Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cem

Views : 3909

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 01:48   #11
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Great photos, nice one!

Ok, looking at those everything looks very good and in order; no sign of water damage or burnt patches anyway.

The capacitor on the right hand side, with the white anti-vibration glue under it: is the top of it swollen? It's hard to tell from the photo, but a swollen top on a cap would indicate it's dried out.

That aside, I'd be carefully checking all the soldering on the underside for dry joints and I'd also check the contacts on the relays there for dull or burnt patches.

If all that checks out and you can't spot any obvious fault, re-assemble it and run TEST MODE, which will run down the inputs and outputs.

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/volv...m/selfdiagnose

If you are very careful, it's possible to run these tests with the top off the CEM and actually watch to see if the relays are clicking back and forth OK.

If you find the indicators are driven correctly in test mode, I'd suspect the switches, or as you've replaced them, the wiring and grounding running to them or the hazard switch unit.

If you find the indicators don't work correctly in test mode and the relays don't move, then the CEM is at fault.

If you find the indicators don't work correctly in test mode and the relays do move, then we are not any further forward!

Chris...
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:47   #12
ourwillie

Hi Chris thanks for all that well the top of the capacitor is not swollen,now was at the car this morning and when I could not work out the connection as in the self test I had a look at the cem working without the half cover and this is what I discovered. when I start up and switch on the indicators nothing happens,then switch off indicators and put on the hazzards and the relay works fine thats the second to the left from the capicator you mention also the next one to the left beside it the indicator opens at the same time i.e one lick. Then when I switch off the hazzards the indicator one closes again and when I try the indicators nothing happens. Then the wipers its the one on the top left next the bigger capicators when I select reverse the rear wiper comes on and the relay opens and closes when I de select reverse but nothing happens when I try the stock switch. So regarding the self test it mentions the blue and brown wire I take it thezse are part of one of the existing three looms that form the plugs into the cem? If so which one I can only find a solid blue and solid brown in one of the two smaller plugs not the big one. Do these wires have to be snap connected? I have attached two pictures of the loom plugs. Thanks The small plug I am referring to is the second of the pictures I also noted that these wires are all numbered on the plugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simon 020.jpg (170.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg simon 021.jpg (162.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by ourwillie; Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:49. Reason: additional explanation
ourwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 15:14   #13
TurboZutek
Premier Member

It's been, oof, 15 years or so since I last did this, but from memory if you follow the looms back there will be a single spade type connector sitting on its own about half way up. Just a little further and there's a female connector to match: hook these together (with the ignition off) and the unit should enter test mode.

Chris...
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 18:08   #14
glasgowjim

Default this is the cem3 test data.

Slow down Willie the information you have been given does not apply to the CEM 3 the version you have got .

This is the correct version for CEM3 it was on the 480 website but when the isp was changed over it was lost and the cem1/2 version is all there is .

CEM III has an integrated diagnostic system for fault tracing operations. The diagnostic system has 5 different test functions, namely:
· Function 1, Readout of faults stored in the memory.
· Function 2, Testing input signals.
· Function 3, Testing output signals.
· Function 4, Testing individual output signals.
· Function 5, Information concerning the data and status of the CEM.

Communication with the diagnostic system takes place with the aid of a diagnostic tester. This is located in the engine compartment on the turret of the left-hand MacPherson strut.

On the diagnostic tester there is a button, a lamp (LED) and a selector cable. When tracing faults on vehicles equipped with CEM III, the selector cable is inserted in position 5. The required test function is selected by pressing the button once, twice or three times, etc., for 0.5 seconds.

The data stored in the memory are indicated by a fault code which is formed by the flashing of the LED on the diagnostic tester. The code always consists of three consecutive series of flashes which together form a number consisting of three digits.

Each series of 1, 2, or 3 flashes, etc., arrives at 3-second intervals. This makes it easy to distinguish between each series (digit).

Note! The LED of the car alarm system also flashes.

In the event of failure of the battery voltage, the diagnostic data will be lost.

Test function 1 - Readout of faults stored in the memory.
The diagnostic system of the CEM continuously monitors its own functions. If a malfunction occurs in the system, this will be stored in the memory of the diagnostic system as a fault 27 different malfunctions can be identified and stored in the memory as fault codes. There is also a code (111 ) which indicates when there are no faults in the system. Test function 1 is activated by pressing the button once.

