambda
That is the #1 suspect. If you need to change the lambda use an original Bosch, not another brand.
The cat doesn't do anything to the CO, it converts the NOx and SOx gasses, not the CO&CO2 so I don't think that would be the culprit. The lambda regulates the CO&CO2.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 20:07   #12
GTMaster

I thought it has a 3 way cat converter (will check service manual though), but as was mentioned/you said checking if the lamda sond is working properly is a good start.... (i believe there is a fault code for it as well, fault codes on this site somewhere...)
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:47   #13
pottypaula

Sorr yfor the delay in updating you. Not easy to fix cars with a 10 month old baby. Thanx for all your help so far. The spark pluga air filter have been changed. According to my Haynes manual my exhaust shouldnt have a cat but mine does! Will invest in a Lambda sensor. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge. Faults codes. What fault codes are these? Wasn't told about any when had the M.O.T done.
pottypaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:45   #14
B20F
Master Member

You can read out the faultcodes yourself from the small black diagnostic box on top of the left shocktower. All you need is a pencil and paper to note the codes while retrieving them. Put the probe in socket #2 and follow the instructions. After the read out reset the faultcodes and go for a drive for about 15minutes and repeat. If the same codes show up again you know what is wrong.

Last edited by B20F; Mar 1st, 2011 at 10:47.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:47   #15
pottypaula

Default Fault Code

The fault code is 313 charcoal absorption canister valve : signal faulty. This means nothin g to me. Tested the Lambda. Reading whilst waiting for the 5 mins was tween 0.1 and 0.7. After 5 mins it was 0.2 to 0.6. Take it I need a new Lambda? Thanx again for your help.

Last edited by pottypaula; Mar 6th, 2011 at 20:43.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:19   #16
B20F
Master Member

The charcoal cannister (evap system) is located low at the lhd side of the radiator when standing in front of the enginebay. Looks like a bigger sized beercan. It absorbs the fumes from the petrol tank and burnes them off if the engine is at operating temp which is controlled by a valve on top of the cannister. Code 313indicates this valve is faulty. The're 2 small hoses on top of the cannister. One runs to the intakemanifold and one comes from the petroltank. Take the hose off that runs to the intakemanifold and block the connector on the manifold to prevent it drawing false air. That way you dissable the evap system, the faultcode will stay though.
The Lambda is indeed not correct, think it's on it's way out. If you replace it be sure to use an original Bosch lambda. Other brands can cause problems!

Last edited by B20F; Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:40.
The Following User Says Thank You to B20F For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 13:17   #17
pottypaula

Default Confused

Thanx will sort that later. I am now even more confused. Reading the details with regards to my VIN number my engine is B18F. According to my owners manual its a B18E. And the tin plate on the engine makes it a B18EP. Is there a major difference? As the water pump and spark plugs I got are for the B18E.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 14:28   #18
B20F
Master Member

Plugs and pumps for the 400 series are all the same for the different engine types, so no need to worry.
Maybe a previous owner changed the engine? If the tinplate on the engine says B18EP it should have no cat&lambda, the B18FP is the same engine with cat&lambda. As far as I know the EP engine was never supplied to the UK, only to countries where the're was a poor supply or no supply at all of unleaded fuel at the time.

Last edited by B20F; Mar 7th, 2011 at 14:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to B20F For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 20:43   #19
GTMaster

The high CO was caused by the charcoal canister then. It has a magnetic valve on it which regulates the amount of HC gases to enter the manifold, seems the valve is always open. You can try to replace it or do as mentioned (should get it through the emissions test if blocked off).

Last edited by GTMaster; Mar 7th, 2011 at 20:46.
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTMaster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 18:17   #20
pottypaula

Latest update is . . . Have blocked charcoal canister and ordered a bosch lambda. Once its arrived I will put it through an MOT and let you know how I get on. Once again thanx for all your advice