Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60: On board modem doesn't seem to recognize SIM card

Views : 1558

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 16:23   #1
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Default XC60: On board modem doesn't seem to recognize SIM card

I just picked up a second-hand XC60 (MY18) and bought a data SIM from 3 to use with it. Before putting it into the car, I put the SIM into my phone and made sure that it could access mobile data ok.

When I put it into the car, I selected Settings->Communications->Car Mobile Internet.

After that, I got the spinning "doing something" wheel pop up that didn't go away after well over 5 minutes, so I restarted the system (switched off ignition, locked, and then restarted ignition). After that, I had the option to view the network etc.

When I tap on "Network", I don't see anything listed under "Network operator", none of the options do anything if I tap on them.

I also tried this with the personal SIM from my phone (on Virgin).

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? According to the manual, I should be able to insert the SIM, enable the in-car modem and that should be it.

I know I can get the internet by linking my phone, but I'll need the internal modem for VOC.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:03   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

The vehicle uses it's own inbuilt modem for VOC, so you don't need a P-sim for that. Is the small sim card symbol showing in the top left of the Sensus screen, but no globe symbol? Perhaps the car is in a poor signal area, I have read posts before were folk have had trouble connecting and have moved the vehicle to another area with a stronger signal which solved the problem. As far as I know you seem to have followed the instructions, ticked the connect Car Modum Internet box. Only thing I'm not sure of is if you have to use a Pin No; can't remember if I had to or not.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:15   #3
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have a SIM icon in the top of the Sensus screen, but no globe icon. I put the same SIM into my phone when sitting in the car and got mobile data out of it - and the same with the SIM from my smart phone.

I’ve also been driving around today and at no point did I notice a globe. I didn’t get prompted for a PIN when I put the 3 data SIM into my phone and from looking at the website, it doesn’t have a PIN to start with.

When I look at the VOC settings menu, it says that Volvo ON Call is “Active” but I don’t know what that really means (it says that with no SIM too).

I guess I might need to go to Volvo about this one as I’d really like to use the VOC functionality (especially for preconditioning and trip stats).

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:17   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

By “built in modem”, do you mean that there’s a baked-in sim somewhere and the SIM in the passenger footwell is just there for non-VOC use?

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:56   #5
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Morgan View Post
By “built in modem”, do you mean that there’s a baked-in sim somewhere and the SIM in the passenger footwell is just there for non-VOC use?
Thats correct, the vehicle has it's own dedicated built in Modem* if the car is equipped with VOC. From my understanding if you have a P-sim (personal sim) installed then VOC will use that if you have enabled connect by Car Modem Internet (provided there is a internet connection). If connection is by a Personal Hotspot, ie phone or bluetooth or you do not have personal sim installed then the car uses it's built in sim. Where this sim is located seems to be a closely guarded secret, Ive never read any posts were anyone has located it's whereabouts.

The Volvo ON Call active message, I think means that your subscription is ready to use. Presumably you have generated a User ID and have the app on your phone. As you say it may be easier to let the dealership sort out the final part of the process.

*The inbuilt Modem is solely for VOC. Other connectivity is done by Hot Spot/ Tethering, Bluetooth by phone or other mobile device.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Feb 28th, 2021 at 20:05.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 20:07   #6
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Sounds reasonable to me, so I don’t need to use the personal SIM if I share the internet using my phone. However, there still seems to be an issue that needs to be looked at.

I bought this car from an independent dealer yesterday and they didn’t do anything with VOC, so I assume it’s not yet disabled from the previous owner. Looks like I need to get in touch with Volvo to get these sorted out.

Thanks for the great and clear advice.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 20:19   #7
MikeGMT
VOC Member

No it's not really necessary to have a P-Sim installed to be connected, probably depends on how much data you use and how much data you have with your phone plan. I have 12gb of data a month and always have my phone tethered and have never got near my limit yet, so I just got a Three free 200mb month sim.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 20:41   #8
Polestar Pete
Polestar

I have 4Gb per month on my phone and I hardly ever dig deep into that. However, since I have this 3 SIM, I may as well try to use it.

The dealer seemed to open to paying for any defects (even if I get things fixed by Volvo, so the only thing I’ll lose there is time).

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 20:51   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Hopefully it will be just a few settings here and there that need to be made and you will be good to go.

Mike
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 21:06   #10
Polestar Pete
Polestar

From what I understand, this was a management fleet car, so it’s possible that there’s some associated settings to limit excessive data usage from the car (since sales people will abuse any mobile data that they don’t have to pay for…)

XC60 T8 R Design Pro