Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic fluid change

Views : 11270

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 21:32   #21
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The oil degrades over time and the gearbox needs to adjust the gear changes to suit the condition of the oil. It should adjust itself over time though when it detects different conditions, however you will get a transmission service required message come up on the dash every time you start up if the software is not aware the oil has been changed when it thinks it should have been.

Roy
Ah! That’s what I call a specific answer! Thanks a lot! So no Vida no informing (is that even English?) the car of the oil change thus no adaptation of the engine to the new oil thus... messages and... risk of mechanical failure or... not really?
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 21:42   #22
bertrandls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrmz250 View Post
I changed the gearbox oil in my 2012 XC60 back in November using the drain fill method due to a clunk into drive. Purchased 12L of the correct fluid from Volvo and the drain plug washers etc.
At only 54k the oil was severely black and degraded which suprised me as this XC60 D5 that i bought in June 2017 did not have a tow bar fitted.
Procedure is easy and took about 50 mins from start to finish and the oil level was set with Vida at 53 degrees ,also oil count was reset.
Test drove and found the gearbox was badly slipping when pulling away and gear changes were erratic.
I really did think i had knackered this gearbox and almost put the old oil back in to make things ok.
2 weeks on after the oil change and the TCM adapted to how i drive and the gear changes are now 95 % better but still with a slight slip in 1st gear before the tc clutch engages.
So just beware changing the fluid can have negative effects if the clutch packs , bands and valve block is already worn due to it's detergents and viscosity etc.
Interesting indeed! Do you think the gearbox is... damaged? (Hope not for you!).
Maybe the Gibbons method would be required in your case? The clean intirely the system? Thanks for your post.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 21:43   #23
bertrandls

Quote:
I changed the gearbox oil in my 2012 XC60 back in November using the drain fill method due to a clunk into drive. Purchased 12L of the correct fluid from Volvo and the drain plug washers etc.
At only 54k the oil was severely black and degraded which suprised me as this XC60 D5 that i bought in June 2017 did not have a tow bar fitted.
Procedure is easy and took about 50 mins from start to finish and the oil level was set with Vida at 53 degrees ,also oil count was reset.
Test drove and found the gearbox was badly slipping when pulling away and gear changes were erratic.
I really did think i had knackered this gearbox and almost put the old oil back in to make things ok.
2 weeks on after the oil change and the TCM adapted to how i drive and the gear changes are now 95 % better but still with a slight slip in 1st gear before the tc clutch engages.
So just beware changing the fluid can have negative effects if the clutch packs , bands and valve block is already worn due to it's detergents and viscosity etc.
Oh and what model of Vida did you buy?
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 00:55   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
One drain and fill won't change anywhere near all of the oil as a lot will still be in the system and not in the box. Has to be a pumped change (Gibbons method) and takes 16 litres to achieve a 90% change.

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 20:41   #25
ianrmz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandls View Post
Oh and what model of Vida did you buy?
I used Vida 2014D from ebay.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 20:46   #26
bertrandls

Quote:
So with Vida you can flush your gearbox by yourself? Automatic gearbox right? (I forgot what car you have...)
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 20:48   #27
bertrandls

Quote:
Ok same car... I read your post again... sorry..
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 21:37   #28
ianrmz250

I used Vida to set the correct fluid level at approx. 53-55 degrees and also to reset the oil count.
I did not reset adaptations, it took about 2 weeks for the gearbox to learn my driving style and now changes smoothly.
So you will need Vida regardless to do a DIY fluid change and to set fluid level and fluid count.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 21:59   #29
bertrandls

Quote:
I used Vida to set the correct fluid level at approx. 53-55 degrees and also to reset the oil count.
I did not reset adaptations, it took about 2 weeks for the gearbox to learn my driving style and now changes smoothly.
So you will need Vida regardless to do a DIY fluid change and to set fluid level and fluid count.
I see. Why didn’t you reset the adaptations? I mean it’s not a risk not doing it? (Looks like you did fine but...)
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 22:06   #30
bertrandls

Quote:
It looks like this guy didn't need the Vida... strange...