Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One Of Them "No! No! No!" Moments...

Views : 1945

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 11:59   #1
Puffster

Default One Of Them "No! No! No!" Moments...

Driving down M4 near between Cardiff & Bridgend last night around 22:00, really chucking down with rain, really attrocious conditions. Nothing behind and only one car in front about 100m when all of a sudden he loses it and slams into the central reservation several times. I haul anchors and pull over to the hard shoulder just past the hapless soul in the middle. Traffic still not aware of hazard, thundering by so safer to stay in car and ring emergency. Just got through when someone didn't see the obstruction in the o/side lane until the last minute, clips it and loses control straight for the back of me! Operator got a load of swearwords, whilst I dropped the phone, looked ahead and braced for impact

It never came and I looked up to see the car pass the front of mine and stop on the hard-shoulder. Phew! Phew! Phew! Must've been very close though.

By this time traffic had slowed enough to run over with another chap who'd pulled over and rescue the shaken driver, who was fortunately uninjured and surounded in airbags. The passenger in the other car had banged her head but fortunately a doctor stopped and came to help.

Certainly makes you think when something like that happens. The car that had the original crash simply aquaplaned, lost control and there was probably nothing he could do about it. It certainly looked like the back end stepped out and just threw him at the barrier. I very much doubt that would have happened if his car was AWD and is one of the reasons I've had AWD cars for the last 25 years
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:11   #2
apersson850
Premier Member

If you suffer from aquaplaning you are simply going too fast. If your wheels aren't on the ground any longer (literally in this case), then no drive system will help.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:58   #3
Phillg1986

Going to fast and possibly poor tyre tread depth. Usually its due to going to fast for the conditions... see some idiot in a BMW being cocky in bad rain and he literally just span out in rush hour traffic, lucky no one hit him!
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 13:17   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

Glad your car survived and all credit to you for stopping to help in the first place. In today's society there are far too many willing to just drive on by.

Perhaps if you find yourself in the situation again, you may reconsider the positioning of your vehicle. Maybe moving forward a hundred yards would have removed yourself from the equation. Whilst it's admirable to help, you don't really want to become another obstruction, or even worse, casualty.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 14:28   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Glad your car survived and all credit to you for stopping to help in the first place. In today's society there are far too many willing to just drive on by.

Perhaps if you find yourself in the situation again, you may reconsider the positioning of your vehicle. Maybe moving forward a hundred yards would have removed yourself from the equation. Whilst it's admirable to help, you don't really want to become another obstruction, or even worse, casualty.
This.

Not just the road, either... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYLUL9MRyQ
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 14:36   #6
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffster View Post
Driving down M4 near between Cardiff & Bridgend last night around 22:00, really chucking down with rain, really attrocious conditions. Nothing behind and only one car in front about 100m when all of a sudden he loses it and slams into the central reservation several times. I haul anchors and pull over to the hard shoulder just past the hapless soul in the middle. Traffic still not aware of hazard, thundering by so safer to stay in car and ring emergency. Just got through when someone didn't see the obstruction in the o/side lane until the last minute, clips it and loses control straight for the back of me! Operator got a load of swearwords, whilst I dropped the phone, looked ahead and braced for impact

It never came and I looked up to see the car pass the front of mine and stop on the hard-shoulder. Phew! Phew! Phew! Must've been very close though.

By this time traffic had slowed enough to run over with another chap who'd pulled over and rescue the shaken driver, who was fortunately uninjured and surounded in airbags. The passenger in the other car had banged her head but fortunately a doctor stopped and came to help.

Certainly makes you think when something like that happens. The car that had the original crash simply aquaplaned, lost control and there was probably nothing he could do about it. It certainly looked like the back end stepped out and just threw him at the barrier. I very much doubt that would have happened if his car was AWD and is one of the reasons I've had AWD cars for the last 25 years
It's obviously scary for the person who has just crashed, but almost every time I've seen someone who's crashed or broken down on the motorway, they've not had any hazard lights on. I can understand why they'd no have headlights on if they don't know how to do this once the engine has stalled, but no hazard lights is crazy.

RE: aquaplaning - although it's unfair to make judgement, I tend to agree with everyone else. Most problems are due to people doing too fast - simple as that.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 21:55   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Aquaplaning or the avoidance of it is why I change my tyres at 3mm tread depth. Even moderate speeds in standing water with less than 3mm can cause you problems and from experience I know the M4 can hold a lot of water.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 22:52   #8
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Three young guys in their early 20's were killed on the A38 last year, torrential rain, and high winds and under inflated tyres caused a loss of control.
Van was doing about 55mph.
See the flowers there every day, very sobering sight.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 10:21   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

A guy I knew was killed because he stopped to help in a situation similar to the OP. Would I stop No. Its to dangerous and as the OP nearly found you can easily become part of it. Leave it to the people who are paid to do it.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 12:37   #10
Puffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
A guy I knew was killed because he stopped to help in a situation similar to the OP. Would I stop No. Its to dangerous and as the OP nearly found you can easily become part of it. Leave it to the people who are paid to do it.
Fair enough but if that guy had been seriously injured and by giving first aid, would have survived or if the car had burst into flames and he'd roasted, then I would not have forgiven myself because I could have done something to save him but didn't.

I'd stop again under the same circumstances though this time I'll have a florescent rainproof jacket in the car as I got utterly soaked standing by the side of the road.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post: