Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door lights (wing mirrors)

Views : 4565

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2021, 15:31   #31
Jas0nw

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
No that doesn't work, I tried it. The lens can be removed from the original but the rest of it is a moulded part.

On the ebay units the lens is bonded to the unit so trying to split will break it.

Thanks. Thats a shame. I managed to open up the original one by taking the main plastic over off, then lifting 4 little clips which then revealed the lens cover and then the actual LED which could just me lifted out of the housing. I have found a company who have said if I send them the actual LED part (with the 3 prongs on), they will replicate it but just do it at 6000k instead of the dull standard!
Jas0nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 21:35   #32
b1mcp

Modifying the ebay units is not such a big problem. It's just annoying having to do it on what is supposed to be a direct replacement.

You need some miniature files for elongating the holes for the connector. Here's what needs to be done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-26_211342.jpg (171.5 KB, 155 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 00:26   #33
Jas0nw

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
Modifying the ebay units is not such a big problem. It's just annoying having to do it on what is supposed to be a direct replacement.

You need some miniature files for elongating the holes for the connector. Here's what needs to be done.

Thank you for sharing that. It's really odd they sell them as direct replacements but they don't just clip in!
Jas0nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 14:45   #34
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Anyone thinking of doing this the Volvo part numbers you need are as follows...

1 x 31403123 - (l/h door pocket light)
1 x 31403124 - (r/h door pocket light)
2 x 1286317 - (door bottom/sill plate lights)

Here is a video I found showing door card removal...

https://youtu.be/5wyOKlB_RqY
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 09:33   #35
RDesign4Life
Master Member

I did the door pocket lights and sill/ground lights yesterday with genuine Volvo parts. I can also confirm that the wiring was all present and the lights work as soon as plugged in. This is on a late 2015 registered XC60.

I didn't bother dis-connecting the door handle cable - just popped the door card off and supported it on a box while I plugged everything in. A trim removal tool will make getting the door card off easier (I used a wooden spatula).

It's crazy that Volvo scrimped these out of spec and just left holes in the doors. They must be taking their lead from Dacia these days.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 21:10   #36
RDesign4Life
Master Member

https://www.drive2.ru/l/477252094080844371/
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 13:49   #37
Samski21

Default Fitting ground lights 2017 xc60 d4 mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Hey buddy I’m putting the lights in to. When I take the panel off, which wire is it I connect into? Not clear off your picture. Thanks sam
Samski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samski21 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:02   #38
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samski21 View Post
Hey buddy I’m putting the lights in to. When I take the panel off, which wire is it I connect into? Not clear off your picture. Thanks sam
Post numbers 20 and 29 in this thread include the image showing exactly where the wires are for the door pocket and the ground light.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 21:36   #39
The Judderman

Until I stumbled across this thread, I didn't realise that ground lights were a thing.
I fitted some to the underside of my XC60 doors today. I chose cheap Chinese rip-offs from Amazon and am massively impressed (so far). I also exchanged the footwell lights and the boot light.
The difference is amazing. When I opened the doors this evening, it was as though someone had turned the sun back on.
Many thanks to b1mcp for the very informative posts.
The Judderman is online now   Reply With Quote