After the faults have been remedied and having done two readouts of the fault codes, the memory function can be erased. This is done as follows:
· Keep the button pressed in for at least 5 seconds and then release it.
· The diode lights up after 1.5 seconds.
· Depress the button one more time within 5 seconds and keep it pressed in for at least 5 seconds.
· A new readout of test function 1 should indicate flash code 111.

DTC table (function 1)
1-1-1 No faults stored
2-1-2 Car alarm disarmed
2-1-3 * Central locking system
2-1-5 Rear window heating, input
2-1-6 Driver's window open, input
2-2-7 Car alarm armed
2-5-1 Driver's window closed
4-1-1 Seat belt warning
4-1-2 * Status output (alarm)
4-1-4 Door open, output
4-1-5 Interior light
4-3-2 Central locking system, closed
4-3-3 Central locking system, open
4-3-4 Windows + sun roof, operation
4-3-5 Driver's window open, output
4-4-1 Windows and sun roof, closed
4-4-3 Rear window heating
4-4-4 Windscreen wiper, output
4-4-5 Headlight washer
4-5-1 Rear window wiper
4-5-2 Start interlock
4-5-3 * LED, central locking
4-5-4 Direction indicator switch
4-5-5 Auxiliary driving lights, output
* market-dependent

Test Function 2 - Testing input signals.
With test function 2 all the Input signals of the CEM can be tested. By 'trying' a switch oneself a flash code is given by the LED of the car alarm system and the LED on the diagnostic tester, indicating that a signal is entering the CEM.

If no flash code is given, this indicates a faulty connection.

Test function 2 is activated by pressing the button twice. The LED will now flash and various functions can be 'tried'. Test function 2 is ended by selecting another test function.

After test function 2 has been selected, in the above example we lock the driver's door with the key. A microswitch incorporated in the lock then transmits a signal to the CEM instructing it, for example, to arm the car alarm system. When the CEM receives the signal from the microswitch, it transmits a flash code to the diagnostic tester, in this case 227.

When the door is unlocked with the key, the CEM receives a different signal from the microswitch. The CEM will now give code 212. In this way about 30 switches, or input signals, of the CEM can be tested.
Testing input signals (function 2)
1-1-1 No faults stored
2-1-1 75 (accessories)
2-1-2 Car alarm disarmed
2-1-3 * Central locking
2-1-4 56a (lighting)
2-1-5 Rear window heating
2-1-6 Driver's window open, input
2-1-7 Hazard warning lights
2-2-1 * Accessory protection
2-2-2 Driver's door
2-2-3 Passenger's door
2-2-4 Bonnet - tailgate
2-2-5 * Code EUR/USA
2-2-6 15 (ignition on)
2-2-7 Car alarm armed
2-3-1 50 (starting)
2-3-2 Alternator D+(61)
2-3-3 58 (lighting)
2-3-4 56 (lighting)
2-3-5 Auxiliary driving lights, input
2-3-6 Rear window wiper, 18 sec
2-3-7 Rear window wiper, 6 sec
2-4-1 Reverse gear
2-4-3 Windscreen wiper, speed 1
2-4-4 Intermittent wipe
2-4-5 Windscreen washer
2-4-6 Rear window washer
2-4-7 Seat belt contact
2-5-1 Driver's window, closed
2-5-2 * Key in
2-5-3 * IR input
2-5-4 Direction indicator switch
2-5-5 Full throttle switch, B18EP/FP
* market-dependent

Test function 3 - Testing output signals.
In test function 3 the output signals of the CEM are automatically activated according to a fixed cycle. Information concerning proper or faulty functioning is obtained by observation. If a function is faulty, this can be seen upon completion of the cycle by a readout of test function 1.

Test function 3 is activated by pressing the button three times in succession (direction indicator stalk in left-turn or right-turn position). The program has been completed when the direction indicators start to flash.

After test function 3 has been selected, the CEM will automatically send command signals to components or functions in a fixed sequence. During the test program you will be able to see, for example, that:
· the interior light comes on;
· the central locking system at the passenger's side is activated (closed/opened);
· the driver's door window (and, if applicable, the tilting sun roof is opened and closed; the passenger's door window will only be closed if it is already open;
· the horn is activated as well as the rear window heating and the windscreen wipers (for 1 sweep), etc.

The entire test cycle (about 19 functions) is run through and completed once only.

