Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1994 480 S Stuttering In High Gears

Views : 900

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2009, 21:02   #1
fathermaguire
Volvo 480 S Owner

Cool 1994 480 S Stuttering In High Gears

Hello All

As I have only just purchase my 1994 Volvo 480 S on the cheap (200 quid), I knew previous to buying there were some cosmetic and mechanical problems.

I am not very mechanically minded so took a friend along who is a vehicle recovery driver and has alot more experience on such matters.

In 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears there is not problem whatsoever, however in 4th and 5th gears when accelerating harder the car begins stuttering as though there is someone wrong with the fuel getting through to force the car to move properly. When you back off the accelerator and only push the car slowly faster there is no problem.

Even though I am sure my friend and indeed the previous owners idea that it is something to do with the fuel/air mixture I would like it confirmed by people who have had previous experience of this and would appreciate anyone who has to reply.

I have previously owned a Volvo 460 in the past and always liked the look of the 480. I intend over time to restore this car to its former glory and would appreciate any tips.
fathermaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 21:22   #2
grass hopper
Premier Member

worth checking the distributor cap for tracking out,had this fault on the same model many years ago,new cap and rotor arm fixed.also check the leads for tracking out and the plugs for wear.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grass hopper For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2009, 15:55   #3
fathermaguire
Volvo 480 S Owner

Previous owner informed me since original post he had replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm to try and rectify the fault. Have since spoken with local dealership who have offered a solution.

I am going to try using brake cleaner on the stepper motor connection and if it improves the problem slightly then that is what is at fault. Hopefully it won't need replacing as the dealer said its £120 to replace that part, although fleabay has them at £35.
Old May 7th, 2009, 21:48   #4
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathermaguire View Post
Previous owner informed me since original post he had replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm to try and rectify the fault. Have since spoken with local dealership who have offered a solution.

I am going to try using brake cleaner on the stepper motor connection and if it improves the problem slightly then that is what is at fault. Hopefully it won't need replacing as the dealer said its £120 to replace that part, although fleabay has them at £35.
the stepper motor would not cause a misfire,this would cause poor idle,one more thing to have a quick look at is the vacum/turbo control hoses to the turbo actuator.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:35   #5
fathermaguire
Volvo 480 S Owner

The idle is a little strange, usually hovering around 800 RPM then drops like the fuels been cut, the stutter is quite violent when it does do it, almost as though the petrol flow has been stopped completely for a brief second. I am not very mechanically minded and am going on information given to me by the local Volvo dealership John Darke. I would be very concerned if they were giving me information that was incorrect.

Also strangely I have looked online about my car, it has a 2.0 litre engine, whereas most listing for this model only show a 1.7 and mine has no turbo as far as i'm aware. B20F.

Last edited by fathermaguire; May 8th, 2009 at 11:40. Reason: more information added
Old May 22nd, 2009, 13:11   #6
fathermaguire
Volvo 480 S Owner

Just to finish off this post for those interested, the car got gradually worse until recently I was nearly involved in 2 RTA's due to it stalling at roundabouts. I have since had it at a good tuners and the fault ended up being rotor arm. Even though the previous owner said he replaced this and the engineers agreed apparently its a common fault in 480's. So for the first time since owning it I can open her up and let her rip down the bypass. I have to say.... WOW!
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:58   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Hi, glad you got there in the end & I'm hopin the 2 RTA's were not too serious!

The later models had the 2.0ltr engines & although less finicky than the 1.7i (especially Turbo models) they do suffer from some of the old 'foibles'. Idle snags, 'eatin' leads, plugs & dizzy/rotors to mention a few. 2.0ltrs are much easier to work on too, loads more room

As well as there being a lot of good info to be had here try also: http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/

Some really good 'how to' posts to be had, like this one:

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...ic.php?t=15569

For service parts, plugs go for NGK or Volvo IMHO the rest do not last. Leads & Dizzy caps go Volvo................
Try these guys:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/
Good Luck
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 13:00   #8
fathermaguire
Volvo 480 S Owner

Thanks very much for the useful links, have stuck them in my favourites. The previous owner seems to be abit slap happy with certain things. This week an old engine mounting bracket that truly I had not seen was in the engine bay after being replaced and awesomely got stuck near the rear engine mounting bracket and power steering pipes. Once it decided it wasnt happy there anymore it dislodged causing the bracket to drop onto both power steering pipes cutting them with ease and also the gearbox then dropped backwards slightly and reverse gear has been unobtainable ever since. Luckily a mate of a mate is sorting these problems out on the cheap but it still means 2 power steering pipes, a complete rear engine mounting bracket to be replaced that shouldnt. Never mind, once all these problems are ironed out I will be concentrating on the bodywork to restore this car to how it should look. I have to say despite seemingly my wages being almost thrown at this car I can't wait to take it to the coast without fear of another part playing pinball inside the engine bay. And boy does it shift, wish i'd bought one years ago.