Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DRLs (not the usual)

Views : 1850

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 18:11   #1
DWM
VOC Member

Default DRLs (not the usual)

When those cheapskates at Volvo made my particular car's model they were (as I understand it) aiming at stripping it of every luxury in an attempt to grab a slice of a certain fleet market. So it has an unchromed 740 badge, and so on.

In trimming things back one of the things they didn't give it was DRLs. (Shock, I know.)

Now I quite like DRLs - just on aesthetic grounds - I'm not pushing for yet another re-run of the safety debate. It seems to me it's not really a proper 740 unless it has them.

Now one thing I can do is just leave the headlight switch on. Then I have dipped beam when running, and they go off when I return the key to position 0. So that gives me most of what I like - the leave-it-and-never-touch-it-again headlight switch, plus the smug feeling that I'm in a car whose manufacturer thought of something decades ago that others are just now picking up on.

But there are two niggles:

1. That way, dipped beams are still on when key is in position 1, which is where it would be if I have killed the engine but am still listening to the end of a song or news item or whatever. And that's needlessly wasteful of battery. (By contrast the V40 lights come on only with key in position 2, but the radio still works in position 1.)

2. Proper DRLs on a 740 have to be the sidelight/corner ones, not the dipped beams, right?

So:

Is there an easy way to put in what Volvo left out? I mean could one swap a switch or a relay or something, or is it going to be more complicated than that? (Please note that I am HOPELESS at understanding electrical things (dyselectric? ) - it's a blind spot of mine.)

Last edited by DWM; Sep 23rd, 2012 at 18:17.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 18:21   #2
stephend
Premier Member

Check your fuses. IIRC, the DRLs - which are indeed the little ones above the indicators - are on their own fuse, which may have blown. That was certainly the case on mine, although it was the garage who spotted and fixed it, so I can't tell you which one. Your handbook should say.

Incidentally, on mine the main lights sometimes come on dimly with the switch at 0. I don't think they're supposed to, and I think it's a minor fault with a relay or some such, but haven't bothered to investigate as yet.

Ps on dyselectricity: the tale is told by physicist Peter Scheuer of his National Service spent in the Signals Corps, being told by his sergeant instructor "all you have to know is Ohm's Law - but you have to know it bl00dy well!".
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5

Last edited by stephend; Sep 23rd, 2012 at 18:24.
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 18:29   #3
DWM
VOC Member

Thanks - that never occurred to me - note how I just leapt up to blame the manufacturer instead of thinking of a thing called a fuse. I shall have to go and look.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 18:55   #4
DWM
VOC Member

I would happily have taken the total humiliation on the chin if it had made it work, but sadly no joy yet.

Manual says 15A in slot 25 (which was empty). Tried that - no joy.
Sticker on the back of the cover behind the ashtray says slot 23 (also empty). Tried that too - no joy.

Sidelights definitely work by themselves when switch is in the sidelight position (and also come on with headlights when switch is in the dipped beam position).
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 19:01   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

Being 88/ 89 it should (or should it be could) have dim dip headlights in addition to DRL, my 89 740 Turbo had dim dip which had a mind of their own - Sorry this is of little help but it might be worth investigating if the car has dim dip and it's faulty - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 19:17   #6
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Being 88/ 89 it should (or should it be could) have dim dip headlights in addition to DRL, my 89 740 Turbo had dim dip which had a mind of their own - Sorry this is of little help but it might be worth investigating if the car has dim dip and it's faulty - Mike
In my appalling ignorance I had to look up dim dip (and found another fascinating story of the failure of UK vs EU legislation rather like the HID issue). I think I noticed that slot 25 on mine was (according to the sticker in the car) for dim dip.

I'll have to try again - harder - when it's light and not pouring, I think.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 19:25   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

I only mention the dim dip as not many people seem to know about it and when it goes wrong it can mess up the lights, not too sure how many models had it fitted but your fault could be down to someone disabling the dim dip so it is worth checking - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 19:51   #8
stephend
Premier Member

See this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=158481&page=2

for a photo which shows you where the dim/dip relay is (close to the bonnet release pull).

By the way, I believe the little lights above the indicators are not the sidelights: the latter are part of the main headlamp.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 20:32   #9
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

When I first got my car I wanted to switch all the running lights off. I found the ignition on dim dip headlamps was controlled by a seperate circuit fed from the ignition switch.
To get this to work correctly there are different main lighting switches. If you look at the back of an early switch it has one (I think) terminal in a different place to the one for cars with DRL's.
I went as far as to modify a standard switch and fit it but found I had missed something in the wiring and the headlamp relay got a bit hot. I ended up putting it all back together as standard and have not bothered with it since.

If you wanted to fit them to a car it would involve an in depth look at the wiring to meke it work as Volvo intended. If your car doesn't have the right wiring then perhaps by fiting another rocker switch in one of the spare holes and a feed direct from the ignition (disconnect the original to the light switch) would work.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 20:42   #10
stephend
Premier Member

DWM, do your DRL lights (i.e. the ones above the indicators) come on at all, in any of the switch positions?