Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 DL GL GLE trim differences and possible diesel engines

Views : 8920

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 15:57   #1
revolvor
Sid

Default 240 DL GL GLE trim differences and possible diesel engines

Hi,
I am still searching for a good Wagon and almost tempted to go for a 240 2.3

But the trim levels are confusing me - what are the differences between the DL GL GLE etc is the spec listed in the forum anywhere by any chance - I have been searching but no luck.

Does the DL have elec windows etc, is it the next one up from a Torslanda ?

Also has anyone on here fitted a later type diesel engine in a 240 and if so what type or make ? I have heard some of the later RWD Nissan diesels have been used - has anyone done this ?

Thanks
revolvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 16:03   #2
brodgar
I've Been Banned

just a start

dl-- very basic model- no electric windows/mirrors

gl- front elec windows (mirrors-i dont know)

gle- all electric windows/elec mirrors/ usually leather interior
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 16:14   #3
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

theres also the se......... all electric windows, electric heated mirrors, 2300cc engine, usually has wheel trims. 4 headrests,

and then theres the torslanda........

and the topping glt....

theres a good write up of the 240 and trim levels here on wikipedia....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series

Last edited by 240; Jan 9th, 2012 at 17:37.
240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 16:55   #4
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

I had an A-reg 240 with a Nissan Cabstar engine, 2.5 diesel, for several years.

It vibrated madly at rest, did 33mpg (30 for my petrol Torslander and derv is dearer) and managed all of 40mph up the M40 gradient near Aylsbury!

On the plus side, it pulled in to a petrol station whilst the wife was filling up last year, eleven years after we sold it and still going strong!

A modern engine might be better, but don't expect to save much on fuel.

Edit to add: Some Spanish 240s have a straight-six diesel engine, possibly a VW lump, but I have never looked under the bonnet. Do you have any expat pals to ask?

Last edited by S40T3; Jan 9th, 2012 at 17:01. Reason: add text
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 20:13   #5
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Trim levels:
L (not sold in the UK): base commercial model, no radio, no rear seats and rubber mats instead of carpet. the rear cargo area and rear seat area is panelled in ply.

DL: base model, manual windows/mirrors, cloth/tweed seats (vinyl in rare cases). usually fitted with single stromberg/pierburg 175CD carb. 14" steel wheels.

GL: mid-range model, may be fitted with front electric windows or other options, sometimes have 14" alloy wheels. Interior is usually velour. Engines vary with year, but most common is the B200E with mechanical fuel injection. late ones may be fitted with B200f or B230F EFI engines, early ones can have a carb.

GLE: as GL but usually fitted with B230K engine which has a different head and pistons from other engines, and a solex-cisac carb. Not a popular choice as rebuild parts for this carb are non-existent and fault-finding is difficult.

GLT: range-topping model, basically a 240 turbo minus the turbo. All electric windows and mirrors, leather seats, 15" alloys, gas-charged shock absorbers, 15mm lower springs, thicker anti-roll bars and black body trim instead of chrome. Engine is B230E with mechanical fuel injection.

SE: run-out model produced 1991-1993. Spec varies wildly on these, but usually have electric windows/mirrors (heated mirrors on 1993 model), B200F EFI engine, velour interior and 14" steel wheels. many of these cars had extra options fitted so it's not unusual to find them with leather interior/alloy wheels and other factory accessories.

Torslanda: the other run-out model, produced 1992-1993. As SE but with manual rear windows and mirrors, black GLT body trim, stripe decals on the lower body, and cloth/tweed seats. Only available in silver, white and red.

Most of the trim levels mean completely different things overseas, Volvo was very fond of changing trim levels between countries.

The factory 240 diesel was powered by the Volkswagen D24 6-cylinder 2.4 diesel also fitted to the VW LT commercial vehicles. either very few or no diesel 240s were sold in the UK depending on who you ask, but it's not too hard to find a diesel 940 (with the same VW engine, but turbocharged).

Fitting a newer diesel engine into a 240 is a waste of time in my opinion unless the car has some kind of special value to you, when the cost and difficulty of the engine swap has been taken into account, you'd have been better off buying another car which was diesel to begin with, plus you'll be ruining what little performance a 240 has, and removing the one part which makes them famous for their long life!

if you're looking for maximum MPG (as I'm guessing from the diesel question) get a 2.3 over a 2.0 - they actually get better mileage than the 2.0 as you don't have to press the loud pedal down as much to get it to move. Even the handbook rates the 2.3 as the more economical engine!

Last edited by wooble; Jan 9th, 2012 at 20:17.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 21:22   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

If fuel costs are the issue look for an lpg converted one.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 22:22   #7
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

wooble.... my three se models all have b230f engines
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 22:37   #8
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Since when did you have three! last time I checked you just had Bob!

I know SEs did come with b230 or b200, but the b200 seems to be the more common engine for whatever reason, when I was buying my current one I spent a while looking for a 2.3 and couldn't find one and had to settle for a 2.0.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:31   #9
tannachyallen
240SE

As wooble says, SEs vary wildly. Mine has a 2ltr 200F auto, front electric windows and blue velour upholstry and originally had 14" steel wheels.

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:09   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I have a DL with a B230K engine originally with Cisac carburettor.
I dismantled a GL with exactly the same engine and carburettor.

The DL originally had a 4-speed gearbox, changed to 5-speed by a PO.
The GL had 5-speed as original, but apart from that there were no apparent differences. Neither had electric windows.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote