Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"New" Sat Nav?

Views : 2227

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:28   #1
AB-UK
Premier Member

Default "New" Sat Nav?

After putting up with the Volvo crap-nav for 12 years now (in 2 XC90s) I hope the new XC90 has a new and much improved version.
What I find most annoying, is that when approaching roundabouts (or junctions) it will usually say "Take the third exit", or "turn right" but does NOT say onto which road.
It will even repeat this "Take the 1st exit then at the roundabout take the 1st exit" when there are manoeuvres to be made in quick succession.

There are many new or altered junctions on the roads now, and these probably don't feature on the new map setups. However, the layout won't really matter if you are told which road number you should be taking, or in the direction of which town you should be heading.

I have heard phone-based sat navs, as well as Garmin types, tell you which road you will be going onto, and my Wife's Prius has operated like that for 5 years.

Will the new sat-nav avoid the soubriquet "Crap-Nav"?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:48   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Google Maps is so good, and the traffic data so much better than anything else on the market that to be honest I don't even intend to try and learn how to use my XC90 sat nav.

Provided you can cope with the data use and you aren't overseas where data is currently expensive then Google is my choice every day of the week.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:52   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

It would be much easier if all sat nav makers (including Google) looked at Tom Tom and copied them exactly because they've had it nailed for well over a decade.

It's like the wheel. It works, the shape can't be improved, let's accept it, copy it, mass produce it and move on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:23   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It would be much easier if all sat nav makers (including Google) looked at Tom Tom and copied them exactly because they've had it nailed for well over a decade.

It's like the wheel. It works, the shape can't be improved, let's accept it, copy it, mass produce it and move on.
Does TomTom run the live, updated, crowdsourced traffic info data that Google seem to have nailed so well?
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:47   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Does TomTom run the live, updated, crowdsourced traffic info data that Google seem to have nailed so well?
No idea but I take it from the specific wording of your question that Tom Tom doesn't have that feature.
It has good (enough) traffic info though if that's your thing but I can't say I've noticed or been affected.
My take is that if you're too clever and take the lesser route to avoid a delay, there's a good chance a few hundred other motorists have made the same clever choice and you gain little, if anything, off your journey.

I do know that Google Maps has one of the least intuitive and most annoying UI of anything I've ever used and find that you have to look at the screen to assess what's happening far more often than a Tom Tom.
For me, a sat nav should work like a very knowledgeable but discreet passenger you glance at occasionally not a full on visual plate of spaghetti with more information than I need.

I'm a fan of Google in many things but my point is that the nuts and bolts of navigation and clear mapping and instant useable journey info has been boxed off for many years by Tom Tom and too many companies are trying to guild the lily.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:58   #6
alftuper
I've Been Banned

Spot on I've a basic Tom Tom that is far better than the vastly overpriced state of the art system in my wife's bmw
alftuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 16:38   #7
BEJ

My sat nav of choice is a Garmin. Have had them for years with no issues and carry one with full updates in the car - just in case the Volvo one cocks up.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 19:26   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
TomTom had HD traffic long before Google.

HD traffic monitors the speed of sim cards in devices and phones and uses an algorithm to determine hold ups. They also receive downloaded information on actual journey times and compare it with their calculations and adjust routes accordingly. It also programs in bad weather that will affect the average speed.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 5th, 2016 at 19:37.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 21:34   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
TomTom had HD traffic long before Google.

HD traffic monitors the speed of sim cards in devices and phones and uses an algorithm to determine hold ups. They also receive downloaded information on actual journey times and compare it with their calculations and adjust routes accordingly. It also programs in bad weather that will affect the average speed.
I heard of TomTom HD traffic a while back and nearly bought one for it then I discovered I already had google on my phone and also discovered it was fantastic for the traffic (which is what i use it for). I only use satnav occasionally for actual directions (I rather do it in my head and know where I am rather than following directions and just feeling displaced). But I use the google satnav for traffic all the time now and it has genuinely changed my attitude to traffic and alternative routes. I drive 30000 miles pa.

I understand the tomtom and using sim cards but whose cards? Only tomtom subscribers? I believe that the power of google lies in the crowd. 70% of smart phones run android and i think as long as you dont opt out of it then you will be supporting the google traffic info. The power of crowd data lies in the processing and the crowd size and i think the google has it nailed on both counts.

Always interested in alternatives and other tech so would be interested in more info on how the tomtom traffic works.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 22:46   #10
GMTRB5

I believe TomTom uses the same kind of crowdsourcing data approach to its HD traffic system, but only uses Vodafone SIM card data so won't have as much data as Google will do.

TomTom also uses ITIS data (traffic camera data, police info etc) and also uses data from some car manufacturer sat nav data for connected vehicles (not sure which manufacturers).

Like you I'm always trying to find the best source of traffic info .. I've got TomTom HD traffic on my iPhone, but overall I find Google Maps has got more accurate traffic info .. But TomTom has better overall routing algorithms using their IQ routes data...

In my experience anyway
GMTRB5 is offline   Reply With Quote