Faulty or no output signals of the CEM:
· 1 can be observed visually during the test cycle (e.g. the windscreen wipers fail to operate) and
· 2 can be retrieved from the memory - after the test cycle has been completed - in the form of a fault code readout in test function 1.

Note! To observe all functions as well as possible, the direction indicator stalk should be moved to the left-turn or right-turn position, the driver's seat belt should be fastened and both door windows should be in the halfway open position.

Cyclical outputs (function 3)
4-1-1 Seat belt warning
4-1-2 * Status output (car alarm)
4-1-3 LED output
4-1-4 Door open
4-1-5 Interior light
4-3-5 Driver's window open output
4-4-1 Windows + sun roof, closed
4-4-2 Horn
4-4-3 Rear window wiper
4-4-4 Windscreen wiper
4-4-5 Headlight washer
4-5-1 Rear window heating
4-5-3 * LED, central locking system
4-5-4 Direction indicators
4-5-5 Auxiliary driving lights
* market-dependent

Test function 4 - Testing individual output signals.
In test function 4 the output signals are individually activated and tested.

This is done as follows: select test function 4. The LED lights up. Then start to enter a code within 5 seconds, for example 442.

When the first digit of the code (4) has been entered, the LED lights up. Then enter the second digit (4) within 5 seconds, and so on. When the full code has been entered (442) the horn is activated 3 times for +/- 1 second. If more than one function is to be activated, test function 4 will have to be selected again.
Testing outputs (function 4)
4-1-1 Seat belt warning
4-1-2 * Status output (car alarm)
4-1-3 LED output
4-1-4 Door open
4-1-5 Interior light
4-3-5 Driver's window open output
4-4-1 Windows + sun roof, closed
4-4-2 Horn
4-4-3 Rear window wiper
4-4-4 Windscreen wiper
4-4-5 Headlight washer
4-5-1 Rear window heating
4-5-3 * LED, central locking system
4-5-4 Direction indicators
4-5-5 Auxiliary driving lights
* market-dependent

Test function 5 - Information concerning the data and status of the CEM.
With test function 5 a readout of the CEM specification can be obtained and the non-variable input signals can be tested, for example the (accessory) protection of a radio/cassette recorder.

After test function 5 has been engaged a code has to be entered, for example 321; the system will then respond with flash code 211, indicating that this version is CEM III.

Life should be easier there was a diagram but it wont post up would need to email you it. But I stress that the instructions you have been given previously do NOT apply to the CEM 3
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glasgowjim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 18:29   #15
ourwillie

Jim thanks I am of the opinnion that it can be nothing else other than the cem unit or a broken wire which on this car would be unlikely and it would cost me from a friend £20 for a diagonstics link up most likely to establish that. Therefore I think I should preceed and put that towards your cem which is working and just replace this one rather than fool around anymore. I will send the price you asked via paypal same as last time if thats ok with you?
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 18:30   #16
ourwillie

Thanks for all your help Chris its been appreciated.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 19:18   #17
glasgowjim

the volvo 480 does not have a diagnostics port it uses the little box on the front passenger side suspension strut .

Yes Willie no problem.

Last edited by glasgowjim; Apr 6th, 2012 at 22:12.
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 00:30   #18
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Damn, I didn't even clock that was the later CEM. I even wondered why the component count on the PCB looked a little lacking. Sh!t, shows how long I've been away from the 400 series!

That explains quite nicely why you can't find the test mode ground jumper though.

As mentioned, CEM 3 should sing the fault song out the diag port in the engine bay. That's good news; the flash diag system is probably nicer and more accurate than the old 'test mode'!

Same principle applies on the testing, you just have to initiate the test procedures the way GJ has posted.

/Best of luck!

Chris...
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:37   #19
ourwillie

Not just a phrase "but isn't it great to have such dedicated people on a forum such as this we can turn to" I have learned quite a lot since joining here and gained from a parts pov. So gentlemen and by that I dont rule out the possibility of women when I say thanks I mean it!
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:51   #20
ourwillie

Jim your paypal account has been updated with the required amount for the cem thanks.Fingers crossed this sorts it ! ha I reckon I must be a gluten for punnishment as I am considering buying a petrol or diesel freelander 1st gen as a run a round after my son parked his c4 for sale and aquired my v50 dse sport. SO no doubt what I read and hear I will not be short of forum reading with the landrover !