Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4t engine characteristics.

Views : 1218

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2014, 01:46   #1
animal47

Default 2.4t engine characteristics.

I have something that is bugging me but not sure if it is actually how these engines are.
I would have thought that being a light pressure turbo that the turbo and torque would be virtually instant but on mine I have about 75% of throttle travel where not much seems to happen and you can't feel any turbo input at all until the throttle peddle is almost fully pressed when it will kick in and pull very well. Surely a lpt should be running nearly all the time even on small throttle openings.
animal47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 15:41   #2
animal47

As far as I can tell the actuator is working as there is a nice bit of resistance but the arm does move smoothly and you can hear the spring working inside so I am thinking that perhaps I should change the tcv as I have now noticed something else, with the peddle about 75% depressed, you can feel the turbo cut in but if you try and feather the throttle on the turbo, you can actually feel the turbo stop boosting until you depress the peddle further and then it boosts again.
So basically it is impossible to get any decent amount of torque by using the turbo without actually flooring it. On my focus st I could actually use the boost but also be economical by just feathering the throttle on the boost and I thought the lpt volvo engine would be even easier to do this on.
I hope I am making sence as it is difficult to describe what is happening.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 19:05   #3
krussel
Premier Member

Its hard to compare as mine is a 5sp auto.

The pedal travel is a long one. Mine is pretty responsive though on a light throttle and the rpm will whip up to 3000rpm which is more than enough to keep up with traffic.

Being a auto its a little different when you push harder as you have the delay of the kickdown. The motor pulls very strong from 3500-5500 with a deep induction roar.

The car does not "feel" that fast when you boot it but when you look at the speedo its like 50-60-80 mph and on. They are heavy cars.

Bit chavy but gives an idea. Watch the speedo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXxzxC48XM
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krussel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 20:32   #4
animal47

Mine is not like that at all, it is ok on very light throttle and is as you would expect, however when putting your foot down more nothing much seems to happen from say 25%-75% throttle when all of a sudden you can feel the turbo spool up and then it pulls really well.
So to sum it up 0-25% throttle is fine, 25-75% throttle does nothing much and then 75-100% turbo spools up and goes really well.
Although I have zero experience of Volvo engines I have driven a fair few turbocharged motors and I have never driven one that needs so much throttle input before the turbo even starts to spool up.
Trouble is I am pretty clueless where to start looking and don't really know who to ask for advice and don't want to start changing loads of parts without having a plan.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 21:04   #5
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Sounds similar to mine tbh, these cars just don't have a good throttle response, I think that the LPT just reaches full pressure at much lower revs compared to a T5 but you still need the throttle wide open.
I've got an open cone filter on mine and you can hear the turbo spool up at light throttle and just 2000rpm but it still doesn't make proper use of it until you press the throttle hard. As Krussel says, they are heavy cars and require the power produced at low throttle inputs just to maintain momentum.

Was your ST remapped? It is said that these LPTs do respond really well to a remap, can't comment there though as I've not driven a remapped one.

BTW, the engine that was in your Focus ST IS a Volvo engine, just a slight evolution of what is in this C70 of yours but fundamentally the same engine!

Edit: I guess if you really think there is a problem (which in my opinion it doesn't sound like there is) then temporarily fit a boost gauge and report back with your findings.

Last edited by AcidicDavey; Nov 11th, 2014 at 21:08.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 23:08   #6
animal47

If mine sounds the same as yours then that is good enough for me, I am just very particular about everything being perfect which drives people mad but then I am the ideal person to buy a used car from lol.
My focus was remapped yes, I actually did it the day I bought it and it was very fast and even though I don't tend to drive fast I do appreciate the torque and being able to go quickly yet not needing to work the motor hard.
One of the reasons I bought this motor was that after lots of reading it became apparent that the t5 is a bit mad with an all or nothing type of power delivery whereas the 2.4t is a much easier to live with engine because of the lpt, I then realised that a stage 1 remap would give me virtually t5 bhp and an even higher torque output yet keep the same lpt smooth drive the only trouble is that remapping the Volvo looks like a very expensive thing to do if using one of the recommended tuners compared to my focus which was pretty cheap and easy to do.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 23:34   #7
brickman
Premier Member

First thing to do is check your fault codes, then boost and vacuum pipes (critical!), then fit a boost gauge so you can see what's happening.

Its either supposed to drive like that (much newer cars, esp recent turbo diesel/petrol ford's I think you get about 70% of the throttle in the first 5% of the pedal travel) or if none of the above finds a problem then could be sticky wastegate?

bear in mind newer car's almost all have VNT turbo's so they can alter their turbine pitch to produce torque at low rev's as well as high rev's, vs. older straight turbos' can only really do one or the other, not both.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brickman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 07:28   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

From what I remember of the V70 2.4T Auto I had it was not like you're describing in fact around town it was nippier than the 850 T5 Auto I had before that.

The torque curve is flat from about 1500 rpm onwards.

I'd suggest you have a problem with the boost control, probabaly with the control soleniod.

What you could do is remove it and give it a blast out with some carb cleaner while you operate it by putting 12V on the terminals.

See if this makes a difference, if it does it will probabaly only be temporary, but it costs little and will help confirm the valve is faulty before you replace it.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 17:08   #9
animal47

Well that's a strange one, was having a poke around the tcv today to get the part number and just gave the connector a little wiggle and now it is like a different car, loads more pull from a much smaller throttle input and the power builds nice and smoothly rather than all or nothing as it was before. I love free fixes, I will get some electrical cleaner now and give the plug a good spray and hopefully it won't happen again. I can only assume that by how perfectly clean the engine bay is that someone has had it steam cleaned recently so must have got some moisture into the contacts.
Replacement wheels and strut brace also turned up today so just a remap to try and sort out now and hopefully a set of lowering springs if I can actually find a set listed for the convertible.
The Following User Says Thank You to animal47 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 17:43   #10
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal47 View Post
Well that's a strange one, was having a poke around the tcv today to get the part number and just gave the connector a little wiggle and now it is like a different car, loads more pull from a much smaller throttle input and the power builds nice and smoothly rather than all or nothing as it was before. I love free fixes, I will get some electrical cleaner now and give the plug a good spray and hopefully it won't happen again. I can only assume that by how perfectly clean the engine bay is that someone has had it steam cleaned recently so must have got some moisture into the contacts.
Replacement wheels and strut brace also turned up today so just a remap to try and sort out now and hopefully a set of lowering springs if I can actually find a set listed for the convertible.
Sounds more like mine now which picks up smooth from 1500 rpm. Looks like you may have cracked the problem. Steam cleaning is fine if you take the car on a good drive afterwards to heat everything up but if a dealer just does it on the forcourt to clean things up that can cause allsorts of trouble.

Just a word about the strutbrace. You will need to inform you insurance as its a suspension mod.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote